Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a friend of the family with their 2005 Toyota Corolla this week. The biggest concern for them was the AC stopped working. But you know me, I'm under the hood asking questions cause it's not running so good...
I found oil in the spark plug tubes so you gotta install a new valve cover gasket...

Can't have the coils off without installing a new set of NGK Ruthenium HX plugs for those coughAuto coughLite cough plugs...

Also installed a new PCV valve. The old wire clamp had to go...

Next, tho not an easy task since it is a 6 pulley set up 馃槄, there was a great need to change the drive belt...

After all this and cleaning the MAF, it was doing much better except the to lean engine code I was getting. After some research, I found that these engines are prone to intake manifold leak. So I got the intake off waiting on a RockAuto order for a new gasket....

Reactions: The Todd and aggrex

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
And I thought I was OCD. But, man, next time I'm in Texas I wanna drop by so you can give my ride the once over. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the real reason for my checking this vehicle out was the AC. There was no power to the blower motor or the compressor button. After checking all fuses and relays (that were obvious),these checked out ok. Hot wire tested both the compressor and the blower motor. These also proved to be ok. I was concerned about there not being enough freon in the system. The owner said they were having to put freon in once a year. So the search began for a leak and I found this... 馃

Installed a new Denso condenser, charged it with freon and still a no go. At this point I'm thinking I got a short in the wiring, rat attack, something 馃. I begin to dismantle the console, everything checks out. I could see a large bundle of wiring above the glovebox. I decided to remove the entire dashboard, airbag and all. Now I thought Honda had done some dumb stuff over the years, but Toyota gets the prize. After lifting the dashboard off, I found a row of relays just above the glovebox, with no way to access except by removing the dashboard. Seriously Toyota? 馃槨 So there it was, a burned out melted 5 pronged Denso relay...

So I wait patiently for my RockAuto order. I will have to bypass this outlet completely, soldering female quick conections to each wire and just let the new relay hang.

Reactions: The Todd and aggrex

Registered
So the real reason for my checking this vehicle out was the AC. There was no power to the blower motor or the compressor button. After checking all fuses and relays (that were obvious),these checked out ok. Hot wire tested both the compressor and the blower motor. These also proved to be ok. I was concerned about there not being enough freon in the system. The owner said they were having to put freon in once a year. So the search began for a leak and I found this... 馃
View attachment 148028
Installed a new Denso condenser, charged it with freon and still a no go. At this point I'm thinking I got a short in the wiring, rat attack, something 馃. I begin to dismantle the console, everything checks out. I could see a large bundle of wiring above the glovebox. I decided to remove the entire dashboard, airbag and all. Now I thought Honda had done some dumb stuff over the years, but Toyota gets the prize. After lifting the dashboard off, I found a row of relays just above the glovebox, with no way to access except by removing the dashboard. Seriously Toyota? 馃槨 So there it was, a burned out melted 5 pronged Denso relay...
View attachment 148030
So I wait patiently for my RockAuto order. I will have to bypass this outlet completely, soldering female quick conections to each wire and just let the new relay hang.
Does that relay switch power to the blower motor, the A/C compressor (clutch) or something else?
Is something such as the blower motor drawing more power than it should, which caused the relay to fail?
Or, if this is the A/C compressor/clutch relay, could a low level of freon have been causing it to turn on and off too frequently?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does that relay switch power to the blower motor, the A/C compressor (clutch) or something else?
Is something such as the blower motor drawing more power than it should, which caused the relay to fail?
Or, if this is the A/C compressor/clutch relay, could a low level of freon have been causing it to turn on and off too frequently?
This obviously is a big break in the power supply. Some very heavy gauge wiring is connected to this relay. I am hopeful that once it's replaced, the power to the fan control and compressor switch will be restore.
Yes, my original assumption was that the low freon was causing the system not to work. That was before I found this hidden relay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VCM muzzler and Maxlife 3 times ATF drain and fill and all will be good.(y);)
I believe the MaxLife ATF is already in it. 馃榿 The rest of the car will likely fall apart before the engine and transmission. Sadly.

Registered
And I thought I was OCD. But, man, next time I'm in Texas I wanna drop by so you can give my ride the once over. :)
View attachment 148028
View attachment 148030
Wow, impressive find. Now I'm making the trip to TX just for that, even if I have to have it towed. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welp,
Got the rest of the parts in today to finish up this project.
Since I had the intake manifold off, I noticed the throttle body was a little dirty, so I gave it a good cleaning with CRC and an old toothbrush.
Before and After​

Installed a new throttle body gasket.

Next, got the intake manifold prepped and installed a new gasket.

A little cleaning makes it look nice and new. :p

And now, I'm happy to say that after installing a new 5 prong relay from Standard Motor Products, the AC fan control and the AC compressor button works as designed. I did have to cut the wires out of the relay outlet box and soldier on some connectors, but hey, it's working and the owner is happy. 馃榿馃憤

AC is nice and cool 馃ザ
Returned to owner, but probably do a few more things later on.
Toyota Nation forum 馃か

Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
This is awesome! You did a great job. How many miles does the Corolla have?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: The Todd

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
Welp,
Got the rest of the parts in today to finish up this project.
Since I had the intake manifold off, I noticed the throttle body was a little dirty, so I gave it a good cleaning with CRC and an old toothbrush.
Before and After​
View attachment 148169
Installed a new throttle body gasket.
View attachment 148171
Next, got the intake manifold prepped and installed a new gasket.
View attachment 148173
A little cleaning makes it look nice and new. :p
View attachment 148175
And now, I'm happy to say that after installing a new 5 prong relay from Standard Motor Products, the AC fan control and the AC compressor button works as designed. I did have to cut the wires out of the relay outlet box and soldier on some connectors, but hey, it's working and the owner is happy. 馃榿馃憤
View attachment 148177

View attachment 148178
AC is nice and cool 馃ザ
Returned to owner, but probably do a few more things later on.
Toyota Nation forum 馃か

Oh No way! I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm not......

Awesome work!!!!

Reactions: Nail Grease

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And got his next trick @Nail Grease wil clean up the EGR and PCv systems....
Speaking of the EGR valve on this LE model, @RockAuto sells an EGR valve listed under 2005 Corolla. I finally determined that it doesn't exist on this year model. I really like RA's website, but they really need to do a better job of not offering parts that do not belong on a particular vehicle.
And yes, the PCV valve was replaced too (post #1). 馃榿

Registered
Man, that throttle body now looks so clean I'd drink my morning coffee out of it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts