Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone- I need an opinion, I have 2005 with 120K, I replaced the timing belt in 2012 based on the recommended 7 years even though it was way below the 105K limit back then, now its 8 years later, do you think I should replace the timimg belt again? THese days I put on less than 3K a year, if it dont and I chance it & it does break, does it ruin the engine? thanks!

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
I need an opinion, I have 2005 with 120K, I replaced the timing belt in 2012 based on the recommended 7 years even though it was way below the 105K limit back then, now its 8 years later, do you think I should replace the timimg belt again? THese days I put on less than 3K a year, if it dont and I chance it & it does break, does it ruin the engine?
Yes and yes.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Rubber dries out with age. But it's not just the belt; other parts of the kit can fail, too, like the tensioner, for example.

Time for an Aisin kit.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
What position would you be in if the belt broke, since the engine (valves and pistons) will likely be damaged if the belt snaps? That repair will be many times more expensive than having the timing belt replaced. If you’re in a financial position to just walk away from the Pilot and purchase something else should the belt break, then perhaps it makes sense to roll the dice and not change it.

As a sample size of 1, the original belt on my wife’s 2005 Pilot was changed out at the 11 year ~80k mile mark. That was my risk threshold. The dealer replaced the belt, tensioner, water pump, and coolant for that service.

As mentioned above, what was replaced in 2012 besides the timing belt should also factor into your decision.

Additionally, if you are doing the work yourself then it probably makes sense to not chance it and replace all necessary parts now.

Reactions: aggrex and ConrodM

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hi everyone- I need an opinion, I have 2005 with 120K, I replaced the timing belt in 2012 based on the recommended 7 years even though it was way below the 105K limit back then, now its 8 years later, do you think I should replace the timimg belt again? THese days I put on less than 3K a year, if it dont and I chance it & it does break, does it ruin the engine? thanks!
Time and / or mileage. The tbelt isn’t the maintenance to skip. It will destroy the engine if it breaks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
+1. This is just cost of doing business with a Pilot. A 2005 with a toasted motor is worth nothing. With a fresh timing belt, it's worth a lot more. If you're going to keep the vehicle, you'll have to do the work. Do it now and get it over with.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
On a related note, has anyone found anywhere cheaper than Rockauto (linked above) to purchase the Aisin timing belt kit? TIA
I bought a few bucks less from Amazon. But Amazon didn't pack as well and no free magnet.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Besides the egregious dearth of someone else's cooler-than-yours car magnet for the beer fridge in your garage (whose wife would ever let them put those on the "good" fridge?). Amazon has been known to let more than a few fakes slip by. Case in point: NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs, also recommended for your Pilot. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
285 Posts
as a former amazon employee I can tell you your items are not well cared for but the aisin kit is so well packaged it could survive the trip from warehouse to front porch. mine did and if it was a fake they did a hell of a good counterfeit parts!

our engine has nice inspection covers that are pretty easy to remove and check on the belt condition although a visual and touch inspection only tells part of the story. at 8 years old, the previous owners kit had a belt that seemed to be just fine however literally every other piece failed in some way (tensioner in and out, all bearings were making noise, water pump gasket leaking, water pump bearing failing)

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Besides the egregious dearth of someone else's cooler-than-yours car magnet for the beer fridge in your garage (who's wife would ever let them put those on the "good" fridge?).
The wife hasn't complained about the magnets since no one comes over right now (pandemic). She does however, complain when I blow something up in the microwave. Lol 🤗

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Amazon has been known to let more than a few fakes slip by. Case in point: NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs, also recommended for your Pilot. Caveat emptor.
as a former amazon employee I can tell you your items are not well cared for but the aisin kit is so well packaged it could survive the trip from warehouse to front porch. mine did and if it was a fake they did a hell of a good counterfeit parts!
The Aisin kit comes in it's well defined, hard to duplicate box.

So I didn't question the authenticity of the item. The Aisin stamped water pump and tensioner, Koyo bearings, Mitsuboshi belt all would be difficult to fake. If it were shipped by Amazon at a lower price, I would not hesitate to buy from them. Fear of getting a fake would not be the reason. I'm usually looking for other parts like drive belt, seals, drive belt tensioner, spark plugs etc., parts associated with this job, so with combined order, RockAuto may win out.
I've bought NGK Laser Iridiums from an Amazon supplier at a reduced price. After concerns that they were fakes, further inspection revealed that they were produced at the Japan manufacturing facility and bootlegged into the U.S.
I'm not fond of buying auto parts from Amazon suppliers (or Ebay). I won't do that again.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
285 Posts
yes, so direct (ship & sold by amazon) or rockauto to be on the safe side. prices should be within 10% of each other but are sometimes more! I got my timing kit shipped to me free overnight from amazon so can't argue with that

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
The wife hasn't complained about the magnets since no one comes over right now (pandemic). She does however, complain when I blow something up in the microwave. Lol 🤗 View attachment 143084
She's a keeper, then. :) My RA magnets were tolerated on the good fridges back when there was still a regular stream of kiddie artwork to be posted, but as the need subsided as they grew older, magnets now go to the beer fridge in the garage.

as a former amazon employee
I got my timing kit shipped to me free overnight from amazon so can't argue with that
No fair, you got insider perks. :p

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
63 Posts
Hate to sound stupid but I'm not mechanically incline. But I do come here everytime I have something I am looking for. What is the exact AISIN kit I need for my 2009 EX-L with 80K miles on it? Link to would be appreciated. Also, should I change plugs now too?

I just talk to my mechanic last week during policy change and he suggested I do everything at 100K, which could be another 4 years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hate to sound stupid but I'm not mechanically incline. But I do come here everytime I have something I am looking for. What is the exact AISIN kit I need for my 2009 EX-L with 80K miles on it? Link to would be appreciated. Also, should I change plugs now too?

I just talk to my mechanic last week during policy change and he suggested I do everything at 100K, which could be another 4 years.
Here is the kit for your 2009 Pilot through RockAuto:

You can also find it on Amazon maybe cheaper, but there's a bit of a risk of it being counterfeit (probably just fine though.)

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
63 Posts
Here is the kit for your 2009 Pilot through RockAuto:

You can also find it on Amazon maybe cheaper, but there's a bit of a risk of it being counterfeit (probably just fine though.)
Thanks. So this kit fits a range of years... a few dollar difference isn't a big deal where I buy, just don't want the wrong kit.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
RockAuto 5% Discount Code: 31517DFA058403
Expires: February 12, 2021

Enter this code in the box... "How did you hear about us?" Then click the shipping box of your choice for the 5% off to be recalculate in the total.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts