Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't visited this site in about 10 years but I am pleased to say my 2005 Pilot is still going strong. I bought it when my first son was born and in a few months he will be driving it!

I am replacing the factory stereo with a modern Bluetooth enabled stereo. I am also installing a backup camera. I think I can do the installation but I am not sure how to run the camera wire from the rear of the car to the new radio. Does anyone know the best route to run the wire?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
I haven't visited this site in about 10 years but I am pleased to say my 2005 Pilot is still going strong. I bought it when my first son was born and in a few months he will be driving it!

I am replacing the factory stereo with a modern Bluetooth enabled stereo. I am also installing a backup camera. I think I can do the installation but I am not sure how to run the camera wire from the rear of the car to the new radio. Does anyone know the best route to run the wire?

Thanks
Take back panel off to the hatch run the wire from the plate you’ll see a wire harness there follow the harness it should be on the left side of the hatch coming out of the geomet start binding under weather strip into side panel then the plastic rocker panel under the dash to the head unit oh don’t forget to hook up the wire to reverse lights go to crutchfeild they have everything you’ll need to hookup the head unit with backup camera

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take back panel off to the hatch run the wire from the plate you’ll see a wire harness there follow the harness it should be on the left side of the hatch coming out of the geomet start binding under weather strip into side panel then the plastic rocker panel under the dash to the head unit oh don’t forget to hook up the wire to reverse lights go to crutchfeild they have everything you’ll need to hookup the head unit with backup camera
Ok so it sounds like I am not removing panels on the inside of the car (except the hatch door) and just tucking the wire under the trim along the floor to get it to the front?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Generally, the wire is run from dash along door sills, up the rear pillar, along rear edge of headliner and through rubber channel connecting tailgate to body. You essentially follow the existing harnesses. One (somewhat easier) option is to mount the camera in the rear bumper, not in the tailgate. You likely will need to pop off a few trim panels here and there, but nothing major..

Camera hookups themselves fall into two categories, and before doing anything else, you need to determine which is yours.
A. Camera power wired to reverse lights circuit, so camera is only powered when reverse lights are on. Head unit does not have a reverse signal wire, and displays rear camera when it detects signal from it. Makes for a somewhat easier install (only signal wire has to be run to the head), but limited functionality. This was how I had rear camera wired for the Pioneer head in my 2007 Pilot.

B. Camera always powered on when car is on. Head has a special reverse signal wire that typically gets spliced to a proper wire from under-dash fuse box. Camera power is provided either by head itself or you need to find an ACC source elsewhere. That is how my Alpine head is wired in my 2013 Pilot. The plus is that I can turn on rear camera anytime, not just by shifting to reverse.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
What stereo and camera are you using? I just bought a 2005 and wanna update it. Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
View attachment 143656
View attachment 143657 View attachment 143658
Ok so it sounds like I am not removing panels on the inside of the car (except the hatch door) and just tucking the wire under the trim along the floor to get it to the front?

Thanks for your help!
no problem brother
Another mod on my list. Following
View attachment 143656 View attachment 143657 View attachment 143658
What stereo and camera are you using? I just bought a 2005 and wanna update it. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stereo: Sony XAV-V10BT
Amp for the subwoofer: Alpine KTP-190U
Camera: Brandmotion
Steering wheel control: idatalink Maestro SW

I got everything from Crutchfield except the Amp. finding an amp to drive that weird 2 ohm sub can be difficult. The install was easier than I thought it would be. My only disappointment is the Sony doesn't automatically show the rear camera view when you put the car in reverse. You have to select the camera when the car is in reverse for it to work.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
Crutchfeild is where I bought it and the camera everything is compatible thanks to the sales representative go online or give them a call they make sure everything fits like it came from factory

I got everything from Crutchfield except the Amp. finding an amp to drive that weird 2 ohm sub can be difficult. The install was easier than I thought it would be. My only disappointment is the Sony doesn't automatically show the rear camera view when you put the car in reverse. You have to select the camera when the car is in reverse for it to work.

How about this 10inch subwoofer lol

·
Registered
744 Posts
Indeed looks like that Sony head model is on a less featured side. I checked the manual - there is no 'reverse' signal wire on the harness, and no 'signal sensing' option, so yeah, have to activate the camera manually. Frankly, looks like a very poor choice overall. No Apple CarPlay/Android Auto either. Maybe it is still possible to return and get something better? If you are already paying around $230 for a head unit, going up to a $280-300-ish price point can really get you some good features.

About the sub: the one shown in the post above is a rather poor fit - It is going to stick out. There is a 'shallow mount' class of subs that fits the factory location perfectly.
When I was upgrading audio in my previous 2007 Pilot, I went with this model (or rather its predecessor at the time)

And presently on my 2013, I got this:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts