Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a shudder/engine stutter for lack of a better term at around 1800-2000 rpm. It happens when i am in that rpm and holding that speed say on a 30mph road. I can make it stop by giving it a little more throttle. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I get a shudder/engine stutter for lack of a better term at around 1800-2000 rpm. It happens when i am in that rpm and holding that speed say on a 30mph road. I can make it stop by giving it a little more throttle. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?
This is usually an indication of needing to change the transmission fluid. Has this been done? Has the ATF filter been replaced?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt the trans fluid has ever been changed. 173K miles. I have everything to change fluid and filter, washers, etc but I haven't done it yet. I was thinking that might be it. Thank you!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Recommendation to go with Valavoline MaxLife ATF in 3, 2, 1...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I doubt the trans fluid has ever been changed. 173K miles. I have everything to change fluid and filter, washers, etc but I haven't done it yet. I was thinking that might be it. Thank you!
Did it help to change trans fluid, bec im having same issue right now

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did it help to change trans fluid, bec im having same issue right now
Benguru, it helped 100%. I only changed the fluid one time (while others say do it 2 to 3 times after some interval of driving) and the difference is night and day. I used Valvoline Max Life that I got from Walmart, Cost was about $50 for fluid, filter, O-rings and crush washers. I got everything but fluid online. I gave the car to my nephew for his 16th birthday and bought a 2020 Toyota Tundra, but I would probably change it once more. Pilot had 173K when i did the ATF change and like yours probably hadn't been done before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Benguru, it helped 100%. I only changed the fluid one time (while others say do it 2 to 3 times after some interval of driving) and the difference is night and day. I used Valvoline Max Life that I got from Walmart, Cost was about $50 for fluid, filter, O-rings and crush washers. I got everything but fluid online. I gave the car to my nephew for his 16th birthday and bought a 2020 Toyota Tundra, but I would probably change it once more. Pilot had 173K when i did the ATF change and like yours probably hadn't been done before.
If you watch some Youtube videos on it, there is at least one good one. I ended up only taking off what was absolutely necessary under the hood to get access to the filter and the fill plug. Always remove fill plug first with a socket and a long extension, before you remove drain plug. That way you can be sure you can refill it. Another trick i did was put a small dab of grease on back side of filter to hold the spring in place when replacing with new. I used a very small amount, just enough to get the spring to stick to filter. To fill ATF back up I used a long thin funnel with a piece of clear hose attached. Filled it less than i thought it needed and put filler plug back in. Started car and ran it through the gears several times while it warmed to operating temp. To get down into low gear you have to pull back more than usual on shifter (i think). There was something I had to do that wasn't like a normal shift, but you'll figure it out. Checked, fluid and added as necessary. Have fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
K
If you watch some Youtube videos on it, there is at least one good one. I ended up only taking off what was absolutely necessary under the hood to get access to the filter and the fill plug. Always remove fill plug first with a socket and a long extension, before you remove drain plug. That way you can be sure you can refill it. Another trick i did was put a small dab of grease on back side of filter to hold the spring in place when replacing with new. I used a very small amount, just enough to get the spring to stick to filter. To fill ATF back up I used a long thin funnel with a piece of clear hose attached. Filled it less than i thought it needed and put filler plug back in. Started car and ran it through the gears several times while it warmed to operating temp. To get down into low gear you have to pull back more than usual on shifter (i think). There was something I had to do that wasn't like a normal shift, but you'll figure it out. Checked, fluid and added as necessary. Have fun
Thank you so much I'll definitely try

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I only changed the fluid one time (while others say do it 2 to 3 times after some interval of driving)
In certain instances where there has been transmission troubles, Honda has recomended multiple drain and fills of the ATF to remove and dilute the old. The capacity of these transmissions is around 9 quarts. Since a mechanical flush of our transmissions is not recommended, multiple drain and fills with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF will help this product do what it says on the back of the bottle. I'd prefer to have 80-90% full synthetic ATF than the 30% one drain and fill will give me. Once this is accomplished, change the fluid once every 3rd oil change to keep it fresh.

Reactions: uncle914

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car makes more of like a hissing sound do u think its same sound? Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No mine was a shake shudder at low rpms. I guess it wanted to shift. Vacuum? While moving?

·
Registered
159 Posts
@plplplpl could you elaborate on how this is a symptom of transmission issues? My first thought would be either an engine issue or a harmonics issue.

In any case, its probably worth checking:
  • engine mounts
  • cv axles
  • alignment
  • wheel bearings

--Chris N.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Shudder, a most people understand the term, is a longer wave vibration, shaking and hesitation that is usually contemporaneous with gears turning and/or changing. Not always, though. Could also be something else.

Once this is accomplished, change the fluid once every 3rd oil change to keep it fresh.
Unlike my friend here, I'm a spendthrift cheap [email protected] (hope you appreciate my oxymoron), so I live it up and change my Valvoline Maxlife ATF every second oil change as cheap transmission insurance. Carpe diem, baby!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
If that shudder or flutter happens at those speeds on light throttle, you need to replace the third and fourth gear switches.
Very common on first gens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts