Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audio overhaul in my ‘05 with nav. I bought new door speakers, RF 165’s (which will still mount in factory plastic mounting plates after you cut out a tiny notch in them to allow the speaker connections). I installed a 4 channel amp in the navigation driver location. Being that the nav system is basically useless at this point, I gutted the driver out, had my twin brother fab a mounting panel for the 4 channel amp to mount the amp in the same location as the nav driver, and ran all my wiring through the seat frame, and under the center console. It came out AWESOME. the nav screen never turns on, and until I figure out a solution to removing the screen and not having a hole there, it is perfectly fine for now. I mounted the sub amp under the 3rd row seat on the driver side. It’s hidden well and would never know it’s there unless you looked. Routed all wires under carpeting and trim panels, no exposed wires or obvious signs of molesting. It came out awesome. I used the Sony XAV-AX1000 headunit with CarPlay. So I can use my nav from my phone and it displays on the headunit. I used a slim JL audio 10” sub, lots of base at 200 watts from the mono amp. The sound is perfect, lots of sound and bass! I wish I got more pictures, but unfortunately I didn’t.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Looks good and probably sounds great. (y)

A couple of questions:
  1. Is the third row seat the amp is under still able to fold down flat?
  2. Why didn't you install your new unit up above the vents, where the old nav unit is, where it would be easier and safer to look at while you're driving? Isn't it also double DIN?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good and probably sounds great. (y)

A couple of questions:
  1. Is the third row seat the amp is under still able to fold down flat?
  2. Why didn't you install your new unit up above the vents, where the old nav unit is, where it would be easier and safer to look at while you're driving? Isn't it also double DIN?
That is the only drawback of mounting the amp under that seat, it can’t fold down all the way.
And there wouldn’t be a point to replace the nav unit. It uses a different mounting system, I would have to extend all factory radio wires to reach to the nav location. Speakers, remote turn on, power, etc. and then I would have a big hole where the radio used to be. In my opinion it wasn’t worth the effort to do all of that just to move the radio up. I like the factory radio location so I didn’t want to change it. And yes it is also double din.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looks good. But I would definitely extend the harness and mount new head in the top section. Pretty sure Crutchfield sells a mounting adapter for that. Then bottom section could be converted to a storage pocket. Would also put the amp under the front passenger seat. That's were I had it in my previous 2007 Pilot. I need to load my Pilot quite often and not being able to fold third row all way down (sometimes, second row as well) would be a huge no for me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good. But I would definitely extend the harness and mount new head in the top section. Pretty sure Crutchfield sells a mounting adapter for that. Then bottom section could be converted to a storage pocket. Would also put the amp under the front passenger seat. That's were I had it in my previous 2007 Pilot. I need to load my Pilot quite often and not being able to fold third row all way down (sometimes, second row as well) would be a huge no for me.
Under the front passenger seat is where I installed the 4 channel amp for the speakers. Two amps wouldn’t fit. And I never saw anything like that on Crutchfield maybe I missed it, and they don’t sell the mounting brackets to mount the headunit in the nav slot. I feel like the nav screen is way too high, and kind of awkward to use so having the head unit lower and easier to mess with all the time was fine with me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quite a few 5+ channel amps out there (I put in a Rockford Fosgate R600X5: 75W x4 for speakers + 300W for sub). Unless you are trying to drive an absolute beast of a sub, a separate sub amp is kind of an overkill.

Placement-wise, whatever works best for you :)
I mean, on non-nav Pilot, audio unit goes into that top slot. I definitely had no issues mounting an aftermarket head in there on my '2007 I doubt nav model mount points are that different mechanically. But if you like it there, your car, your call.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quite a few 5+ channel amps out there (I put in a Rockford Fosgate R600X5: 75W x4 for speakers + 300W for sub). Unless you are trying to drive an absolute beast of a sub, a separate sub amp is kind of an overkill.

I mean, on non-nav Pilot, audio unit goes into that top slot. I definitely had no issues mounting an aftermarket head in there on my '2007 I doubt nav model mount points are that different mechanically. But if you like it there, your car, your call.
[/

That amp is discontinued, sadly. I don’t think I realized you could run an amp on a 5 channel, it never even crossed my mind lol but it would’ve certainly been nice! My main worry for mounting it under the pass front seat was space, so I bought an alpine amp that was relatively small, with close dimensions to the nav driver so that I didn’t run into any issues with the speaker wires, and power wires. I almost regret not doing the research for a 5 channel tho! Would’ve saved me a bit of work lol

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes, the model I got has been since replaced with R2-750X5.

The Alpine amp you have looks like the S-A32F, which is 9" long. Its 'bigger brother' is S-A55V, which is same width and height, but about 4 inches longer, and adds a 300W RMS (2 Ohm) sub channel That bracket definitely looks like it could accommodate the extra length of S-A55V

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the model I got has been since replaced with R2-750X5.

The Alpine amp you have looks like the S-A32F, which is 9" long. Its 'bigger brother' is S-A55V, which is same width and height, but about 4 inches longer, and adds a 300W RMS (2 Ohm) sub channel That bracket definitely looks like it could accommodate the extra length of S-A55V
The amp is an Alpine MRV-F300. It is just barely longer that the nav driver and figured it was my best shot for good fitment! And my sub is a 4 ohm. I bought it before I knew a whole lot about impendance and power, so once I bridged the outputs I only get 150w. Which I would have to do with that one as well. I wish I would’ve done the research to make a 5 channel work tho! Maybe if I get bored and have enough time and money to replace both amps I’ll upgrade to that one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts