Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is crazy. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L. About a year ago my radiator failed and antifreeze mixed with my transmission fluid. I have had the fluid drained and flushed several times. I had a transmission cooler added bypassing the new radiator as well. The Transmission is overheating. The car will stop pulling. Once it cools down, the transmission will work again. Has anyone out here experienced this issue? This is crazy. The car has 211K miles on it. You would think the transmission is dead but it still runs. Any recommendations for Transmission fluid that may help?

·
Registered
604 Posts
211k miles and 12-months-post-strawberry-milkshake? You were running on borrowed time. It's time for a remanufactured transmission.

If you want to throw a hail mary pass... do a drain/fill with Valvoline MaxLife from Walmart 3 times (about $60) which will change out 80% of the fluid, and see what happens. My gut tells me nothing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
211k miles and 12-months-post-strawberry-milkshake? You were running on borrowed time. It's time for a remanufactured transmission.

If you want to throw a hail mary pass... do a drain/fill with Valvoline MaxLife from Walmart 3 times (about $60) which will change out 80% of the fluid, and see what happens. My gut tells me nothing.
I will try the Valvoline MaxLife and see if it will give some time.. 3 kids and being a 15 year old car makes me wonder about the cost to replace the transmission.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Is the tranny cooler OEM or aftermarket? I'd make SURE this or any lines aren't clogged, obstructed, bent, etc.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah, double check your auxillary cooler. The fact that the tranny works well when cool is a possibly good sign. Next time that you drive it, carefully check the aux. cooler temp with your hand. If it's not getting all that hot, it's not doing it's job.

Have you replaced the transmission external filter? The 2005 has one, and it is part of the cooler return circuit. If it's clogged, that could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Having recent experience with this, I suggest cutting to the chase vs. hoping for miracles. Not getting any power through the transmission in any gear is pretty serious.

• Look for clogs in the lines or the filter media, as noted above. If yes, awesome and easy to fix.
  • Go to a transmission shop that knows Honda. Have them look for metal debris. If yes, rebuild.

Something I learned recently is that Honda 5-speeds die because the clutches are failing. As they fail, they slip, generating excessive heat. The heat reduces the viscosity of the ATF, making them slip more, and so on.

By the way, its $4-5k to replace a first-gen transmission with a reputable rebuilt unit.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Having recent experience with this, I suggest cutting to the chase vs. hoping for miracles. Not getting any power through the transmission in any gear is pretty serious.

• Look for clogs in the lines or the filter media, as noted above. If yes, awesome and easy to fix.
  • Go to a transmission shop that knows Honda. Have them look for metal debris. If yes, rebuild.
Something I learned recently is that Honda 5-speeds die because the clutches are failing. As they fail, they slip, generating excessive heat. The heat reduces the viscosity of the ATF, making them slip more, and so on.

By the way, its $4-5k to replace a first-gen transmission with a reputable rebuilt unit.
Tacoma, you are probably correct: a 2005 with many miles is probably due for a new transmission, or a trip to the crusher. The transmission replacement cost is probably greater than the value of the vehicle. Is it worth doing the job? Let the owner decide. If he's in the rust belt, forget it. The body is going to be failing in a few years anyway. If the car is a Arizona creampuff with perfect interior and body, maybe it's worth a new transmission.

But maybe it's not dead yet. Honda's are pretty amazing vehicles. The fact that we are talking about how to fix a 16 year old car tells you that.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I had a transmission cooler added bypassing the new radiator as well. The Transmission is overheating. The car will stop pulling. Once it cools down, the transmission will work again.
Any chance the external transmission cooler is NOT keeping the transmission fluid temps at normal operating temp levels? Probably best to run the transmission fluid through the radiator plus the external cooler. Glad to hear the old transmission is still up and running

1 - 9 of 9 Posts