Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Using Castrol Transmax Import. I tried the Valvoline Max Life and it would overheat more frequently using it. I didn't do the bypass myself my mechanic did. How do reroute it to go through the radiator and the cooler? I've changed the fluid 4 times

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Using Castrol Transmax Import. I tried the Valvoline Max Life and it would overheat more frequently using it. I didn't do the bypass myself my mechanic did. How do reroute it to go through the radiator and the cooler? I've changed the fluid 4 times
Not to get in an argument over fluid, DW-1 and Castrol ATF are not full synthetic and are more likely to burn (turn black), but obviously the kind of fluid is not the issue here and Castrol is certainly better than DW-1. There is a greater issue, and hopefully looping the radiator back in will solve the problem.
In post #15 by @plplplpl the diagram for the in and out ports are shown. You would simply need to loop your fluid to the radiator and out. Remove one hose from your external cooler and route it to the "in" port of your radiator. Then from your "out" port of the radiator to the transmission. This may be easier said than done.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Depending on the skill set of the OP the Aux trans cooler could be placed in series with the radiator since they should work together to reduce temps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not to get in an argument over fluid, DW-1 and Castrol ATF are not full synthetic and are more likely to burn (turn black), but obviously the kind of fluid is not the issue here and Castrol is certainly better than DW-1. There is a greater issue, and hopefully looping the radiator back in will solve the problem.
In post #15 by @plplplpl the diagram for the in and out ports are shown. You would simply need to loop your fluid to the radiator and out. Remove one hose from your external cooler and route it to the "in" port of your radiator. Then from your "out" port of the radiator to the transmission. This may be easier said than done.
Should I keep the flow order to say transmission to radiator cooler to external transmission cooler then to transmission? Would this help with cooling?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Should I keep the flow order to say transmission to radiator cooler to external transmission cooler then to transmission? Would this help with cooling?
The only example I personally have is on a Nissan NV I own that has an external cooler and the fluid goes through the radiator too. The out port from the transmission (hot fluid) goes through the external cooler first, then to the radiator.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,480 Posts
In a colder climate would having the order tranny out -> ext cooler -> radiator -> tranny in be beneficial since the radiator might actually be warming up the tranny fluid in this case?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
In a colder climate would having the order tranny out -> ext cooler -> radiator -> tranny in be beneficial since the radiator might actually be warming up the tranny fluid in this case?
And since I'm in a hot climate most of the time, It might be better the other way. ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is great.

A practical reference point: when replacing my transmission recently, the (re)manufacturer required a separate, isolated transmission cooler for any warranty. Likely this is to prevent the possibility of coolant / ATF blending, but still - these guys sell a lot of re-built Honda 5-speeds.

From a thermal perspective, I can see that keeping the integrated radiator cooler in really cold climates would be a benefit. In that case, the radiator is working like a pre-heater for the ATF until everything reaches equilibrium. But I don't see the logic in running warm ATF into the external cooler - if the external has significant cooling capacity, really cold weather is going to suck most that heat back into the air. The ATF will warm up a little faster, maybe, but is that useful?

I would guess (absent any real data or real knowledge) that unless you live in a place where you routinely use a plug-in engine block heater, it won't make much difference. I would place my bet on using the external cooler only, because its simpler and eliminates the risk of mixing coolant and ATF.

To really do it right, I would want a thermostat in the transmission coolant line, and still keep the two separate. I doubt that this is either practical or worth the risk of other problems.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts