Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone direct me to a fix for my transmission overheating and stopping? The radiator was replaced on the car and transmission fluid drained and refilled 3 times. Car was doing fine and I tried to drive it out of town and it overheated again. The car is drivable after it cools down. The fluid looks black like oil each time. Could the radiator be the culprit again. Any suggestions for a better radiator? Suggestions for a transmission cooler? This is the strangest problem to me. I'm surprised (and thankful) the car still drives after all of these issues. Anyone out there experience this issue?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Can anyone direct me to a fix for my transmission overheating and stopping? The radiator was replaced on the car and transmission fluid drained and refilled 3 times. Car was doing fine and I tried to drive it out of town and it overheated again. The car is drivable after it cools down. The fluid looks black like oil each time. Could the radiator be the culprit again. Any suggestions for a better radiator? Suggestions for a transmission cooler? This is the strangest problem to me. I'm surprised (and thankful) the car still drives after all of these issues. Anyone out there experience this issue?
What is your milage?
Why was the radiator replaced?
What type or brand of ATF was put in it? Was it the right fluid?
When the radiator was replaced, were the ATF lines connected to it properly?

·
Registered
358 Posts
If the fluid has been replaced and it's black, it is probably safe to say your transmission is toast. It burnt up.
Transmissions don't often slip, then go back to working again. You could try flushing it again, but I fail to see why the radiator would cause the transmission fluid to overheat. Mix all of that together with the fact that it's a 2005 which was known for transmission issues, any fix would likely be temporary.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Getting “black” fluid after replacing trans fluid and radiator makes me consider blockage and use of generic multi-brand vehicle trans fluids

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Getting “black” fluid after replacing trans fluid and radiator makes me consider blockage and use of generic multi-brand vehicle trans fluids
What would you consider as generic? I've still got my bottle of black DW-1 with 19k miles on it.
It definitely could be blockage or the mechanic who replaced the radiator bypassed it, looping the in and out lines together.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The OP’s black trans fluid is likely burnt from internal heat/friction due to blockage or bypass or using an incompatible trans fluid coupled with some movement of sludge blocking passages. One good piece of the puzzle is the trans still works after cooling down so there a chance to salvage this transmission. I’d try the triple Honda flush with some Maxlife

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The OP’s black trans fluid is likely burnt from internal heat/friction due to blockage or bypass or using an incompatible trans fluid coupled with some movement of sludge blocking passages. One good piece of the puzzle is the trans still works after cooling down so there a chance to salvage this transmission. I’d try the triple Honda flush with some Maxlife
Since you said blockage, if I remember correctly, the transmission filter is accessible on this year model?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Not sure on the ‘05 but certainly worth looking at. Curious what the “mechanic” really did or not do correctly. Wonder if the motor is overheating too.

·
Registered
600 Posts
A remanufactured transmission plus installation will cost you at least $3000 to $4000, if not more. Probably more than your Pilot is worth. If the fluid is still black after 3 drain and fills, then I would question if your mechanic actually did the fluid changes.

Do you know how to do an oil change? Have a friend or relative who can help? Go to Wal Mart and buy 3 gallons of Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Drain your transmission, about 3 1/2 quarts will come out. Refill it. Drive it 5 miles. Do it again. And again. The fluid should be clean cherry red now. If the transmission is still puking, you just wasted $75 dollars on fluid. If the transmission is working, you just saved $4000.

If fresh ATF brings the transmission back to life, then you should definitely change the external transmission filter, and do another drain and fill.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,335 Posts
Not sure on the ‘05 but certainly worth looking at. Curious what the “mechanic” really did or not do correctly. Wonder if the motor is overheating too.
Here’s the parts diagram for the 2005 Pilot tranny filter and associated parts. Note that 2005 is the only year the filter comes in this configuration/location. It is an external module on 2003 and 2004.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you need more info, search for "Did dumb thing, need help with transmission cooling lines". This post has pictures on hooking the tranni radiator line up correctly.

Hope this helps.
Gill

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you do a 3x drain/fill, and the transmission continues to burn the fluid black, it's probably a valve body and torque converter problem causing the overheat. The internal valve body lockup circuit can stick, causing the TQ lockup clutch to drag, and overheat, burning the fluid.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts