Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Key wouldn't turn ignition. I turned the steering wheel real far to right and it locked the steering wheel. I called locksmith and they gave me a new key. Then they came and took out ignition cylinder and fixed the pins. They put it back in. Now the car's key turns all the way. It will not unlock steering wheel when I pull the steering wheel hard to the right and turn key. At a total loss. Fear steering wheel lock won't undo. On flat surface not incline. Can't find any ideas online to disengage the steering wheel lock.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I'd check for a blown fuse. May not be getting power to the ignition.

·
Registered
43 Posts
my 06 has had steering wheel lock and key couldn't turn on at all. Had to pull SUPER hard on wheel towards centering the wheels while putting pressure on key, then key suddenly "popped" and would turn and the vehicle started. Happens about once per year.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Can you put it it gear, and move from R to D and see if maybe that would take pressure off the steering lock

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Do the Pilots not have a plug to pull out on the top of the steering column. In case it will not leave park position.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
It is a little plastic plug. I saw this in my 2008 owner manual.
The attached shift lock release procedure from p. 206 of the Owner's Manual should at least let you release your shift lock so you can put it in neutral.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had Pilot for 15 years and have never seen that little shift lock release on top of steering column. Thank you guys I can shift the car now. STILL won't unlock the steering wheel though. At least we can move the car out of the way now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PHM yep I've viewed many youtube videos about this. Mine differs because my key and lock cylinder has been replaced by locksmith and that normally disengages steering wheel. My problem matches until the ending when it should work.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
PHM yep I've viewed many youtube videos about this. Mine differs because my key and lock cylinder has been replaced by locksmith and that normally disengages steering wheel. My problem matches until the ending when it should work.
That is too bad. Guess it is mechanic time.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Sorry for running you through the fuses.
Could the locksmith have something wrong?

Reactions: plplplpl and PHM
1 - 20 of 28 Posts