Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I think an external ATF cooler is recommended for people who tow. In fact, I believe it's part of the towing package.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I honestly don't see the need for an external ATF cooler since its going through the radiator, unless your just really planing on putting a load on it for a long period of time.
Definitely considering an external ATF cooler add-on during my radiator replacement (Denso). The external ATF cooler should help in maintaining trans life on the back roads or trails when I push the VTM-4 system more than normal.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EXL
86 Posts
I think it's a great plan. My 2012 Crosstour with 230k is due a timing belt change at 270k. If it makes it that far (No issues) I will change the radiator to see how far she will go. It's been changed once because we hit a Hog, LOL.
Did you get some BBQ & Bacon out of the deal?? Would offset some of the cost 😉

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Wouldn't be too tasty if it was the other kind of HOG.....H-D
Actually there wouldn't be much belly fat there cause they are always moving but they do taste good if you can get one. I Always try to catch one while deer hunting.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did you get some BBQ & Bacon out of the deal?? Would offset some of the cost 😉
None. I got -$500 on the bank statement for the deductible. 🐖😣 That car has hit another hog since then. Still has the damage to the bumper. I refused to repair twice. 😬

·
Registered
40 Posts
I replaced the radiator in our 05 around the 100k mark, due to leakage. I added trans and power steering coolers while I was doing the work.

It's now rolling at 287k miles. I think replacing the radiator as a preventative measure is overkill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks to everyone for great advice and info on this. As I'm hoping to keep the vehicle for another 100,000 miles, it looks relatively cheap to go ahead and replace the radiator with all the other maintenance work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks to everyone for great advice and info on this. As I'm hoping to keep the vehicle for another 100,000 miles, it looks relatively cheap to go ahead and replace the radiator with all the other maintenance work.
good luck but adding a cooler is far less cheaper and economical than a whole radiator... but its your vehicle so do what you can afford.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It already has the cooler as we do occasionally tow around 2500 pounds. The radiator was replaced at 105K with a Honda radiator and I don't know if the new one has the issue fixed to avoid milkshakes. I've also thinking 100K is decent life for a radiator and to just replace it before waiting on a failure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It already has the cooler as we do occasionally tow around 2500 pounds. The radiator was replaced at 105K with a Honda radiator and I don't know if the new one has the issue fixed to avoid milkshakes. I've also thinking 100K is decent life for a radiator and to just replace it before waiting on a failure.
radiators should last a the life of the vehicle, that why the removed brass from them so they can go a long time, and when you buy a good one it carries lifetime warranty, so in theory you shouldn't be buying a new just swapping it out... and if you had a separate cooler you should need to worry about the "MILKSHAKE"...

·
Registered
116 Posts
radiators should last a the life of the vehicle
Trying to follow your opinion on radiator replacement but question whether a radiator could last the life of the vehicle. IMO too many variables out there that affect these plastic/alum radiators.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Trying to follow your opinion on radiator replacement but question whether a radiator could last the life of the vehicle. IMO too many variables out there that affect these plastic/alum radiators.
well not a lifetime but you should be able to go years as radiators are not based by milage, and if your using the proper coolant, so if its the green or dex the rad won't last too long

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EXL
86 Posts
good luck but adding a cooler is far less cheaper and economical than a whole radiator... but its your vehicle so do what you can afford.
When adding a cooler-it doesn’t completely bypass the radiator does it? Isn’t it put in series? If put in series- wouldn’t you still run the risk of Pink Milkshake??
Thanks - Inquiring minds want to know 😉

·
Registered
116 Posts
When adding a cooler-it doesn’t completely bypass the radiator does it? Isn’t it put in series? If put in series- wouldn’t you still run the risk of Pink Milkshake??
For an in-series set up that would be correct! The milk shake will start somewhere and go around and around until it stops.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For an in-series set up that would be correct! The milk shake will start somewhere and go around and around until it stops.
Thats why you would add a cooler to separate them.... to avoid the milkshake....

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you bypass (don’t use the radiator to warm/cool the tranny fluid), and only connect the tranny fluid to the dedicated external tranny cooler then you will avoid the pink milkshake. In this case the tranny fluid and radiator coolant are cooled in separate locations.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts