Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
my 2005 pilot starts to drip oil between the engine and the transmission. I just bought some parts to the dealer the seal and the o ring. What parts do I need to buy regarding the seal? I found a shop that charge me 450 bucks to change. If Honda dealer $ 1800 they charge me馃槀

Registered
That's actually not a bad price for the labor involved, but how about trying a $10 bottle of AT-205 first.

Registered
Banned from wife鈥檚 2005 Pilot LX
When is the last time the PCV valve was changed? That might be worth a try as well if the one that鈥檚 in there is fairly old.

Reactions: STMech

Registered
A lot of times it is the upper oring on the rear cover that starts to leak. Make sure that they change the seal and the oring, which it sounds like you have both. $450 sounds like a good price since you have to separate the engine and transmission to get to it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thks you all appreciate it 馃憤 I don鈥檛 get what road2cycle is talking about. Pcv valve? Does it have another pcv on the rear engine? 馃 anywayz I adjusted the valve clearance and change the cover gasket of this car. Oh by the way I鈥檓 the first owner of this pilot and it鈥檚 194180 miles on it!!! I do all the maintenance of it馃榿 now the exhaust flex pipe is leaking too馃槀

Registered
Thks you all appreciate it 馃憤 I don鈥檛 get what road2cycle is talking about. Pcv valve? Does it have another pcv on the rear engine? 馃 anywayz I adjusted the valve clearance and change the cover gasket of this car. Oh by the way I鈥檓 the first owner of this pilot and it鈥檚 194180 miles on it!!! I do all the maintenance of it馃榿 now the exhaust flex pipe is leaking too馃槀
A faulty PCV can cause crank case pressure to build, forcing oil out of the seals. Replacing the one PCV may help solve your problem.

Registered

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 186,000 miles
My rear main seal started leaking a few months ago. After finding the leak, I checked my oil level, finding that Einstein鈥檚 that recently changed my oil overfilled it by about half a quart. So I changed the oil that day to valvoline full synthetic and made sure it wasn鈥檛 overfilled. Few days go by, no oil leak. So I Wiped everything down again, drove a few days and checked it again. Still not leaking. So I鈥檓 guessing mine was leaking because the oil was overfilled, and it was creating too much crankcase pressure and bleeding out of the rear main seal. Now it hasn鈥檛 leaked one bit! So make sure your oil level isn鈥檛 too full, and also check your PCV because that is another common cause like Nail Grease said.

Registered
My rear main seal started leaking a few months ago. After finding the leak, I checked my oil level, finding that Einstein鈥檚 that recently changed my oil overfilled it by about half a quart. So I changed the oil that day to valvoline full synthetic and made sure it wasn鈥檛 overfilled. Few days go by, no oil leak. So I Wiped everything down again, drove a few days and checked it again. Still not leaking. So I鈥檓 guessing mine was leaking because the oil was overfilled, and it was creating too much crankcase pressure and bleeding out of the rear main seal. Now it hasn鈥檛 leaked one bit! So make sure your oil level isn鈥檛 too full, and also check your PCV because that is another common cause like Nail Grease said.
Good point. Seen this happen. It's another reason why I started doing the maintainace on all our vehicles.

Registered
I do all the maintenance of it馃榿 now the exhaust flex pipe is leaking too馃槀
The OEM front pipe is no longer available from Honda. Aftermarket replacement front pipes are available from Walker. The flex section could be repaired but the incompetence I鈥檝e experienced from 鈥渕uffler鈥 shops (meineke) makes me recommend replacement.

Attachments

Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
The OEM front pipe is no longer available from Honda. Aftermarket replacement front pipes are available from Walker. The flex section could be repaired but the incompetence I鈥檝e experienced from 鈥渕uffler鈥 shops (meineke) makes me recommend replacement.
Is that the downpipe on 03-05's? When I looked at the exhaust on my 08 while changing fluids and was like 馃く. Looks like they crushed, and then welded the tubes together to make the collector in a manner that appears to be a restriction. Yours looks less restricted, but definitely could be improved upon as well.

In the end I'm pretty sure Honda spent plenty of money and research in designing the exhaust system to be more tailored to low-end torque, vs high end HP, and fuel economy since those are the RPM's we spend the most time in, not to mention the benefits of a lower manufacturing cost.

Registered
Is that the downpipe on 03-05's? When I looked at the exhaust on my 08 while changing fluids and was like 馃く. Looks like they crushed, and then welded the tubes together to make the collector in a manner that appears to be a restriction. Yours looks less restricted, but definitely could be improved upon as well.

In the end I'm pretty sure Honda spent plenty of money and research in designing the exhaust system to be more tailored to low-end torque, vs high end HP, and fuel economy since those are the RPM's we spend the most time in, not to mention the benefits of a lower manufacturing cost.
My Pilot is 鈥04 and the aftermarket front pipe bolted up without a hitch. IMO OEM quality is probably better but it wasn鈥檛 available and maybe next time I鈥檒l go with a performance 3.5/3.7 version for fun or maybe I鈥檒l use my rookie welding skills and fix the original flex.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts