Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
178k, first time timing belt change on this vehicle ever. I have found some good YouTube videos but now I need some advise on the best kit to purchase. I will be ordering from RockAuto this weekend. I don't recognize many of the manufactures on that site. Who can recommend a quality kit?
Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
12 Posts
I would go with the Aisin Timing Belt, Water Pump, and component kit from rock auto. I'm pretty sure Aisin us the OEM water pump. If you have the extra money I would also get a different belt because that kit looks like it comes with an off brand belt. Maybe get the gates belt

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just get the Aisin kit for your car from RockAuto. Everything in that kit is actually the same as OEM or OEM quality. No junk in that Aisin box. The Gates kit has had issues with the water pump. The ebay parts that are "OEM" have destroyed motors. Autozone tensioners have destroyed motors. The fake stuff on Amazon and eBay is a very real concern. These days there are even Aisin fakes. Stick with a good vendor to order it all from.

Really only two bulletproof options: The Aisin kit from a reputable source or the OEM parts from a Honda dealer. The Honda OEM one will be no better than the Aisin kit and cost 3 - 4 times as much.

Also at a 178k miles and no change... you're in very dangerous territory. I personally wouldn't drive it until replaced.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts

Aisin kit from Rockauto, pronto.

More Information for AISIN TKH002

Don't forget your danger pay 5% discount:

5% Discount Code: 61F8C3AFDC21E1
Expires: May 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
And 16 years old?
178k, first time timing belt change on this vehicle ever. I have found some good YouTube videos but now I need some advise on the best kit to purchase. I will be ordering from RockAuto this weekend. I don't recognize many of the manufactures on that site. Who can recommend a quality kit?
Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
285 Posts
:rolleyes:
I feel bad for the people that post here for the first time and all they get is memes for responses.

definitely stick with rockauto and coupon code otherwise amazon if you're in a hurry, make sure its sold by and shipped by amazon.com

·
Registered
420 Posts
Good luck with the project, I have replaced mine twice. Note: the crank pulley bolt is the biggest change to get loose. I estimate I applied 800-1000 ft-lbs to break mine loose.

some other tips

1. remove the spark plugs to make engine rotation easier
2. make sure the alignment is dead on, rotate the engine after the belt is installed and recheck alignment.
3. replace the right engine mount while your there
4. check the accessory belt tensioner pulley
5. replace the crankshaft seal
6. if you have an oil leak in the area, rule out an oil pump leak...

I was off one tooth on the back cam on my first replacement. This caused cold temperature start issues, since I replaced the belt in the summer and the symptom didn't show up until the winter, it took a long time for me to figure it out.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
285 Posts
I probably watched south main auto's youtube video on this procedure twice before actually doing it. Do not follow anything from 1A-auto's video, its terrible. Definitely follow the above advice from fivermillions. I purchased a corded electric 1/2" impact from lowes and used the thickwalled socket to zip off the crank pulley bolt in about 5 seconds. after that I spent more time cleaning up the slop from the engine bay then I did actually replacing the components.
the rear cam will probably jump ahead on you when setting the new belt, just slowly turn it back to its correct position and slowly get the belt on there. patience is key for this final part of the operation before pulling the grenade pin on the tensioner.

I wish I had purchased that side engine mount because it will soon be failing due to old age rubber

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Just a word of caution too...
Be careful not to accidentally remove 10mm oil pump bolts when removing timing cover bolts. Loosening oil pump bolts may cause an oil leak around these bolts.

(This photo is also of a Gates water pump with only 50k miles on it)
Also, be very careful to not leave any slack in your timing belt on the right side. Start by slipping the belt around the back cam pulley, loop under the water pump then tightly over the front cam pulley. Holding the belt in place on the front cam pulley, slip over the Idler pulley stretching it down and around the crankshaft gear. All slack should be on the tensioner side. It's nice to have a friend help hold things in place, but it can be done alone.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car was only 2 years old when my wife got the car (wasnt my wife then) and I know it has never been done. I am having to wait until the chances of snow here in Seattle are closer to zero before I start because I am aware that this may stretch into a multiple day project if things dont go as planned and I'm not driving my other car in the snow (turbo 91 Miata). Getting Aisin kit ordered tonight along with serpentine belt, crank seal, and right side motor mount. Will order up that crank socket too. Thanks for the feedback. No worries on memes. MiataTurbo forum guys can be complete dicks. hahaha.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
The car was only 2 years old when my wife got the car (wasnt my wife then) and I know it has never been done. I am having to wait until the chances of snow here in Seattle are closer to zero before I start because I am aware that this may stretch into a multiple day project if things dont go as planned and I'm not driving my other car in the snow (turbo 91 Miata). Getting Aisin kit ordered tonight along with serpentine belt, crank seal, and right side motor mount. Will order up that crank socket too.
Has the radiator ever been replaced on that 2005 Pilot?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The car was only 2 years old when my wife got the car (wasnt my wife then) and I know it has never been done. I am having to wait until the chances of snow here in Seattle are closer to zero before I start because I am aware that this may stretch into a multiple day project if things dont go as planned and I'm not driving my other car in the snow (turbo 91 Miata). Getting Aisin kit ordered tonight along with serpentine belt, crank seal, and right side motor mount. Will order up that crank socket too. Thanks for the feedback. No worries on memes. MiataTurbo forum guys can be complete dicks. hahaha.

Along with the cupcake socket ... it helps to have a powerful enough impact wrench ...>=700 ft-lbs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts