Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radiator would overheat randomly, fan ok, acted like the thermostat was sticking and then opening. Mechanic replaced radiaor. Charged me $299.00 for the radiator !!! $237.00 for labor this was on Saturday. Looked up prices today and saw an average of a $100.00. Ripped off ?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
An externally plugged up radiator can cause your engine to over heat. It can be cleaned with a pressure washer. Was it leaking? Have you ever had your Antifreeze replace? Was the thermostat replaced? Did he flush out the old Antifreeze and fill with new?
Yes that price sounds high for just a radiator replacement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The radiator can be purchased from Rock Auto for $100, but the labor sounds right. Did the $299 include fluids and thermostat? Most mechanics upcharge on parts... eventhough you can buy the same part from the same place for cheaper, that's just how it is. I had my transmission swapped on a different car and the mechanic told me that I can buy the part cheaper because if he purchased it he would have to charge me extra.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,945 Posts
List price for an OEM radiator, thermostat, and coolant is roughly $200. If you factor in 50% mechanic parts upcharge you’re at $300. I have no idea if your mechanic used OEM parts; if he didn’t he probably made a bit extra on the parts.

The labor cost sounds reasonable if shop rate is $100+ in your area.

As a comparison my local Honda dealer quoted $450 for parts and another $600 for labor for this job which included new radiator hoses. That was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Radiator would overheat randomly, fan ok, acted like the thermostat was sticking and then opening. Mechanic replaced radiaor. Charged me $299.00 for the radiator !!! $237.00 for labor this was on Saturday. Looked up prices today and saw an average of a $100.00. Ripped off ?
Go to Free Car Repair Estimate - Get Auto Repair Costs | RepairPal
Enter your make, model, year and local zip code info.
Then, for 'select your service' choose or enter "radiator replacement".
See what you get for an estimate.
For me, the estimate came back in the range of $400-600.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't think you got ripped off at all.

A parts store radiator is $165. A Denso radiator is $110 plus shipping at a online discounter. They mark up prices on parts, that is how it works.

If you figure $200 for a radiator, $50 in Honda coolant, misc shop fees and supplies.... you are right on the money.

If you want the best price, you do it yourself and you wait for the parts to arrive, have to wait to swap out damaged ones, run around getting the right coolant, etc. Or.... you pay the man.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Good price if you don't want to get your fingers dirty. Dealer charge will be much higher for the similar job. Just confirm there was a total coolant flush and the trans fluid is filled back off for any loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts