Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Welcome, and don't be shy to hit us up with any questions or comments you may have. :)

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Welcome, and don't be shy to hit us up with any questions or comments you may have. :)
Hmmm you mean something like this: I still luv my Pilot even though she had a 17 yr old airless spare tire, leaky radiator and rusty chips fall off her rear wherever I park.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Hmmm you mean something like this: I still luv my Pilot even though she had a 17 yr old airless spare tire, leaky radiator and rusty chips fall off her rear wherever I park.
Yours or mine?

I got a full size spare circa the 10-year mark, put in a thick-crust Denso radiator to replace the thin-crust OEM one, and the only chips I have to pick up are from when the kids surreptitiously eat in the car.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
Hello Piloteers,
I'm not mechanical but I read some of your posts when I have questions about my Pilot. This is just to say I LOVE MY PILOT ! And THANK YOU for all of your advice!
Glad your Pilot is still running strong. I hope to get to the 200k+ mile mark but still have about 80k miles to get there. My wife loves the Pilot and has no desire to get a newer vehicle.

Reactions: Cousin Itt

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Have you tried dieting?
Heck, no. Pandemic time* is gourmet-gourmand time.

And driving a lot less means you never have to be the designated driver when you stayin' home sweet home.

*It's also volunteer time if you can, to help and uplift those less fortunate or in need.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Welcome! It's always good to hear from longtime and high mileage owners!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you :) I've noticed the engine is beginning to sound like a diesel, not badly and not knocking, but different. Could it be a timing issue?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Thank you :) I've noticed the engine is beginning to sound like a diesel, not badly and not knocking, but different. Could it be a timing issue?
Perhaps a tensioner issue? Best is to record and post a video in which we can clearly hear the sound you're referring to.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
When was the timing belt last replaced?
It should have been done for the second time not too long ago.

Also, has the original radiator ever been replaced?
Do the oil, coolant and transmission fluid appear to look normal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When was the timing belt last replaced?
It should have been done for the second time not too long ago.

Also, has the original radiator ever been replaced?
Do the oil, coolant and transmission fluid appear to look normal?
The timing belt was changed at 100k and I know it's due for another one :/ Yes, the radiator was replaced recently but idk about the fluids. I've done oil changes regularly since day 1. And I know the transmission fluid has been changed once, maybe twice.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
And I know the transmission fluid has been changed once, maybe twice.
Time to get on the bandwagon and start doing your drain and fills with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I do them every second oil change as cheap insurance for the Achilles' hell [sic] of the Pilot, the transmission. Walmart carries Maxlife ATF for about 18 bucks a gallon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time to get on the bandwagon and start doing your drain and fills with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I do them every second oil change as cheap insurance for the Achilles' hell [sic] of the Pilot, the transmission. Walmart carries Maxlife ATF for about 18 bucks a gallon.
So my mechanic said my rear tires are cupped and he doesn't know what causes it but that it's safe. A quick Google search says it's caused by the suspension system going bad. What should I do?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
So my mechanic said my rear tires are cupped and he doesn't know what causes it but that it's safe. A quick Google search says it's caused by the suspension system going bad. What should I do?
As the miles and time pass the rear suspension may start to sag or bushings start to wear and the alignment tech may not be able to align the rear suspension to specs. Sometimes the fix is replace of suspension parts as determined by the alignment tech. For example an adjustable rear upper control arm to replace the OEM fixed UCA might provide enough adjustment to correct the toe

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
With the high miles on your Pilot, you are in the zone where most of the suspension parts are worn. Worn suspension is not necessarily dangerous, but you wind up having to live with clunking noises and tires that wear out too soon. If you want to replace all the worn suspension parts on your 2005, you will spend a lot of money. If the car is handling ok, and not pulling to one side of the road, or making horrible clunks on every bump, then you may decide to spend a bit of money on new tires more often, and leave the suspension alone. If the suspension is totally worn, loose, and noisy, then you should consider repairs, or a newer car.

Concerning the engine "sounding like a diesel", have the valves ever been adjusted? You are up there in miles, and if the valves have never been adjusted, you are due. At the same time, have the mechanic clean out the EGR passages in the intake manifold, and replace the PCV valve. Have them do a drain and fill on the transmission fluid, and also have the rear differential VTM4 fluid changed.

My daughter is a nurse, just earned her RN after a couple of years as an LPN. She is working in a cardiac unit, and is still in school, working towards her BS degree in Nursing. I have great respect for the hard working, caring people in the health care professions. All the best to you.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
For example an adjustable rear upper control arm to replace the OEM fixed UCA might provide enough adjustment to correct the toe
^^^ This. Actuallly, a pair of these: More Information for MEVOTECH GS60168

...and a pair of these, as I got a couple of years ago, are also recommended.

More Information for KYB 344353

Not too expensive at all, and you can even get an extra 5% off just for being a Piloteer. :)

5% Discount Code: 6E3EAFAFB9DB15
Expires: August 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With the high miles on your Pilot, you are in the zone where most of the suspension parts are worn. Worn suspension is not necessarily dangerous, but you wind up having to live with clunking noises and tires that wear out too soon. If you want to replace all the worn suspension parts on your 2005, you will spend a lot of money. If the car is handling ok, and not pulling to one side of the road, or making horrible clunks on every bump, then you may decide to spend a bit of money on new tires more often, and leave the suspension alone. If the suspension is totally worn, loose, and noisy, then you should consider repairs, or a newer car.

Concerning the engine "sounding like a diesel", have the valves ever been adjusted? You are up there in miles, and if the valves have never been adjusted, you are due. At the same time, have the mechanic clean out the EGR passages in the intake manifold, and replace the PCV valve. Have them do a drain and fill on the transmission fluid, and also have the rear differential VTM4 fluid changed.

My daughter is a nurse, just earned her RN after a couple of years as an LPN. She is working in a cardiac unit, and is still in school, working towards her BS degree in Nursing. I have great respect for the hard working, caring people in the health care professions. All the best to you.
Thank you so much for your advice! The garage/shop I've been taking my vehicle to lately didn't find anything wrong with the sound of my engine, and didn't advise any repairs (but I did tell them I didn't want to do a timing belt change). I had my tires balanced and rotated at Costco and the tech told me the rear tires cupping probably means I need a 4-wheel alignment. I went to Les Schwab and the tech said the alignment was in spec. He recommended replacing struts and shocks: $949. Or at the minimum, replacing rear shocks: $228.
The rear differential VTM4 fluid has never been changed to my knowledge... but it could just be that I don't remember (but if it was, it was a very long time ago). The transmission fluid was changed about a year ago. I'm trying to keep my car going for as long as possible without paying thousands for repairs but I will miss my Pilot terribly if I have to buy a new vehicle... and I'm not looking forward to car payments. I know... boo hoo... LOL
Regarding nursing, it's a great field with so much variety and many specialties. Congratulations to your daughter! It's also difficult and challenging; She must be a strong woman :)

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
The timing belt was changed at 100k and I know it's due for another one
The garage/shop I've been taking my vehicle to lately didn't find anything wrong with the sound of my engine, and didn't advise any repairs (but I did tell them I didn't want to do a timing belt change).
You know that the timing belt is due for replacement but you told the shop that you don't want to have it done.
What is your logic behind that decision?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts