Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any help would be appreciated. When driving, and sometimes when parked and idling I get a VSA warning light and warning triangle light. This is followed by a VTM-4 warning light within a few seconds. The vehicle loses power. I stop , shut down and restart, and all is good. This happened 6 times in one day, but then nothing for a week or more. It happened once today after 6-10 days of nothing.
I have a code reader and the only fault it reports is the catalytic converter. P0420 and P0430.
I'm stumped !!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Just out of curiosity, when was the last time the VTM-4 fluid was changed?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If you used a standard code reader it most likely doesn’t spit out the Honda specific codes. Your three choices to get the codes are buy a reader which supporys Honda codes, use the OBD2 port jumper method (does not report subcode), or take to a shop which has a Honda code reader.

·
Registered
226 Posts
sounds like a failed yaw sensor that can only be diagnosed at a dealer. you will die when you see the estimate to replace it. just do what i do and turn off the traction control every time you start it for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ABS, VSA, VTM dash lights

Hello Scotlandborn, I have the same problems right now and this is my plans.......
Sensors are all designed to work with safety in mind. I don't agree with the way the abs, vsa and vtm systems were designed but I understand the logic behind it.
With that said: My 06 pilot is showing all those lights mentioned above on the dash. So far the only code reader that was able to read codes for this system is one my trusted shop has.
I tried the cheap Bluetooth version as well as the craftsmen code reader, they're not reading the abs system.
Yes dealers have them of course but if you find a shop that has right code reader, you're in luck and can save some $.
At the trusted shop, mine showed the right front and left rear sensors. The mechanic cleared all codes using his reader, then rescanned while driving. The code came back as left rear abs, with bearing limit out of tolerance range.
This is going to cost about $500, it's a slight expense and gamble yes but I want to have all safety features this awesome vehicle was designed with to function if I ever need it to.
I took the safety features for granted like vsa-vehicle stability assist and abs-automatic braking system, now they are not working I feel the difference; getting this fixed as soon as parts come in.
Hope I was able to shed some light on this issue for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK. No I have not changed the VTM-4 fluid.
I have only had the vehicle for about a month, but I was thinking a change of fluid would be a good idea.
I have a Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner. It is meant to be Honda specific, but who knows.
Difficult finding a good mechanic here in Dominican Republic. Especially one with correct tools, but I will persevere. Thanks for the advice.
Also difficult to get live reading as this only occurs intermittently. It can run good for a week or two, then fail a couple of times in one day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recalls

Sorry for delay but i was out of country.
Yes, thank you. there are 3 outstanding recalls, one of which is for VSA.
I have spoken to the Honda dealer in Santiago who has agreed to take care of them when I have time to get to them.
Lets see if it resolves the problem !
If not I also picked up a used yaw sensor on ebay cheap enough if it doesn't work ! :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts