Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so confused. I've decided to start doing the low hanging fruit maintenance on my Pilot (I.e. fluid changes, brake pads, etc.). I purchased the vehicle in March 2019 and I have all of the maintenance records from since the car was new as the previous owner had all of the maintenance done at the dealership (Crown Honda of Southpoint, Durham, NC) since he purchased it. The car currently has 235,500 miles. Last March I had the same dealer do some maintenance and I was charged for a Rear Differential fluid change at $97.58 and a Front Differential Fluid Change at $65.00. The ATF had been changed just 10k miles prior to this service. Fast forward a bit and I had an oil change done at a different dealership (Hendrick Honda, Charlotte, NC). When they finished with the oil change, of course, they provided me with a list of suggested items that needed attention to include "Minor Transmission Service at $96.34, Differential Service at $98.78, Transfer Case Service at $43.85.

I looked at the maintenance records from Crown Honda and the ATF Fluid was changed every 30k miles and the rear differential fluid was changed every 15k miles since 2005. There is no mention of a "front differential service" or "transfer case service" in any of the records. I perused this site and notice a thread that made mention of 03-05 pilots not needing a separate front differential or transfer case fluid change and that the ATF fluid change also took care of these components. So, I went back to Crown Honda of Southpoint to asked why I was charged for a front differential fluid change. I was told that it was needed. The service manager stated that he was 100% positive that my Pilot had a serviceable front differential and that I was wrong.

So, am I wrong? Do I only need to be concerned with changing the ATF at 30k miles and rear differential fluid at 15k or is there a front differential drain/fill plug? Is there some documentation that spells this out somewhere?

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, I went back to Crown Honda of Southpoint to asked why I was charged for a front differential fluid change. I was told that it was needed. The service manager stated that he was 100% positive that my Pilot had a serviceable front differential and that I was wrong.

So, am I wrong? Do I only need to be concerned with changing the ATF at 30k miles and rear differential fluid at 15k or is there a front differential drain/fill plug? Is there some documentation that spells this out somewhere?
Go back and ask him to put it up on the lift and show you the drain/fill plugs!
They are not there. Check the owners manual. (you can go to Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners and find manuals, maint. schedules, etc. if needed) No mention of transfer case fluid change. I'll bet the service manual doesn't either.

Now on my '06 it is different. There is a transfer case with d/f plugs and it takes 90 or 80W-90 hypoid gear oil, 30K service recommended.
Sounds like the service manager is confused!

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
They are either incompetent criminals or criminally incompetent.

Front transfer case only started with 2006 model year.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to follow up. I wrote an email to the General Manager and Service Director. I was contacted a few days later by someone who apologized stated that I was correct and they sent me a check.
Consequently, I did my first ATF, Oil/filter, and rear diff change the other day. Not bad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts