Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 2005 EXL with AWD and 108k miles. It was running fine until my daughter drove it out to the mountains to go skiing (approx 100 miles) then she called me and stated the engine was making noises. We live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
She drove back and I asked a mechanic friend to review. I had the timing belt/ pulleys/ water pump replaced at 90k but the mech stated the hydraulic tensioner appeared to be making noise and was leaking a bit so we decided to replace the timing belt/ water pump and pulleys since he was in there.
Noise was still there so he dropped the oil pan to review the crank and cylinder walls. Crank is OK but he noted the #6 cylinder walls are scratched and there are metal shavings in the oil pan. It appears this piston is scratching the walls.
Engine still runs but rough and noisy upon acceleration. No blue smoke.
Due to high cost to rebuild the mech stated its less cost to replace the engine with a used engine.
Its difficult to find a lower mileage engine for this. I found one on JDM Source Canada website for years 06- 08 eng code J35A. Mech stated my eng code is A6.
I've heard that 2005 engines are different than all other years and it must be an 05 to fit and work.
Can anyone confirm this is correct?
Thanks Henry

·
Registered
604 Posts
J35A6 is 2005 Pilot only. I'd advise against a JDM gamble, too many horror stories unless you have an experienced subject matter expert mechanic who will guarantee the swap AND guarantee it to be code/CEL free for a long period of time.

Possible donors might be the 2005-2010 Odyssey with lower trims. Finding a used engine from a 2005 is the only guaranteed direct fit.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Just replaced a 2005 pilot with a 2005 Odyssey ex engine. The plenium was the major difference.
Used your plenum or the Odyssey?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts