Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some reports saying it does... and some that it doesn't. And if it does indeed have the cartridge style filter, which aftermarket replacement one is correct (there are two styles listed in parts stores catalogs, cartridge style and screw in style). but since this is my first post, I cannot post links to the parts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I see some reports saying it does... and some that it doesn't. And if it does indeed have the cartridge style filter, which aftermarket replacement one is correct (there are two styles listed in parts stores catalogs, cartridge style and screw in style). but since this is my first post, I cannot post links to the parts. Thanks in advance.
I've been wrong before on this question, I'll try again. I believe 03 and 04 have screw on type canister filter. I believe that your 05 has a replaceable element that lives in a housing on top of the transmission. Location is roughly under the battery tray. Search with a good light to verify.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been wrong before on this question, I'll try again. I believe 03 and 04 have screw on type canister filter. I believe that your 05 has a replaceable element that lives in a housing on top of the transmission. Location is roughly under the battery tray. Search with a good light to verify.
Thanks for the reply -- this jibes with the other information I have seen. There is a 2005 Pilot "how to" video up on youtube where he replaces the transmission filter under the battery (air filter box and batt/tray removed of course). I just ordered in a WIX replacement filter via O'Reilly (15 bucks -- not bad).

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
What STMech said is accurate. I haven’t replaced the tranny filter on my 2005 Pilot yet. Let me know how it goes.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same on an 06? Just purchased one with 182K and looking to change all fluids and sparkplugs and now that I know that this is an option this as well if it’s still a thing on the 06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe from '06 on, it's for all practical intents and purposes internal and not normally serviceable.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Yup, 2003-2005 were the only years on the first gen where the tranny filter is externally serviceable. 2006-2008 requires tranny to be separated from engine block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts