Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Happy to finally be back on a car forum.

Just bought this 2005 Pilot with high milage.

I wanted to get new suspension...

Anyone have experience on the suspension kits that shows up on google?

KYB Excel-G OEM Strut is one of them...

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
I would recommend them. Got their rear shocks from site sponsor Rockauto and even got 5% off with the Piloteers discount. That was 2 or three years ago, IIRC, and I'm still happy with them.

More Information for KYB 344353

5% Discount Code: 508F794D9D4F1F
Expires: August 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.
The discount expires tomorrow, but they'll probably add another one soon.

To further add to your joy, KYB offers a rebate on top of that, depending on what you get.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I installed KYB Strut-Plus complete front struts in my 2003 Pilot. When I added up the cost of everything needed to rebuild my old struts, I decided that the complete new ones made more sense. I've been very pleased with the complete struts. They appear identical to the old Honda units, and they work well, with a firm quiet ride.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My wife has been happy with the KYB rear shocks which have around 50k miles on them. I’d purchase them again. I haven’t replaced the fronts so no firsthand experience, but I will go with KYB when that time comes.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: 05pilotguy

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,329 Posts
I think you are looking at the top of a slippery slope. My 05 had suspension bushes that were shot long before 150,000 miles. I would start there. The Honda equipment was better at 150k than the KYBs that I replaced them with....

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I think you are looking at the top of a slippery slope. My 05 had suspension bushes that were shot long before 150,000 miles. I would start there. The Honda equipment was better at 150k than the KYBs that I replaced them with....
I agree, double-check all your bushings haven't dry rotted/torn, got my Pilot at 129k and looking to replace the bushings and ball joints on my control arms and also doing the inner & outer tierods with Moog (Made in 🇺🇸) in the next month or so. To the car's credit it spent its entire life in the Desert side of California, thus rubber tends to not last that long... a tradeoff I'm happy with for a Pilot that is rust free.

Also welcome to the family 🍻

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,329 Posts
Rust free? You are lucky.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Rust free? You are lucky.
I mean if you look really hard you can find some, but what is one to expect for a car that's 12 years old, and seen 129k miles (the previous owner drove around the circumference of the earth 5.18 times), and (so I don't "jack" the thread) can see the undercarriage pictures here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts