Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Honda Pilot is a one owner, bought it new. Last year my timing belt broke, it was serviced in the "Honda" recommended intervals but no service with Honda parts. It was is very good shape and well taken care of so I ordered a JDM Engine, I told them my Pilot was a 2005 model and they and they said they had a 2006 Ridgeline that would work. I ordered the engine and my mechanic install it. It ran OK but seemed down on power I drive 40 miles each way to work. It downshifted on the slightest grade to maintain speed. The check engine light started coming on P0172 changed a bunch of parts trying to resolve this. . It turns out the JDM engine is a VCM engine and my pilot is not.

I understand there is a VCM Muzzler device but I am not sure it will work since my ECM is not sending a signal for a VCM engine. It has been a good SUV and I don't want to give up on it but I have already put more money in it than it is worth.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
My 2005 Honda Pilot is a one owner, bought it new. Last year my timing belt broke, it was serviced in the "Honda" recommended intervals but no service with Honda parts. It was is very good shape and well taken care of so I ordered a JDM Engine, I told them my Pilot was a 2005 model and they and they said they had a 2006 Ridgeline that would work. I ordered the engine and my mechanic install it. It ran OK but seemed down on power I drive 40 miles each way to work. It downshifted on the slightest grade to maintain speed. The check engine light started coming on P0172 changed a bunch of parts trying to resolve this. . It turns out the JDM engine is a VCM engine and my pilot is not.

I understand there is a VCM Muzzler device but I am not sure it will work since my ECM is not sending a signal for a VCM engine. It has been a good SUV and I don't want to give up on it but I have already put more money in it than it is worth.
Even if the engine is equiped with VCM but you don't have the ECU to activate it, or for that matter the wiring harness to connect to the vtec solenoid, how could it ever come on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know that it is actually coming on or not, I would think that it is not since the ECU is not sending a signal. All of the wiring is properly terminated. It keeps tripping a P0172 check engine code and the VTM4 light and has low power at high speed.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
The trouble "could possibly" be in the vtec solinoid assemblies. These are 2wd and AWD sensitive. Could it be possible that it may currently be getting power to the front wheels only?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Sorry to say I think you messed up when you accepted an engine from a completely different vehicle.
There are so many variations of the J series engine and it can be so sensitive. This question on compatibility comes up really often. It’s best to just stick with the exact model. Last thing you want to do is drop a couple thousand dollars to put an engine in and then it not work or always have a check engine light.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Sorry to say I think you messed up when you accepted an engine from a completely different vehicle.
There are so many variations of the J series engine and it can be so sensitive. This question on compatibility comes up really often. It’s best to just stick with the exact model. Last thing you want to do is drop a couple thousand dollars to put an engine in and then it not work or always have a check engine light.
I'm holding out hope for the OP. It will be interesting to see if these 2wd or AWD Vtec assemblies can be swaped to solve his issue. If it does and the VCM equipment in the engine sits as a dead component, that will be very useful information to anyone needing an engine swap.
Engine compatibility maybe being determined by these v-tec assemblies which possibly could be interchangeable. That's my hope anyway.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
AFAIK the 03-05 ECUs aren't compatible with 06+ engines, I think that is where the problems lie.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
In my best Scotty Kilmer shouting and waving my hands, "Back when I was a young mechanic, you could swap any engine into any car with just a monkey wrench and a few bolts you picked up from your garage floor, but nowadays modern cars need fancy scan tools and putting in an engine that isn't an exact genetic match will be an endless money pit". :p

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
AFAIK the 03-05 ECUs aren't compatible with 06+ engines, I think that is where the problems lie.
Yes, but in OPs defense, he was told it would work. Was he lied to? I'm hoping a Vtec solenoid assembly for AWD will solve his problem. If it could possibly be installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The engine from JDM West Cost was represented as a 2005 Ridgeline. It was not until later that I realized there was no 2005 Ridgeline offered. I think the only true fix is to change the ECU and harness to match the engine.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
The engine from JDM West Cost was represented as a 2005 Ridgeline. It was not until later that I realized there was no 2005 Ridgeline offered. I think the only true fix is to change the ECU and harness to match the engine.
I hope your right. But I'm having doubts because only the 2wd models were equipped with VCM technology. The new wire harnesses will be missing connections for an AWD. I'd check this before buying since you have all your wire connections clipped in now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In my best Scotty Kilmer shouting and waving my hands, "Back when I was a young mechanic, you could swap any engine into any car with just a monkey wrench and a few bolts you picked up from your garage floor, but nowadays modern cars need fancy scan tools and putting in an engine that isn't an exact genetic match will be an endless money pit". :p
@plplplpl I hate that I could hear Scotty Kilmer yelling at me as I read that.

--Chris N.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts