Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone -

I have a 2005 Honda Pilot with 372,000+ miles. I'm the original owner and, well, it's the best car I've ever had. Recently I've been getting an intermittent VTM-4 warning light coming on. This only seems to happen when first starting the car when the engine is cold, and the light thus far has always disappeared after I turn the car off and restart. I haven't noticed any changes in the way the car is running or driving.

I put an OBDII reader on the car this morning and it indicated a VTM-4 Fault/1, but didn't generate any DTC codes for the VTM-4 system. Have any of y'all seen this "Fault/1" message before and know what it indicates?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Chris

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Ours throws up faults most frequently after starting in cold weather. I suspect it's more a matter of the computers not talking nicely to each other. Restarted or rebooting the car clears the display.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Does your reader read the Honda VTM codes? If it does not, then you can use the OBD port pin 4-9 jumper to read the codes via the blinks on the dashboard. That would give you Honda-specific codes which could be looked up in the FSM.
Or you could buy this to read the VTM codes as well as ABS, SRS, TPMS, AT and body electrical.

Reactions: 2_Stroke

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The scanner I'm using is a Foxwell NT520 Pro. It does claim to be able to read Honda VTM codes. I looked up the "Fault/1" message the scanner gave me in the Honda factory service manual, but didn't see anything about it.

I may try the 4-9 jumper on the OBD port - thanks for the tip!

Best regards,

Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, when was the last time you changed the VTM-4 fluid?
I try to change the ATF and VTM-4 every 30K miles. Both are approaching that point. I'd be surprised if that takes care of the issue as I've never seen the warning light coming on before any previous changes in 14 years ... but you never know. Good reminder to start with the easy stuff. :)

Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interestingly, I took the car out for a spin this morning and the VTM-4 warning light didn't come on. I'll report back when it does and I can investigate further. Meanwhile, the old girl continues to run like a top.

Chris

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You still have the stored code which you can decipher eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts