Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should be a reasonable Mechanic hourly rate for Honda Pilot repair?
I purchased 6 Denso Spark Plugs Iridium $50 online and had Mechanic replaced. Charge me labor $95 for 45 minutes of work performed.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Depends somewhat on your area, and urban centers tend to be more. Many mechanics just go by the "book" rate for the time it takes to do given jobs, which is often higher than actual time spent. I'd love to see a copy of that book, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct. He used "AllData" software which showed Spark Plugs replacement would take 1.1 hours and his std rate per hour is $89. I think $50/hour should be reasonable and I watch him replacing and it seems to be very straight forward and easy job. Anyway, everyone have to make living, so be it !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@plplpl: you can try this 5 day free trial that provides automotive repairs data used by most mechanic shop.

After free trial, there is a monthly subscription if you in business for repairs or collision.

Let me know if anyone on this forum have a better way to get educated before heading out to Mechanic for estimating efforts for certain repairs.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
@plplpl: you can try this 5 day free trial that provides automotive repairs data used by most mechanic shop.

After free trial, there is a monthly subscription if you in business for repairs or collision.

Let me know if anyone on this forum have a better way to get educated before heading out to Mechanic for estimating efforts for certain repairs.
Thanks for the info.

To try to answer your question, ask around, get references for trustworthy mechanics, and call a few ahead of time and just ask them about how much it might cost for this or that job. Most will probably quote you an hourly rate, and some might do it by the book and others by actual time, but some might at least give an approximate cost for specific jobs.

It's kind of hit or miss in the beginning before you establish a good relationship with a trusted mechanic, but once you've done your homework and vetted one or more good ones, keep their cards with you so when you break down you can get towed to them, not some shady character the tow truck driver has a kickback scheme going with.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,957 Posts
45 minutes to replace the spark plugs is not out of the question. That’s 7.5 minutes per plug. Some shops will charge actual time and some will charge book time. You found a shop which charges book time.

Be grateful shop rate is $89 in your area. Where I live it’s closer to $170 at the dealer, likely about $130 at an independent shop.

One thing I have learned over the years is if you don’t like paying shop rate for simpler jobs then figure out how to do them yourself. There is lots of good information on this forum as well as YouTube . . . You just have to filter out the occasional nonsense.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
This is the old case of wanting something for nothing ..these days people like to cheap out on repairs .. changing plugs is one of the easiest jobs to do ...learn it for the next time so you can do this yourself. 89 n hour is really not bad rate since it sounds like it's an independent shop..

It's embarrassing to think a $50 rate would be reasonable ...move down the road to the next guy see what they charge. Considering if you find one of those rare shops that actually do great work ..those are HARD to find.

Reactions: 97trophy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts