Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what I am doing wrong. The wire colors match up from jvc to the wiring harness which is then plugged into the larger blue connection where the old stereo used to be. However, when I turn on car... nothing happens with the stereo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They're not always color for color. Best to get a schematic for both the car and the stereo, and match what they go to.

·
Registered
695 Posts
That one heck of a nasty knot you got there. How did you connect the actual wires? Twisted them together? I typically solder and heatshrink my harnesses. Then, once sure they work I tape them up. Get some crimp 'butt' connectors from Home Depot or Amazon if you are not handy with soldering.

And make sure you double check the install guide for the JVC unit and the adapter harness. Most colors should match but some might not.

Also, if you wired something wrong and shorted it out, chances are you have blown a fuse.

Also, post exact model of your new JVC head.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

match this to the wire harness on the back of the radio

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
695 Posts
The pinout/colors of the vehicle-side connector might be helpful, but generally, if one obtained a Metra/Scosche harness for correct make/year range, it should fit that main connector and translate wire colors to industry standard (white/gray/green/purple for speakers, black/red/yellow for power, blue for amp remote etc). The biggest problem I am seeing is that blob of electric tape over a rather messy bunch of wires, at an angle that suggests twisted and taped or wire nuts. I am willing to bet something either shorted out or came apart in there.

You can get these:
https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Connectors-Waterproof-Electrical-Automotive/dp/B073RMRCC3,
They just need a heat gun to form nice, secure connection. (Hair dryer is not gonna cut it.)
Or you can get these
Those need to be crimped, but heat shrink can likely be done with hair dryer on high setting.

A properly done harness should look more like this: (and taped over once confirmed working)

It would be helpful to know the model of the head unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts