Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 2005 Honda Pilot today when driving home on the highway the D started flashing it seemed to drive him but I’m worried, I’m looking at buying a decent scan tool would a scan tool for around $200 be able to pull Honda transmission codes??? Have any of you ever had the symptom of the D flashing before?? The dipstick doesn’t have a low or a hot section or anything just 2 dots and the fluid is right in the middle, I’ll probably drain about 4 quarts and replace it with oem Honda fluid

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,272 Posts
Typical fix for the flashing D is to replace the 3rd and/or 4th gear pressure switches. There are many threads on this topic.

If you don’t have a Honda specific scan tool there is a way to flash the major code (but not subcode) on the dash lights. I think the instructions for how to do that is in one of the flashing D threads.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Typical fix for the flashing D is to replace the 3rd and/or 4th gear pressure switches. There are many threads on this topic.

If you don’t have a Honda specific scan tool there is a way to flash the major code (but not subcode) on the dash lights. I think the instructions for how to do that is in one of the flashing D threads.
I had the same thing happen two or three times on a 2005 TL. it was intermittent and rarely occurred, so I let it be. This was a car that I had changed the transmission fluid every second oil change on, so I knew it wasn’t from fluid-borne contaminants. Kept the car until 200,000 miles when I traded it in, and the transmission shifted with perfectly butter smooth shifted every time. If your experience is similar, I’d leave it alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same thing happen two or three times on a 2005 TL. it was intermittent and rarely occurred, so I let it be. This was a car that I had changed the transmission fluid every second oil change on, so I knew it wasn’t from fluid-borne contaminants. Kept the car until 200,000 miles when I traded it in, and the transmission shifted with perfectly butter smooth shifted every time. If your experience is similar, I’d leave it alone.
My car is a Honda pilot 2005 I got the same thing no code can't figure out. Change transmission fluid everything. Turn off the engine goes away Drive hundred miles I'll come back on only off the freeway on the freeway the light not coming on. Any ideas what to do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda pilot I can turn off the engine everything goes away 100 mils comes back again but only off the freeway when I'm on the freeway it's not coming back.mine has only 119,000 mileage only d is blinking no code . Any ideas what I can do???

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Did you have codes read with a Honda specific scan tool?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
When my ‘04 Pilot exhibited the shutters last yearI borrowed an ex-mechanic professional scanner which only got the generic transmission code P0700 which is not specific to solve the problem. Trip to the dealer for the specific issue was the 4th gear solenoid. As mentioned in this thread the 3rd or 4th solenoid may be the issue.
Azure Rectangle Purple Computer Line

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Interesting. There was a Honda specific code associated with the flashing D on my wife’s 2005 Pilot. It was for either the third or fourth gear pressure switch. I replaced both of them while I had the Pilot jacked up since I figured just do them both at the same time.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,595 Posts
As mentioned in this thread the 3rd or 4th solenoid may be the issue.
If you're on the healthy Valvoline Maxlife ATF regimen already, I agree that the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches are your next move. Go with OEM ones, which are still a heck of a lot cheaper than a transmission swap, and besides, although it's not a terribly difficult job, you don't want to be doing it twice because of aftermarket switches of dubious provenance and compatibility. Ask those who learned the hard way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.