Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the owner's manual:

"Your vehicle has been designed primarily for use on pavement. But its higher ground clearance and fourwheel drive VTM-4 system allow you to occasionally travel on unpaved roads, to campgrounds, picnic sites, and similar locations. It is not designed for trailblazing, mountain climbing, or other challenging offroad activities."

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Haha how much did your butt clench when the front of the hood went underwater?

These vehicles are pretty capable out of the box for 3 row family haulers!

I'd check for water in all of the drivetrain components after what I saw there for sure.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the breather box for the VTM-4 rear differential was submerged, then you should have the fluid changed.
I was planning on changing the fluid soon anyway, the new fluid came in last week. I didn't know about the breather box however; thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Cool!
If it kept running without sputtering your good, and a free engine wash.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
It's OEM, but I disconnected the intake hose from the filter box and pointed it upwards. It was still a little too close to drinking river water when the front end took that dive.
Hose pic! Hose pic!

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
If the breather box for the VTM-4 rear differential was submerged, then you should have the fluid changed.
Is that breather box the one kind of near the firewall close to the brake master cylinder, the one some people wonder what it could possibly be? If so, it's deliberately placed pretty much as high as possible, most likely for that precise reason.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Is that breather box the one kind of near the firewall close to the brake master cylinder, the one some people wonder what it could possibly be? If so, it's deliberately placed pretty much as high as possible, most likely for that precise reason.
No, it's the one for the rear differential. See item #7:

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Then that seems to have been positioned quite low, apt to take in water when fording. So I guess the one I was referring to is for the transmission or front transfer case?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
In general most SUVs are not set up for deep water fording so proper preparation would be needed to play in the water. My JK is rated for 30" water fording and I have moved the vents for axle, trans, t/c, etc even higher to prevent any issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts