Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2005 Honda 198k miles wanting to do some upgrades.

1410 8
I have a 2005 Honda pilot EX with 198k miles on it and I want to do some upgrades to the engine to give it some more power and in the long run turn it into a sleeper. I know enough about cars and I know a lot about my engine J35a6 and I already know I'm going to need a new trans this one is already slipping. I also was reading a lot about that the Cams and Rods are going to need to be upgraded from the start. I want some opinions on where I should start with parts and what I should do or if I should just do a full engine swap to something newer. also I was already looking at a better filter system for a start. I'm having a harder time finding performance Cams and Rods. we want to turn this into a sleep car for a few reasons the 2 mains ones being 1 project car to work on and 2 why the f*** not.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
See you space cowboy...
248 Posts
Imho Id go with a RDX if I was going the tuner route with an SUV/crossover. Its a turbo K series from the factory, awd, and the trans has sport mode. The K series engines also have a strong level of aftermarket support. The biggest issue to overcome with the pilot is the weight. 2nd will be if a fresh trans will handle additional power. Personally, the pilot is great all around vehicle. But, it aint fast. I can pull on my lexus for maybe a second due to the awd then she freight trains me hard and puts 3-4 car lengths on me. I built high performance cars and racecar's for years. My best suggestion is to make sure you start with the right platform for modifications from the start or you'll end up having to create some of them which isn't easy. That's just my 2 cents. P2R racing sells after market J series support. Its not pilot specific parts though.

· Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda pilot EX with 198k miles on it and I want to do some upgrades to the engine to give it some more power and in the long run turn it into a sleeper
Plan on cutting some weight then swap in the more powerful TL motor 275-300hp which should challenge you enough getting the electronics right...then ya got a sleeper

· Registered
10,536 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda pilot EX with 198k miles on it and I want to do some upgrades to the engine to give it some more power and in the long run turn it into a sleeper.
Unless it's been done recently, at 198K miles you'll be due for a timing belt "upgrade" soon.
If it's never been done, a 2005 Pilot should have a radiator "upgrade".

· Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,592 Posts
I believe it's the wrong vehicle. The VTM-4 makes transmission swaps other than stock impossible. Could cause limp mode. Of course lots of money and time could over come this.

· Registered
See you space cowboy...
248 Posts
I'm willing to put in sizable amount 10k ish
If you have your heart set on a modified J series, you should check out the 2007+/- Accord coupe or senab V6 with the 6 speed. The J30 is a square design so it would great NA or boosted. The transmissions situation would already be worked out. Manuals are generally more stout. Personally Id keep the pilot as a daily and use that $10k to get a Accord. But, if you really want to attempt a fast Pilot I wont stop you. Definitely would be cool to see and kinda scary 😨😅. I wonder if you could make a adapter plate and use a buick 3800 supercharger in the J series?. That be cheap boost for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.