Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been having shifting issues. (Not grabbing when downshifting and jerkiness)
I got a check engine light and flashing D. I Just did the paper clip test and these are my results.

Check Enging light: 70
"D" light: 46? Or maybe 40 and 6?
VTM: 77

If someone could maybe help me figure out what these mean and what i need to do to fix it, that would be amazing.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
CEL Code 70 indicates a problem w/ the automatic transmission (generic code)

D-Light Code 40 is Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off
D-Light Code 6 is Transmission range switch (open)
D-Light Code 46 doesn't exist (I couldn't find anything)

VTM Code 77 indicates a defective PCM (computer).

Best bet would be to start by getting a used PCM of ebay or car-part.com and try swapping it out. Otherwise that trans code 40 could be bad news.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just did the paperclip trick on my 2005 Pilot. These are the codes I got: D light= 2 long and 7 short. Check Engine light= 7 long, 16 long and 5 short. And the VTM-4 never blinked, stayed lite. I am ok with the the d light code. Can someone help me out on the check engine and vtm-4 lights?? I don't have a clue! Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife's '04 pilot started the blinking behavior about a week ago, so I did some research here and as usual, I found some great DIY posts by 94eg!. You helped me change her timing belt too by the way. In any case, I followed the short 4-9 method to extract the trany codes and had a similar issue as the other post. :21:

Woah! Scary moment for you. I've my share of them too. Pretty much every time you see a spark, it's almost always a blown fuse (unless your messing with the battery terminals).

BTW: Connecting 9 & 4 vs 4 & 9 is the exact same thing. Perhaps you meant you connected 8 & 13? Either way, I'm really glad to see you getting to know your vehicle.
lol, I ended up initially shorting out 16 + 5 which is an exact mirrot image of the pins that are needed. this also happens to be +12v and Signal ground. Anyway the fuse blew and it took me about 30 minutes of research to figure out where the fuse was that blew. The fuse most often referred to seemed to be #6 under the dash, however in this case it was in the engine compartment fuse box.

VTM Code 77 indicates a defective PCM (computer).

Best bet would be to start by getting a used PCM of ebay or car-part.com and try swapping it out. Otherwise that trans code 40 could be bad news.
Once I replaced the fuse and connected the jumper in the correct orientation, I saw that D was flashing TWO short and Eight long = 28 - ATF temperature sensor (range/performance, short, or open)

My question is whether or not this is usually an actual sensor that has shorted or if there is a wiring problem. The blinking is intermittent.

I also received the blinking VTM 77 code when checking the codes, however this light has never lit up before under normal conditions. (ie... not with 9 & 4 shorted) The Pilot drives fine, does this mean 100% that the PCM is defective? The reason I ask is that I would think I would be have far greater issues if the PCM was also bad. I figured it maybe an artifact of gathering the code without a scanner. Thanks again 94eg!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Are you positive it wasn't 2 long and 8 short? That would be a code 28.

Sorry but either way I'm not farmiliar with this problem. Might be worth investing the $50 from helm-inc to get the OEM shop manual. It will definitely have a flow chart to diagnose this code. Flow charts can be lengthy to follow, but you will end up checking every single connection & piece of wire related to that sensor as well as the sensors function.

·
Registered
62 Posts
About a week ago the "D" light on my gear indicator in my 2005 Pilot started flashing which I know means there might be something up with the transmission so we stopped driving it as mush as we normally do. Yesterday my mom and my sister had to use it though and they noticed that it was hesitant to shift and when it did it was really rough, and almost "sluggish" as my mother put it.
I've been trying to research the possibilities of what it could be all over the internet, but I can't find any consistent answers. Any ideas?

Search no more for answers. There are some great folks on this forum with a wealth of knowledge.:29:

·
Registered
2005 and 2007 Honda Pilot EX
2 Posts
Update on price of the 3rd and 4th switch pricing from the Dealer. I paid $164 for both switches and two crush washers w/9% sales tax 9(March 3, 2020). They are now approx $82 each. They were easy to install. The 3rd gear switch one needs to loosen the cable bracket in front of it. Able to move cable out of the way without disconnecting it. Did not use a socket but used a 22 mm open end wrench? to remove the switch.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
231 Posts
I got my 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches from hondapartsnow a couple weeks ago, for about $125 total, including shipping. There are cheaper generic ones on Amazon, but most of the reviews say they will fail after a few months, so I figured using genuine Honda parts would be worth it for something like this.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts