Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 EX-L, everything pretty much on schedule with maintenance, 166k miles.

Pretty much trouble free since bought, with some new parts after 100k (timing belt, oil pan, water pump, break pads/rotors...). No accident.

Today, at oil change, the shop (local shop with good reputation and I have used for 8 years) said that the car has the following issues and probably need to be addressed in a few month, if not sooner.

Oil pump, minor leak
Engine mounts, 2 out of 3 broken, only the rare one is still intact
Steering wheel liquid is leaking

If repair all three about, might just do the timing belt as well.

Total cost will be over $2500.

The car's trade-in value is probably around $2000.

I was planning to get a 2018 or 2019 Pilot and give this one to my daughter, who will be 16 in a few month. Now the question is should I keep it? If keep it, should I fix it? My daughter's high school is about 2 miles away, and she also needs to drive about 8 miles local road to her swim practices 7 or 8 times a week. A breakdown would be some trouble but not too serious.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
You know the history of the vehicle which is important. If you buy another vehicle to replace it there will be a lot of unknowns. Personally I would keep it for your daughter.
If you got 166k miles out of the front and passenger side motor mounts you got your money’s worth out of them.
I don’t recall seeing many posts regarding the oil pump. I thought that is internal to the engine but I haven’t done any research so I could definitely be wrong.
Did your mechanic give details regarding what the ps fluid is leaking from?
You said you replaced the timing belt at 100k. Have you ever replaced the radiator? The radiator on the 2005 appears to have a higher failure percentage than other years. If the radiator is original I personally would use the money to replace it and save up for the TB job. I gambled with our timing belt and ran it to 11 years at ~80k miles. It all depends on your risk tolerance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi road2cycle, thanks for the advice. I believe that the radiator was replace, after you mention it.

I did not ask to much details about the issue but I will. The shop has great reviews and I had never had trouble with them. I will give them a call and see. The manager told me that I have a couple month to pull the the trigger so I believe that nothing is very serious at this moment.

With your suggestion, I am more leaning toward fix and keep it.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
2005 EX-L, everything pretty much on schedule with maintenance, 166k miles.

Pretty much trouble free since bought, with some new parts after 100k (timing belt, oil pan, water pump, break pads/rotors...). No accident.

Today, at oil change, the shop (local shop with good reputation and I have used for 8 years) said that the car has the following issues and probably need to be addressed in a few month, if not sooner.

Oil pump, minor leak
Engine mounts, 2 out of 3 broken, only the rare one is still intact
Steering wheel liquid is leaking

If repair all three about, might just do the timing belt as well.

Total cost will be over $2500.

The car's trade-in value is probably around $2000.

I was planning to get a 2018 or 2019 Pilot and give this one to my daughter, who will be 16 in a few month. Now the question is should I keep it? If keep it, should I fix it? My daughter's high school is about 2 miles away, and she also needs to drive about 8 miles local road to her swim practices 7 or 8 times a week. A breakdown would be some trouble but not too serious.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice.
so you only dumped so far $2500 in repairs for worn items ? your better off than most others here ..try $1300 in brake system replacement due to contamination , or how about $4800 in shocks (rear)+ springs , struts+springs , bearings,(front/back) front bushings, timing belt job + thermostat +new engine mounts 3 of them and new muffler. and a new oil cap (the boss broke the damn thing in the engine) yes I said CAP not oil bolt :)

The guys at the dealership were all scratching their heads when i showed them the cap with no screw thread.

I would keep it ..

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
My 05 has 80k miles plus than yours. I think there is nothing more important than a known history.
Before I let my son take it to college, brakes and tires were replaced.
It makes no economic sense but his safety is key.

Get her s AAA card and teach here how to do simple maintenance including tires.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My 05 has 80k miles plus than yours. I think there is nothing more important than a known history.
Before I let my son take it to college, brakes and tires were replaced.
It makes no economic sense but his safety is key.

Get her s AAA card and teach here how to do simple maintenance including tires.
Rocky's right on this ..my other 06 is also way past the 200k mark and it's more dependable than my crap of a 2015 ..
Maintenance is always key

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for all the suggestions! I will keep it.

My daughter will still live in the house for about a year and half before she goes to college, and we have roadside assistant with our insurance.

My wife throw another option to me: by a second hand car for our daughter, say a Civic in 2013 to 2015, and keep the Pilot in good shape and I can drive it for a few more years. Anyway, I will probably get a car checked by another shop with good reputation and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thank you guys for all the suggestions! I will keep it.

My daughter will still live in the house for about a year and half before she goes to college, and we have roadside assistant with our insurance.

My wife throw another option to me: by a second hand car for our daughter, say a Civic in 2013 to 2015, and keep the Pilot in good shape and I can drive it for a few more years. Anyway, I will probably get a car checked by another shop with good reputation and see what they say.
You realize you are giving up the chance to finally get what "you want " :) lol

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
and a new oil cap (the boss broke the damn thing in the engine) yes I said CAP not oil bolt :)

The guys at the dealership were all scratching their heads when i showed them the cap with no screw thread.
Over the past six or seven years I have been doing the majority of the repair work on the Pilot except for the timing belt and oil changes. Two weeks ago I changed the oil on the Pilot myself for the first time since we bought it new in 2005. That engine oil cap was beyond hand tight! It took vice grips to get that thing loosened up. It was in the back of my mind that the top of the cap might separate from the threads.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Over the past six or seven years I have been doing the majority of the repair work on the Pilot except for the timing belt and oil changes. Two weeks ago I changed the oil on the Pilot myself for the first time since we bought it new in 2005. That engine oil cap was beyond hand tight! It took vice grips to get that thing loosened up. It was in the back of my mind that the top of the cap might separate from the threads.
Yes i noticed that also when the new one put on ..when i did the oil change the bugger was really on tight. Used a pipe pliers to get it to budge.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I will get a 2019 Pilot and give this 2005 to my daughter. She said she likes it.
Make sure you get the bumper to bumper warranty

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If you get the 2019 Pilot with the >6 speed tranny be prepared to shell out $50 per quart for the ATF. I’m not sure what is in that fluid which makes it so expensive.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What does an oil pump leak look like?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too have a 2005 EXL which came with a 2nd home we bought in SW Fla 18 months ago. The previous owners (older couple) maintained the car in a meticulous manner and I have only done two things to the car. I replaced the headliner for appearance purposes and the radiator (based on the pink milkshake discussion on this board). The car is very clean, new tires and no known mechanical problems. I have detailed maintenance records from the dealership in SW Fla. The car just turned 64K miles. For all practical purposes, the car is perfect for our needs.

So, while the car is all of that, there is a minor vanity issue with the age of the car and I miss Bluetooth Audio, Hands Free Phone, Backup Camera, Parking Assist, Newer/Better ABS and some of the other modern goodies.

I've been looking at used Pilots ('16-'17) with under 15K miles and it seems I could get an EXL for around or under $30K based upon online listings. I guess I could do better by haggling.

I love the 2005 and, while I do some window shopping online in my spare time, I'm not all that motivated. I like the old style much more than the new ones anyway.

What is the opinion on the newer Pilots?

I know the logical thing to do is ride this Pilot into the six figures. What's everyone think?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My opinion of the newer Pilots is that they look like a lifted minivan, and that is not a compliment. Personally I think the 2003-05 chassis was the best looking version and they have gone downhill in the looks department from there.
If I were in your shoes I would keep the 2005 until you really hit the point where you have to have the added features a newer vehicle offers.
I plan to keep my 2005 for as long as it remains reliable transportation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Honda tech here, and i too have a 2005 EX-L Pilot that i bought used from our dealership.

The biggest problem with the first gen Pilots is realistically 2 major things, the VSA modulator tends to go bad ( locking up opposite wheels as if the calipers are stuck ) and the radiator trans. cooler going bad dissolving the barrier that keeps the coolant and trans. fluid from mixing, a close second would be the timing belt tensioner that leaks & loses its hydraulic tensioner causing the belt to jump or rattle

other than that i have had no problems with the Pilot.

Small things like the headliner falling down or the 6 disc changer not working, if you are resourceful you can find a headliner or interior shop that can re upholster , or get an ebay 6 disc changer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts