Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it turns over just fine.

it is my daily driver, I drove it yesterday with no issues at all. Parked it mid afternoon. . .

This morning it will not start after several attempts.

Like a lot of cars it can be sensitive to weather conditions But I live in the south and it wasnt below 50* over night.

Any insight into this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
If the starter is turning the motor over but you're not getting anything, I'd recommend troubleshooting the 3 main things needed for combustion: air, fuel, spark. There are a lot of youtube videos out there providing instructions on how to troubleshoot these. Regardless, I'd probably look at all of your fuses first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After talking to a few friends it seems that it flooded overnight.

On the second attempt, the vehicle hesitated a bit and started...followed by a strong smell of gas.

I know nothing about repair or troubleshooting ... but I understand that this can be a fuel system issue and the likely culprit is a fuel injector misbehaving. How likely is this analysis correct?

Based on the information that it is a fuel system issue I have tried some fuel system treatment as a temporary measure. So far it starts every time as if nothing ever happened.

Is a fuel system treatment suggested? What else can I do on a budget?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im back!

I added some fuel treatment to my vehicle and I have not had any problems in weeks.

Now I have noticed that it will hesitate to start about half of the time. I was sure this was a battery or starter issue. But I was told that a fuel filter may also be suspect. How can I test this theory that it is the fuel filter?

·
Registered
171 Posts
>>>How can I test this theory that it is the fuel filter?

That's not easy. Fuel filter is designed to be permanent. Getting to it requires removing the second-row driver's side seat, for starters.

>>>I added some fuel treatment to my vehicle and I have not had any problems in weeks.

If cheap and easy is still the priority, do it again. Or try something similar, like a tank or two of Chevron gas. The gas is the same as everywhere else, but their "Techron" additive seems to improve fuel system crankiness sometimes.

·
Registered
452 Posts
After talking to a few friends it seems that it flooded overnight.

On the second attempt, the vehicle hesitated a bit and started...followed by a strong smell of gas.

I know nothing about repair or troubleshooting ... but I understand that this can be a fuel system issue and the likely culprit is a fuel injector misbehaving. How likely is this analysis correct?

Based on the information that it is a fuel system issue I have tried some fuel system treatment as a temporary measure. So far it starts every time as if nothing ever happened.

Is a fuel system treatment suggested? What else can I do on a budget?

One possibility is a bad fuel pressure regulator. This can let raw gas into the intake manifold, causing hard starting and black exhaust. Check the vacuum hose from the regulator to the manifold. If there is any gasoline in it, the regulator has failed. Check a YouTube video on this for more info. Google HONDA J engine fuel pressure regulator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts