Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a weird one. I live in Europe and am trying to register a Pilot. This requires making a few changes the most painful of which is changing the rear turn signal color from red to amber/yellow. My latest plan is to purchase a pair of 06 tail lights since they have clear glass, crack them open, remove the top red signal indicator lens and install some type of yellow/amber lens cover. The other option is to try and install a new amber turn signal in the bumper area, one for the left and another for the right.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Best,

Aaron

·
Administrator
15,465 Posts
I did once spot a 2003-5 Pilot in London once. It had what I assume were turn signals added into the bumper using clear lens. The red light under the bumper is the fog light that is also a mandatory requirement in the EEC. Your headlights will probably require help to bring into compliance.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/2-general-discussions/12476-pilot-spotted-england.html

Thank you Google for helping me find the thread and image. Taken just two months after I bought our Silver Pilot.... It was a case of oh look a Pilot....hang on they don't sell that here. Probably imported by US Military serviceman.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a big help. Exactly what we were thinking of doing if it comes to that. Same story here. Vehicle imported to the EU by a diplomat sold to a friend that's a local and now he's trying to get it registered. Appreciate your time in posting the pic.

·
Administrator
15,465 Posts
You are welcome. It’s a simpler way to do it. The tail lights you are looking at getting are sealed together. You would need to have someone split them, break out the lens then reseal.
The lights in bumper looks easier and probably cheaper.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,876 Posts
Not sure what year your Pilot is but parts from 2003-05 might not fit on 2006-08 and vice versus.

·
Administrator
15,465 Posts
Not sure what year your Pilot is but parts from 2003-05 might not fit on 2006-08 and vice versus.
The thread title says 2005.
Taillights on 2003 to 2008 are interchangeable. Putting 2006-2008 clear tail lights on 2003-2005 was a popular/trendy thing to do several years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I did this on my 05. I got some cheap 06-08 style clear tail lights, then popped the top red lense out by poking through the bulb opening with a screwdriver. it comes out fairly easily. then just get some amber bulbs to go in instead of the white ones. turn signals are much brighter and much more noticeable too.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Ok, I did this on my 05. I got some cheap 06-08 style clear tail lights, then popped the top red lense out by poking through the bulb opening with a screwdriver. it comes out fairly easily. then just get some amber bulbs to go in instead of the white ones. turn signals are much brighter and much more noticeable too.
Wait, what?

Since the turn signal lamp (the top of the two) is a dual filament bulb which is also a taillight (rear position lamp), did you...

a) get a dual filament amber bulb drive around at night with the top tailight amber instead of red?

or

b) get a single filament amber bulb which works only for your turn signal, but not as a taillight? (You might be able to get away with this because the bottom of the the two rear lights is also a dual filament bulb which serves for the brake lights and...as a taillight.)

·
Registered
5,202 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here they are. the only thing is it’s impossible to get the red lense out of the housing after popping it out. so i just let it fall to the bottom and sprayed the bottom half with vht nightshade so it’s less noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Nice, so I practiced with an old slightly cracked taillight assembly I had replaced but kept, and yeah, the top red lens does pop out pretty easily. However, I soon realized what you just posted, that once popped out, what do you do with it, since it's just set loose inside the assembly?

Your solution looks pretty inconspicuous, but I'm wondering if short of opening the assembly up, which I don't want tho do, there might be a way to cut the lens up into pieces in there small enough to extract from the bulb holes? Once popped out, it's a kind of point of no return, because you can't put the lens back in place, so I'm glad I tried it out with an old assembly first. The resulting amber turn signal does look nice, though, so I hope there's a solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yea i’ve tried to break it up into pieces with a pair of pliers, and it broke the pliers. if you find a way to get them out, please let me know!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Workin' on it and cogitating...

My first thought was maybe regular or needle nose pliers, or perhaps long and thin wire cutter pliers, but the wire cutters I have are too short and fat. The other challenge is not to damage the inside of the assembly, so some kind of little dremel tool (?), but it would have to be long and thin, and you'd have to be really careful in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
An engineer friend suggested going at it with a two-pronged approach, which makes sense, by simultaneously holding the lens through the bulb hole with needle nose pliers while using a drill with a long bit through the same hole and carefully and systematically drilling the popped off lens into small enough pieces to remove from that hole. I've tried grabbing on to the lens through the bulb hole with needle nose pliers, and that could work, but that's as far as I've had time to try up to now.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,876 Posts
If the drill method doesn’t work maybe try using a heated exacto blade to cut through the lens while holding onto it with the needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why don't you guys put it in the oven and separate the lens? Drilling it into pieces you'll end up with a lot of dust sticking inside your housing. Air blow it can't get all those pieces and dust out. Or fill it with water and soap and rise it, but you may end up with water spots inside, you may require silica gel to slowly remove all the moisture inside. It's a longer process. The only best solution is separate the lens then remove it. Put it in the oven on some sort of baking sheet or a slight wet rag and bake it for 6-10minutes at 200 degrees and check often at 6mins if the silicon/butyl is softened enough to be separate. Or a heat gun with the tail light in a cardboard box would work too.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Why don't you guys put it in the oven and separate the lens? Drilling it into pieces you'll end up with a lot of dust sticking inside your housing. Air blow it can't get all those pieces and dust out. Or fill it with water and soap and rise it, but you may end up with water spots inside, you may require silica gel to slowly remove all the moisture inside. It's a longer process. The only best solution is separate the lens then remove it. Put it in the oven on some sort of baking sheet or a slight wet rag and bake it for 6-10minutes at 200 degrees and check often at 6mins if the silicon/butyl is softened enough to be separate. Or a heat gun with the tail light in a cardboard box would work too.
I thought of that, but how about when you try to put it back together again? How do you get it to reseal completely? Just the hairline crack you can see in my test assembly pictured earlier was enough for condensation to accumulate inside the assembly, thus prompting me to change it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can get some high temp RTV Silicon to add on when you put it back inside the oven for the butyl to soften then push the lens back in then add extra RTV Silicon, or you can buy some Butyl from TRS and order some Switchback LED while you at it. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts