Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
321 Posts
Getting back to transmission- anybody seen a maintenance schedule for replacing the atf filter? I couldn’t find it in my 2005 shop manual.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Getting back to transmission- anybody seen a maintenance schedule for replacing the atf filter? I couldn’t find it in my 2005 shop manual.
Thanks
I don't believe you will find it listed as a maintenance item. Change at your discretion.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,566 Posts
Thanks
There isn’t a schedule for it. As you found, the FSM doesn’t mention how to replace it. I did check with the dealer I bought the parts from and they said 104 inch-lb (8.7 ft-lb) on the three filter cover bolts. Now I just need time and vehicle availability to do the job.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
321 Posts
There isn’t a schedule for it. As you found, the FSM doesn’t mention how to replace it. I did check with the dealer I bought the parts from and they said 104 inch-lb (8.7 ft-lb) on the three filter cover bolts. Now I just need time and vehicle availability to do the job.
Yeahhhh... headed to Louisiana to help mom in wife’s car and will leave her the non- air conditioned pilot for her use( her insistence-not kidding). Waiting until I return before taking a chance on screwing up the transmission with filter replacement. After I get back I plan on attacking the filter then ac compressor if all goes well with filter/drain &fill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
So I did the timing belt kit water pump, tensioners etc at Firestone 2 weeks ago. I just found out that the previous owner (mom!!) just had that done end of 2018. Only 2,000 miles on the car with that need timing belt kit. Beyond livid that 1. Previous owner (mom!!!) forgot to tell me she did it and 2. Firestone couldn’t tell that it had been done. Now I’m out close to $1000. Cannot believe they couldn’t have maybe started on it, and said, “welp, looks like ya gotta fresh one on already! Guess I’ll just do it anyway.” They scammed us into doing as she “forgot” that she had just done it late 2018 and only had 2000 miles from time of service until today. Got it done at 113k only has 115k. Killing me smalls! Should Firestone do something nice for me? I need new tires on that car now I think. My fault for not doing even more due diligence on history.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Congratulations on a great purchase.. I've got 249k miles on my 2005. Check radiator, the original needs to be replaced at some point. Check posts on this site regarding this..
I would do a transmission fluid swap, gradual fluid change is better than complete drain and fill..again, see related posts. Good luck and happy motoring!
Plan on radiator. Found some tires a Pull a Part for full size spare too.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
321 Posts
Plan on radiator. Found some tires a Pull a Part for full size spare too.
You are On It!!! Congratulations for being so Pro Active! Take care of that vehicle and it will take care of you.
Forgive Mom- I'm sure you costed her more than 1 G not to mention the possibility of some grey hairs and wrinkles. Kids just do that.
Radiator is a Must Do on 2005. Mine failed - luckily at the aft cooler hose connection to radiator. You don't want a pink milkshake taking your vehicle away.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
321 Posts
I look forward to your Successful Results. Please share your process and things that you found would make the job easier. Thank You,
Conrad

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
321 Posts
I know that many won't agree, however I will give you my experience. I bought an 08 Pilot with 115,000 miles. As far as the previous owner knew, the transmission fluid had not been changed. I read opinions saying not to change the fluid, if regular drains and fills were not done. I also read opinions that said that the prior advice had no basis on fact.

I decided to do a drain and fill. I had my mechanic do it. Within a week, the transmission was slipping. I had to replace the transmission.

Did changing the fluid ruin the transmission? No way to know for sure, however if it did not, it is quite a coincidence.
maybe they did a Flush? I've read that can mess up some transmissions? Certainly a strange coincidence.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
So I did the timing belt kit water pump, tensioners etc at Firestone 2 weeks ago. I just found out that the previous owner (mom!!) just had that done end of 2018. Only 2,000 miles on the car with that need timing belt kit. Beyond livid that 1. Previous owner (mom!!!) forgot to tell me she did it and 2. Firestone couldn’t tell that it had been done. Now I’m out close to $1000. Cannot believe they couldn’t have maybe started on it, and said, “welp, looks like ya gotta fresh one on already! Guess I’ll just do it anyway.” They scammed us into doing as she “forgot” that she had just done it late 2018 and only had 2000 miles from time of service until today. Got it done at 113k only has 115k. Killing me smalls! Should Firestone do something nice for me? I need new tires on that car now I think. My fault for not doing even more due diligence on history.
As much as I'm not a fan Firestone, no, they owe you nothing if they did the job. In the mechanics defense, looking for highly debatable signs that the timing belt has or hasn't been replaced is not what he was instructed to do. A belt could still have the ink print on it but be old. Sorry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
You are On It!!! Congratulations for being so Pro Active! Take care of that vehicle and it will take care of you.
Forgive Mom- I'm sure you costed her more than 1 G not to mention the possibility of some grey hairs and wrinkles. Kids just do that.
Radiator is a Must Do on 2005. Mine failed - luckily at the aft cooler hose connection to radiator. You don't want a pink milkshake taking your vehicle away.
You think I should do it before my 500+ mile journey back? Going through NC mnts on way back up.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
You think I should do it before my 500+ mile journey back? Going through NC mnts on way back up.
2005 Honda Pilot radiators have been being replaced for known defect for over 10 years now. Add age rust and corrosion to this known defect, I say it be best to change sooner than later.
Are you sure it's never been replaced?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,566 Posts
2005 Honda Pilot radiators have been being replaced for known defect for over 10 years now. Add age rust and corrosion to this known defect, I say it be best to change sooner than later.
Are you sure it's never been replaced?
I believe the OEM radiator part number is molded into upper plastic section. Honda changed the part number of the OEM radiator after enough failures occurred. Mine was a digit or letter different compared to the original. An aftermarket radiator will have a completely different part number.

If you can compare part numbers that will give you an idea if the radiator is original.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
61 - 78 of 78 Posts