Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
First the Duke was from Iowa, not Texas. Pease do not insult the Duke. (This be yor one an only warning on the matter pilgrim)
John Wayne portrayed a cowboy in Texas..... many times.
Secondly, we do not put horse flesh into our ROADS when they are being constructed or repaired. We do ride horses, like the one that I RODE yesterday.
Thank you for correcting my spelling My High School English teacher Mrs Baker did did the best she could, she helped me graduate and I didn't have any use for college.
I've rode many horses in my life. Owned a few cows, an uncountable amount of hogs, raised chickens, etc. Our house had a screen door that was always unlocked and who ever could walk in. I know what a cistern is, and what it's like to need your septic tank pumped out occasionally. I ran around outside without shoes. Played in muddy cotton field throwing mud at your friend's, swimming in irrigation ditches, the Rio Grande river and canals along the border. I've hunted, fished, gigged bull frogs. We always ate our game. You name it, if it's edible, I've probably tried it.
City boys, y'all need to get off them 75 mile an hour curvy highways onto some of them there county roads and meet the heart of this nation. Y'all would be in fer a heap a leaning. 🤠
I dont consider myself a city person. I may live in town now, but our town is quite country. I have some acres a few miles out of town on a country road. Maybe make a move someday. Will see. ✌

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
="Nail Grease, post: 1708732, member: 307996"]
John Wayne portrayed a cowboy in Texas..... many times.
He was just pretending then. Rancho Pavoreal, Waynes actual 2000 acre ranch is in Riverside California. It is currently on the market for 8 million. Just the place a rich Texas oil man might want to buy.😁

Thank you for correcting my spelling My High School English teacher Mrs Baker did did the best she could, she helped me graduate and I didn't have any use for college.
I've rode many horses in my life. Owned a few cows, an uncountable amount of hogs, raised chickens, etc. Our house had a screen door that was always unlocked and who ever could walk in. I know what a cistern is, and what it's like to need your septic tank pumped out occasionally. I ran around outside without shoes. Played in muddy cotton field throwing mud at your friend's, swimming in irrigation ditches, the Rio Grande river and canals along the border. I've hunted, fished, gigged bull frogs. We always ate our game. You name it, if it's edible, I've probably tried it.
Well that explains a lot. The only thing worser then a sheep farmer is hog farmer. The minute refrigeration came to our county grandad sold the hogs and we bought pork in town after that. Nothings smellier or dirtier than hogs. :LOL:

I dont consider myself a city person. I may live in town now, but our town is quite country. I have some acres a few miles out of town on a country road. Maybe make a move someday. Will see. ✌
"Well now Miss Nail Grease, I recon i'll mosey on out to the garage and work on the ole Crosstour. "

;) :D 😁 😆 :LOL: 😅 😂 🤣

You realize I'm just pulling your lariat.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
He was just pretending then. Rancho Pavoreal, Waynes actual 2000 acre ranch is in Riverside California. It is currently on the market for 8 million. Just the place a rich Texas oil man might want to buy.😁
If you read my first post about John Wayne, I wasn't claiming that John Wayne was born here or lived here. I don't need a history lesson on the Duke. I simply stated what some think when you tell them your from Texas, based on movies they've watched. Just like someone from Australia might be stereotyped as living out in the outback.
Your killing me. Lol
Well that explains a lot. The only thing worser then a sheep farmer is hog farmer. The minute refrigeration came to our county grandad sold the hogs and we bought pork in town after that. Nothings smellier or dirtier than hogs. :LOL:
That was a long time ago. Fond memories as a kid. Gotta make sure your chickens don't get in the pen with the boar hog. Their blood thirsty killers.
"Well now Miss Nail Grease, I recon i'll mosey on out to the garage and work on the ole Crosstour. "

View attachment 147407

;) :D 😁 😆 :LOL: 😅 😂 🤣
Not my style, I never owned a Cadillac with Longhorns on the hood. I think that's more Viva Las Vegas. 😏
You realize I'm just pulling your lariat.
I hope so.
Guess it's a slow day on the farm.
Sure could use a little more rain down this way.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
If you read my first post about John Wayne, I wasn't claiming that John Wayne was born here or lived here. I don't need a history lesson on the Duke. I simply stated what some think when you tell them your from Texas, based on movies they've watched. Just like someone from Australia might be stereotyped as living out in the outback.
Your killing me. Lol

That was a long time ago. Fond memories as a kid. Gotta make sure your chickens don't get in the pen with the boar hog. Their blood thirsty killers.

Not my style, I never owned a Cadillac with Longhorns on the hood. I think that's more Viva Las Vegas. 😏

I hope so.
Guess it's a slow day on the farm.
Sure could use a little more rain down this way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know that many won't agree, however I will give you my experience. I bought an 08 Pilot with 115,000 miles. As far as the previous owner knew, the transmission fluid had not been changed. I read opinions saying not to change the fluid, if regular drains and fills were not done. I also read opinions that said that the prior advice had no basis on fact.

I decided to do a drain and fill. I had my mechanic do it. Within a week, the transmission was slipping. I had to replace the transmission.

Did changing the fluid ruin the transmission? No way to know for sure, however if it did not, it is quite a coincidence.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I know that many won't agree, however I will give you my experience. I bought an 08 Pilot with 115,000 miles. As far as the previous owner knew, the transmission fluid had not been changed. I read opinions saying not to change the fluid, if regular drains and fills were not done. I also read opinions that said that the prior advice had no basis on fact.

I decided to do a drain and fill. I had my mechanic do it. Within a week, the transmission was slipping. I had to replace the transmission.

Did changing the fluid ruin the transmission? No way to know for sure, however if it did not, it is quite a coincidence.
No, you probably used Honda DW-1 and that caused it.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Lol, everyone at the time said only use Honda ATF.
Yep, I know. All that low mileage transmission likely needed was a few Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF drain and fills. After the 1st drain and fill, drive a few miles warming the engine and transmission to operating temperature, to mix new fluid with what old is left in the transmission. Then do the 2nd. Drive a week a month, 100-500 miles (no rule), do the 3rd.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts

Did you only have one drain/refill done?
If so, that only changes about one-third of the old fluid.
For fluid that old, Honda would likely recommend a "flush" of the fluid - which they define as a series of four drain/refill cycles, with some driving (or at least running the transmission through all of the gears) in between.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did two drains and fill. Transmission started slipping. Did a third with a cleaner recommended by transmission shop.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I did two drains and fill. Transmission started slipping. Did a third with a cleaner recommended by transmission shop.
🤦‍♂️
Would you happen to know what they told you put in as a cleaner?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
No. The guy from the transmission shop gave it to my mechanic.
Really sorry, I hate to be negative, but I believe they did you a disservice. Especially since it was shifting on old fluid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just bought a 2005 Pilot EX 115,000 sun belt, just installed timing belt kit, water pump, tensioner and new coolant. Besides normal oil changes, previous owner hasn’t done anything to it. I plan on changing the spark plugs soon.

1. If the transmission shifts great and no record of fluid change, should I still do it?
2. Change the diff fluid, but doubt they have ever needed full 4WD/AWD going up and down a frontage road in the low-country.

I just read the complete PDF list of green yellow red items.

do you have any other recommendations of immediate maintenace I should do that you all recommend?

Thanks,
Just joined 4/3/2021
Congratulations on a great purchase.. I've got 249k miles on my 2005. Check radiator, the original needs to be replaced at some point. Check posts on this site regarding this..
I would do a transmission fluid swap, gradual fluid change is better than complete drain and fill..again, see related posts. Good luck and happy motoring!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Really sorry, I hate to be negative, but I believe they did you a disservice. Especially since it was shifting on old fluid.
I hear you but it was my decision to change the fluid. If anyone is to blame it is me for trusting the internet.

We used the cleaner after the transmission was slipping. As I recall, the transmission guy said it works occasionally. It was worth trying before replacing the trans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I’m responding to the owner that just bought the 2005 Pilot. Hard to tell at this point after reading the last two pages of responses. In addition to the other recommendations, check out the sway bar links (front and rear) and see if they’re broken or the bushings are cracked and replace those if they’re in bad shape. It’s good you changed the water pump when you replaced the belt because it is recommended on every Honda no matter the year or model.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,566 Posts
@Chrischuck73
Welcome to the forum. Sometimes the threads on these forums take an unexpected turn as you’ve noticed. We eventually get back on track. 😁

41 - 60 of 78 Posts