Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all started because of a blown 20a fuse that locked the vehicle in park. After replacing the brake light switch to no effect I looked at the fuses. Bingo! Replaced it, all working fine, but I wondered what may have caused the fuse to blow. All this was done in daylight. It happened again today after driving early am to work, replaced the fuse again to get home. Now this evening I noticed that the drivers rear tail light working so I took it apart, disconnected from harness and put it back together, wiggled some of the wires to no avail. What to try next? There is one small bulb on the far left of the lights that is on. The brake lights and turn signals all work. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, decided to go ahead and replace all the bulbs in the taillight and now it works. Jeez. Hope that was it and it stays fixed. Still, is it common for a bad bulb to blow a fuse also?

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,659 Posts
A bad bulb shouldn’t blow a fuse.

One guy on here several years ago found the issue when he started removing rear panels and noted the insulation had rubbed off on one of the wires going to the tail lights. Perhaps your Pilot also has this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A bad bulb shouldn’t blow a fuse.

One guy on here several years ago found the issue when he started removing rear panels and noted the insulation had rubbed off on one of the wires going to the tail lights. Perhaps your Pilot also has this issue.
Thanks for the reply. It worked this morning, then on the way home I honked my horn a bit to wake up the driver looking at their cell phone at a light, then the horn stopped working, also the radio no longer works. WTF? Now I'm stumped. Replaced the 'STOP" fuse again, and still the radio doesn't work. Are these somehow connected/related?

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,659 Posts
The radio has a separate fuse on my 2005 Pilot.

The horn not working could be due to wire coil in the steering column having a broken wire, horn relay, horn fuse, or bad horn. Voltmeter will be useful for debugging this.

If those three fuses/relays are in the same box then you have a common point.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
There are only 2 kinds of electric problems: a broken circuit or a short cirquit.
It can be broken if it lacks +12V or the ground.
Look thorough the electric diagrams and follow the paths of both. You are going to need a voltmeter and an ohmmeter.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,659 Posts
There is also a fried circuit. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So its happening each time I blow the horn. It blows the STOP fuse, which disables the transmission from getting out of Park and the yellow triangle with ! shows up along with the yellow VSA sign on the dash lights.
Thanks for giving me the next steps to look at, appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You have a short in the horn circuit then. Now to find it...

Reactions: Bob Level

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't find the short but found the next best thing. The drivers side horn had quit at least 6 months ago (I assumed after 14 years it has died) but was still plugged into the horn. I disconnected that horn and the passenger side horn works now, not blowing fuses anymore so at least I can use it and get it inspected (due this month). Now I know which wire is the problem, just not where (don't see anything burned/frayed from what I can tell). Thanks for all the assistance!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts