Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot just recently started to show code, 420 bank one, that my mechanic says means we need to replace one of the 3 catalytics. We were told that there is after market replacement as well as original replacement from Honda. Mechanic recommends that we go with original Honda one.

Any of you had any experience with this issue?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Never had an P0420 on my '04 but I did have a convert on my '04 pilot with a cracked ceramic in the rear of the converter at around 150,000 mi. I drove like that with no codes until about 200,000 i finally replaced it with an aftermarket.

I looked on hondaautomotiveparts.com and looks like a converter is around $450 (after core). The gaskets etc. will make it around $500 ish in parts? An aftermarket is probably half that in costs but it won't be half as good in quality. If the car is in decent shape and a keeper, I'd go OEM on the converters

·
Registered
733 Posts
Because of age, I wouldn't question the diagnosis.
OEM is the easiest to install. After market sometimes have fitment issues, but what bothers me the most is they have a smaller cat than OEM.
I'm sure your mechanic is on top of it, but cat failure can come again quickly if your engine is not tuned well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts