Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2005 3rd brake light

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
The third brake light is not working at all. I believe it's a LED light. Where should I start when trying to fix it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I'm assuming you're referring to the brake light at the top of the liftgate. If all the other brake lights work then I'd start by replacing the bulb. If the other brake lights don't work either I'd start checking fuses.

Good Luck,
Steve

#5 ·
Be careful with those two little red plastic covers on either side covering the screws. I've lost/broken two of them and the replacements cost about a hundred times their cost to manufacture ($6 from the dealer for a part that might cost 6¢ to make). Oh, and the hassle.

#7 ·
Nice, helpful video, thanks! (y)

I'd just add to use a little rag over the pick (or flathead screwdriver) as Honda recommends, to reduce the risk of breaking the little tab, without which the two little triangular red plastic covers won't snap into place anymore and you'll probably lose them while driving. They are annoying and overpriced to replace, as I noted above, so best to avoid the hassle.

The video is helpful because the third brake lamp tends to burn out quite often. Lots of Pilots driving around not realizing (or not caring) they're out.

#8 ·
Nice, helpful video, thanks! (y)

I'd just add to use a little rag over the pick (or flathead screwdriver) as Honda recommends, to reduce the risk of breaking the little tab, without which the two little triangular red plastic covers won't snap into place anymore and you'll probably lose them while driving. They are annoying and overpriced to replace, as I noted above, so best to avoid the hassle.

The video is helpful because the third brake lamp tends to burn out quite often. Lots of Pilots driving around not realizing (or not caring) they're out.
That is a good tip, I'm guilty of doing that in the past on occasion. Also if you have one that fits loose and you're afraid it might fall out, you can use a very small dab of rtv silicone as a holding agent. I use it on a holding point opposite where you would insert the pick. This way you can pry it open as you normally would and pull it apart.

#10 ·
Good tip... if you find that little piece when it falls off.

Once I found it. Once I did not. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.