Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:
So what started as an overly-complicated cabin air filter change turned into a nightmare. Going into this I knew that there was some debris in the blower motor causing it to be unbalanced (and loud), as well as there was probably leaves and the filter was probably way past it's prime. After many swears were uttered just getting to the filter (seriously Honda, WHY?!), I began the process of getting all the debris out (my car needs a vacuum as there are leaves everywhere now), cranking the motor to blow everything out and trying to vacuum what I can out of there. Still getting a noise, after some screwing around I found the culprit, a dead mouse.

Issue:
Blower motor no longer works. I get 12V on the terminals and when plugging it in it spins maybe 2 times and stops, but still getting 12V, what gives? Do I need a blower motor or do I need to check into the resistor?

Phil

·
Registered
5,535 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,946 Posts
After the second or third cabin filter replacement it’s not too bad. I’ve replaced it six times and have it down to a 20 minute job. Definitely could be easier . . . on my Tacoma it takes me longer to pull all the crap out of the glove box and put it back in than it does to replace the filter.

For the blower issue have you tried removing the entire blower assembly to see if there is anything stuck in there and/or to check if the squirrel cage is binding? I haven’t pulled the blower assembly on the Pilot, but on two Toyotas there were three screws and a couple electrical plugs which needed to be disconnected. Helps to have a short shaft screwdriver or ratchet for the screw closest to the firewall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it was the the resistor! Thermal fuse must have been tripped. Even if you get 12V at the blower motor connector, resistor could still be the culprit.

Also, I sawed off the plastic crossmember under the glove box. Pics tomorrow. I would have to remove the entire bottom part of the dash, along with the upper part & console side. I'm not gonna put that much work into it. Now all I have to do is remove the glovebox, kick panel, metal cross member. Easy peasy.

Honda's engineers did not think that through...

Phil

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a mouse, I removed it, but I had the blower on when I was screwing with it, and tripped the thermal fuse in the resistor.

Local parts store is 3 times othe price online, so I'll have to wait until Monday, but hey at least I know it'll fix the issue, it's all cleaned up, the filter replaced AND as an added bonus I might as well install my hardwire kits for my dash cam and GPS, making this endeavour more worth it.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
There's a sticky with pics but Photobucket has yet again reverted to hostage taker mode by blurring the pics they host if you don't pay up.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/easier-diy-cabin-air-filter-replacement.20409/

Fortunately, we have backups:

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/easier-diy-cabin-air-filter-replacement.20409/page-9#post-1409834

But still a PITA that cabin air filter replacement is harder than engine air filter replacement. Hear they redesigned it in subsequent generations, though. Oh well, it's the small price we have to pay for having The Greatest Generation. :)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out. If the plastic piece you had to saw off is the one I’m thinking of that is scary since likely the cabin air filter was the original one which came with the Pilot. That thing must have been nasty looking. I change mine out every 15k mikes after seeing what it looks like at 30k miles the first time I replaced it.

I imagine you measured resistance across the thermal fuse and it was an open circuit.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Yes, my family is doing fine. We live about 20 miles south of the furthest the fires reached. Thank you for asking. Fires got too close to comfort for some of my coworkers. Firefighters made one hell of a stand in their backyards.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's a sticky with pics but Photobucket has yet again reverted to hostage taker mode by blurring the pics they host if you don't pay up.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/easier-diy-cabin-air-filter-replacement.20409/

Fortunately, we have backups:

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/easier-diy-cabin-air-filter-replacement.20409/page-9#post-1409834

But still a PITA that cabin air filter replacement is harder than engine air filter replacement. Hear they redesigned it in subsequent generations, though. Oh well, it's the small price we have to pay for having The Greatest Generation. :)
Yup, that's what I had to do, I was going crazy with that there lol. I made a modification though, I flipped the right side bolt and used a M8x0.8 wing nut on the underside. Now I dont need to remove anything other than the glovebox and the metal crossbar to change the filter.
20191102_132323.jpg 20191102_180842.jpg 20191102_181035.jpg 20191102_181050.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear you got it figured out. If the plastic piece you had to saw off is the one I’m thinking of that is scary since likely the cabin air filter was the original one which came with the Pilot. That thing must have been nasty looking. I change mine out every 15k mikes after seeing what it looks like at 30k miles the first time I replaced it.

I imagine you measured resistance across the thermal fuse and it was an open circuit.
I didn't think about it until after I had already tried the blower swap, why I didn't measure it when I was measuring the blower power voltage I'll never know haha.

I don't believe the filter was original, but it was certainly only changed once, maybe twice in it's lifetime. It was broken in several places, obviously someone did it to install it.

Sorry to hear about the fires, hoping everyone stays safe, including the first responders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts