Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community,
I think I'm wondering this: do we expect and treat wear also by age, not just mileage? I bought this Pilot at 110K and promptly performed the timing belt procedure. Oil and cabin air filter, some freon, a couple of body repairs. Engine and trans blocks are bone dry, clean. Runs and drives nicely. But: R outer axle boot is torn, with grease all over the oil filter. I'm not trying to complicate this but: should the other "joints" (ball joints, control arms, tie rods...)be renewed, also, just due to age? I personally think at 120K they're ok, but are they ok at 16 years of age?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
I drove over 250k with original joints control arms etc. Don't worry about them unless they have serious signs of wear.

When you did the timing belt, that would have been a great time to replace the coolant hoses. Brake fluid is a replaceable item. Ditto Power steering fluid. Whats the date stamp on the tires?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
But do replace the axle before its grease-splashing busted boot makes it worse. The grease was in there for a reason.

For everything else under there that has boots and bushings, rejuvenate the rubber and extend its life by spritzing on some AT-205 Reseal polymer.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you're going to DIY, I would re-do the whole front suspension and rear shocks, as well as the axles on both sides. Get it over with and have a car that rides like new for another 100k miles.

If you're paying someone else, I'm with Rocky - fix it as it breaks.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
Hello community,
I think I'm wondering this: do we expect and treat wear also by age, not just mileage? I bought this Pilot at 110K and promptly performed the timing belt procedure. Oil and cabin air filter, some freon, a couple of body repairs. Engine and trans blocks are bone dry, clean. Runs and drives nicely. But: R outer axle boot is torn, with grease all over the oil filter. I'm not trying to complicate this but: should the other "joints" (ball joints, control arms, tie rods...)be renewed, also, just due to age? I personally think at 120K they're ok, but are they ok at 16 years of age?
Depends on where you live, weather conditions, salt belt states, etc. But, in general, the original Honda parts would generally go about 200,000 miles. I would check all the front end parts for wear. Like most others, repair or replace parts as needed. New parts always gives peace of mind, though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
coil boots x 6 to prevent misfires (rockauto or napa - make sure it includes the spring inside), check radiator and a/c condenser for leaks, alternator (rockauto.com), spark plugs, shocks x4, and throw some liqui moly ceratec on your next oil change; full size steel rim (dorman) and full size spare tire (your spare tire is probably dry rotted by now)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts