Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2004 Stereo Upgrade

144 6
We are looking into buying a 2023 Pilot when they come out and have our son use our 2004 Pilot. We have the original stereo/sound system. Is there a way to upgrade it to it so it is similar to the newer cars so his Iphone connects to the stereo?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where did you purchase the unit? How do we know which Pioneer unit fits in the car?
Most double din head units will fit. However, it’s is not just plug and play. It requires you to get the correct wiring harness adapter and then either solder or use crimp connectors to assemble the radio harness to the aparter for your car. You then also have to wire in and program the steering wheel module/backup camera.

I would suggest getting it professionally installed if you are not familiar with how they are wired.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,076 Posts
Check out Crutchfield. They supply the adapter harnesses, mounting hardware, and vehicle specific instructions with purchase.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,481 Posts
Crutchfield is a good mail order, but honstly, if you have never done that kind of thing before, and don't know anyone who has, find a shop with experience. You'll kick yourself if you damage the dash with pry marks.
You likely would do well to replace the old speakers as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use Crutchfield all the time but honestly this go around I went with Best Buy as it was all the same price and they also do free installs (I felt lazy). Check it out (I used to work for Circuit City in the auto department when that was a thing), the installers didn't do a bad job at all. I went with the Pioneer dmh-w4660nex model. Had it for a couple years now along with the steering wheel controls (also installed for free) and its been great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts