Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot thats leaking power steering fluid from the metal return tube. I have purchased a replacement, however when attempting to take the old one off, the bolt broke and im hesitant to continue trying to cut off the old clamp, without damaging the rubber hose (which i think goes to the rack?). I was going to buy a new hose as well. I cannot find information on how to replace that return hose... (if needed). Any info/advice?

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Lower hoses feed the power steering cooler and then return to the reservoir.
RockAuto has these lines and hoses.
2004 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Steering Parts | RockAuto
The lower rubber hose is accessible through the wheel well. I just use regular hose clamps to replace the poor designed ones.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lower hoses feed the power steering cooler and then return to the reservoir.
RockAuto has these lines and hoses.
2004 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Steering Parts | RockAuto
The lower rubber hose is accessible through the wheel well. I just use regular hose clamps to replace the poor designed ones.

I bought the return tube through rockauto. the hose goes from that tube back towards the dashboard and behind everything else...
i cant see where to and cannot find anywhere that explains it.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I bought the return tube through rockauto. the hose goes from that tube back towards the dashboard and behind everything else...
Yes, that lower line going around the back is on the return side from the PS rack.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot thats leaking power steering fluid from the metal return tube. I have purchased a replacement, however when attempting to take the old one off, the bolt broke and im hesitant to continue trying to cut off the old clamp, without damaging the rubber hose (which i think goes to the rack?). I was going to buy a new hose as well. I cannot find information on how to replace that return hose...
I replaced my leaky rusty metal PS line on my '04 recently. Generally if the rubber line is not cracked or leaking it could be left alone. Those OEM metal 2-wire hose clamps work nice when new but when rusty they will be a PIA to remove. Get a pair of pliers and start twisting to snap the rusty metal wires off. On the other end of the metal line is another clamp that must be removed before the old metal line can be removed. The metal line has bends and angles to form fit the frame/engine and needs maneuvering to get out and back in. Amazingly the OEM metal line was an affordable part for $26. IMO the PS fluid is easily neglected and may have contributed to the metal line rusting out from within as well as from the outside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced my leaky rusty metal PS line on my '04 recently. Generally if the rubber line is not cracked or leaking it could be left alone. Those OEM metal 2-wire hose clamps work nice when new but when rusty they will be a PIA to remove. Get a pair of pliers and start twisting to snap the rusty metal wires off. On the other end of the metal line is another clamp that must be removed before the old metal line can be removed. The metal line has bends and angles to form fit the frame/engine and needs maneuvering to get out and back in. Amazingly the OEM metal line was an affordable part for $26. IMO the PS fluid is easily neglected and may have contributed to the metal line rusting out from within as well as from the outside.

thank you, yes i am aware. i only just purchased this recently. i know i will be able to take the part off, but im trying to find out if id be able to replace the hose myself, in case it does get ruined.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you, yes i am aware. i only just purchased this recently. i know i will be able to take the part off, but im trying to find out if id be able to replace the hose myself, in case it does get ruined.
i was planning to bleed & refill the ps fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually you have no choice but to bleed and replace PS fluid. OEM PS is recommended.
yes i have a bunch of fluid ready. just want to make sure i am able to replace to hose, bc i dont want to start if i cant fully finish... id like to find out beforehand how to replace the hose if need be.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Based on the parts blowup for your year Pilot, it looks like #29 (red arrow) is the hose you're talking about. One end is connected to the cooler pipe and the other to #19 which is called a Pipe B. Return. So replacing the hose should not be difficult if you have to, since you will be working near the front of the car, a short distance from the cooler, not back by the rack where there's little room and difficult access (which is what I think you're concerned about). You might want to take a peek in that area to see if you can find it and get to the clamp (the other #21) easily and remove it if it's as rusted as the other #21 in your picture. Only the 4WD version came up on that site so the double line cooler will look different than your single line pipe if yours is a FWD.

P.S. Lines (4WD) for 2004 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR | Honda Parts Online

EDIT - the only FWD blowup I found was for a 2011 but it looks like a very similar arrangement of pipes and hoses but using the single line cooler pipe connected to the return hose on the driver's side.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I carefully broke off the rusty wire clamp and did not replace that rubber PS hose going towards the rack. However I did replace the rubber hose on the other end of the metal line going towards the front with a section of rubber PS hose from an auto parts store. I used some wrap to protect the rubber hose from abrasion.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
(y) Two axioms, from different eras, spring to mind:

Audentes fortuna juvat

With a Little Help From My Friends

1 - 14 of 14 Posts