Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am wondering has any insight into how to replace the Positive battery cable please. It is corroded. A new one will arrive today. I ordered number 6 in the picture. The friend who was going to install it for me now can't get to it for at least 3 weeks. I'm wondering what all would need to come out, how difficult of a job it is and what tools will I need please. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'm guessing you shouldn't need any other tools than a ratcheting socket set and a screwdriver set for this job. The first thing I would do is trace where the battery cable runs to. I'm pretty sure the connection with the rubber boot goes to the starter. You should be able to access that without removing anything. I believe the other connections will go to the underside of the fuse/relay boxes in the engine compartment. For those you will likely need to remove the fuse/relay boxes to access those connection points.

Once you have determined you can access all the connection/clip points and decided this job is within your abilities:
1) Take photos (unless you have a really good memory) of how the positive battery cable routes.
2) Disconnect the negative cable from the battery post.
3) Disconnect the positive battery cable from the battery post.
4) Disconnect all the other connections/clips from the positive battery cable. Remove fuse/relax boxes if needed. Be careful since there is probably a rats' nest of wiring there.
5) Route the new cable and connect it to all points except the positive battery post. Make sure the connection points are not corroded. Clean those contact points if necessary. Make sure all connections points are securely screwed/bolted down. Double check. Reinstall fuse/relay boxes if needed.
6) Connect the positive battery cable to the positive battery post. Tighten appropriately. Double check.
7) Connect the negative battery cable to the negative battery post. Tighten appropriately. Double check.
8) Visually inspect that the cable routing matches the photos you took.
9) Verify all tools are removed from the engine compartment.
10) Turn key one click at a time to verify the electrical systems which you expect to come up do.
11) Start vehicle and if all seems okay take it for a test drive.

Good Luck,
Steve

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If you haven't tried this yet I was under the hood this morning checking some work I did a few weeks ago and looked to see how difficult this job would be. The battery cable routing is completely accessible. Only the fuse panel covers need to be removed to access the screw terminal location for the battery cable.

~ Steve

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey guys!

- short version: to change battery cable should I look for a generic option for $8 at Autozone, or get entire assembly from Honda for $130?
-

Got my 2009 Pilot two years ago with 93k miles. Now she has 130,000, running great, just got home from a ~1,000 mile road trip to San Francisco and back, with all 8 seats full.

The battery has been running down though over the past few months. I've put a tender on it a few times, don't usually drive far and have another car, so I've just been seeing if I can charge it and make it last until I need to replace it.

Yesterday I got to work and the battery wouldn't start when I was ready to go to lunch, even though I'd charged it overnight. So I got a jump and on the way home I stopped for a new battery.

When I went to take the battery in, the corrosion on it wasn't just some residue to clean off, but the entire clamp was completely gone! I pulled on the cable and it just came off without even loosening the nut! I feel lucky I made it on my road trip without any battery problems! I managed to get it wired onto the new battery terminal and got home, but obviously can't leave it like that for long.

So I need to replace the cable. The negative looks fine, the positive one is nearly gone, might replace both. Looked online and a Honda part is $130 or something, at Autozone a generic cable is $8.

Obviously I like the $$ of 8 better than 130 but I haven't gotten an up close look yet. Any input on using a generic replacement? Is there a spot to unbolt it, or am I gonna have to cut some cable somewhere?

Any advice thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I believe that Honda cable connects to two fuse boxes, the starter, and the alternator. It covers all the connections from battery positive terminal. I’m guessing the generic one doesn’t.
Not sure where you looked online but check out
Hondaautomotiveparts.com
They sell at roughly 40% under list price and shipping is very reasonable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just cut off the old clamp and put a new one one, was no big deal and not a cable needing replacement.

We have a 2017 Accord that drained the battery dead, replaced under warranty but I noticed the same corrosion on the positive terminal happening, not as bad but seemed odd to have so much corrosion on a new car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts