Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the discussions about the rattle in the rear of the car :mad: and having a bad experience with a volvo in its first production year out my wife and I are decideding to wait until the 2004 pilot comes out. :(

Anyway, here is the question that i'm sure a few people would like answered: do we know when the 2004 pilot is coming out? Since the 2003 debuted in the summer of '03 is there a possibility of the '04 coming out in the summer? Were also looking at the MDX Premium w/ an aftermarket nav (the alpine or kenwood).

I love this sight and it has made purchasing the pilot of very easy car to research. Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm with you on first model year problems, although the Pilot seems relatively trouble-free thus far. But Honda has had a lot of tranny problems with its vehicle as of late. I bought an 00 Odyssey (second model year) and they had to put a new tranny in at 300 miles and just extended my tranny warranty to 7/700. They've put a modified or new tranny in the '04 MDX to avoid further problems, so I'm hoping the '04 Pilot gets that tranny. Also hoping the '04 model gets the Vehicle Stability Control they put on the '04 MDX and the new Navi that's in the Accord and MDX. Larger screen, voice commands, supposed to be far superior to the current navi.

Those three items--tranny, VSC and new navi--make it worth waiting for the '04, but I have no idea if Honda will put them in. If not, I don't know that I will buy a Pilot. So far, my 1990 Jeep Cherokee has had fewer problems that my 00 Odyssey and I'm not eager to replicate the experience. Honda fixed the Ody problems but only in the third model year, one year too late for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hard to second guess these issues.

We have a 99 Odyssey which does not have (for the most part, i.e. no official recall/warranty extension) the tranny problem, and it continues to be the workhorse vehicle in our family. The tranny problem developed in the 00 to 01 years. The first year trannies were more reliable than the second and third years!?

Our new Pilot is also a good vehicle and I expect at least as good reliability from it as the Ody.

Yes, for both vehicles we bought first year Hondas. I am concerned about the tranny issue but not losing sleep over it. I expect Honda to make good on their reputation if and when it comes to that. In the mean time, I cannot get the wife out of "Her" Pilot, but very glad that she enjoys my vehicle recommendation.

EGP Pilot, #15505 (4800 miles)
MB 99 Ody (57k miles)

·
Registered
276 Posts
jswift2000 said:
Anyway, here is the question that i'm sure a few people would like answered: do we know when the 2004 pilot is coming out? Since the 2003 debuted in the summer of '03 is there a possibility of the '04 coming out in the summer?
Automakers now are generally revving up production of new model year cars in the summer....probably July. So it just depends on where the first '04 models roll out to.....they could be here as early as late July/early August.

When I ordered my GP in 1998, they started the rollover in early July, but because of the UAW strike against GM at that time, I didn't receive my car until October! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2004 or MDX

My wife and I made a very difficult decision this weekend - we cancelled our order for our RRP EXL-NAV Pilot and opted for the 2004 model - too many problems (vibration, rattle, h20 pump, etc). We may be going with an MDX Touring w/nav if we have the money. If we cant swing it will be a 2004 Honda Pilot w/nav (hopefully voice activated nav and sunroof).

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: 2004 or MDX

jswift2000 said:
My wife and I made a very difficult decision this weekend - we cancelled our order for our RRP EXL-NAV Pilot and opted for the 2004 model - too many problems (vibration, rattle, h20 pump, etc). We may be going with an MDX Touring w/nav if we have the money. If we cant swing it will be a 2004 Honda Pilot w/nav (hopefully voice activated nav and sunroof).
It'd be no question for me. If I had been comfortable with taking on the MDX payments, I would've chosen that for sure. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pilot, but that's just me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
jswift, thanks for letting us know your decision.

One thing to note however is that things discussed on message boards can sometimes lead to decisions which are not correct.

I have been using the internet since 1997 and there were several times when I was either misinformed or just made a complete mistake due to the information I saw online. I am not talking about cars here, but have made decisions on some of my hobbies(tropical fish as an example), or my health, based on internet message boards which were wrong.

Now, in regards to this board - you probably wont find a better and more informed bunch of people. However, when you read all the message threads etc regarding a problem such as the window scrunch, it may seem like the car was a total design disaster. This of course is not true. There may be some simple mechanical fixes for some of these problems.

I have yet to hear about a glut of engine failures for this car, or any other drastic problems. Think about what a Ford Focus message board would be like.

Yes, it makes me mad when there is a problem with a new car. I have the famous window scrunch, but I have not even taken it in yet to see if they can fix it. Just waiting on the first oil change visit.

When I bought my new 1989 Ford Ranger, the air cond. compressor died after three months. The drive shaft fell apart at 80k. The muffler fell off at 90k. The truck has more oil and liquid leaks than I can count(I have a supply of cardboard pieces that I keep putting underneath it). The engine mounts all had to be replaced. The radiator was replaced last month. Anyway, the list goes on and on....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont get me wrong...

We still love the pilot and if we cant afford the MDX we are buying the pilot - hands down. However, my wife and I have already been through a first production year problem with a volvo and with a new baby here we dont/cant deal with an issue like that again. B/t my wife, myself and her father this will be our 7th or 8th honda purchase (Acura or Honda).

I take everything I read with a grain of salt. However, there have been too many people with the same problenm. We werent scheduled to receive our pilot until april of 2003 and we figured whats a few more months.

This boars has been great and informative. Were also hoping that waiting will curtail the supply and demand scenario that were seeing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Same here...

I'm also thinking of waiting until 2004. My wife wanted me to purchase it right when it came out.

But you never know about the second year of production. We have a 97 CRV, which we bought new in January '98 (98's weren't out until March 98). We've had no problems during the 86,000 miles. But the 98's had a few problems.

Honda usually doesn't make changes in the second year, but I hope they
address some of the issues posted here. (Hopefully they have already addressed a few).

If the Highlander was larger, we'd probably already have one....very nice vehicle, but boring on the outside (like the Pilot).

·
Registered
113 Posts
No harm in waiting - '04's will be here before you know it. However, I think the '03 problems are extremely overblown in this web site! I purchased my Pilot just over three months ago, and I had similar concerns. However, I don't have any of the problems mentioned here - no scrunch, bumps, bangs, vibrations or clicks - just a smooth, quiet, fun SUV that's great in the snow!

There are a couple of things I would hope Honda might improve, such as the windshield washer locations (they dribble fluid on the hood and leave water spots). I would also like to see the buttons on the steering wheel and the garage door openers lighted.

If you want it now, I would'nt let this web site scare you. If you don't mind waiting, you will benefit from any changes on the '04 and you might get a better deal as the supply improves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
PERFECTION

I, too, have purchased a Pilot and have had flawless performance over 2200 miles and two months. No rattles, clunks, sloshes, scrunches, etc. I don't have one defect that needs to be examined when I take the vehicle in for its oil change.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we didnt cacel the order b/c of this website - we had a very bad experience w/ a first model year car and it left a very sour taste in our mouths (car was at the dealer 9x's for repaits/recalls in about two years). We went through it once and dont want to go through it again. We're also waiting to see if the MDX is affordable. Tough choice but once you go through a bad car experience once you'll never want to go through it again. We werent slated to rec our pilot until april and at that point what two or three more months of waiting for the 2004. We also may receive a break on price. I've already been quoted for $1,000 below msrp and this will only continue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with others stating that many of the problems discussed on this board are overblown, isolated and exaggerated.

I have had my NBP EX-L NAV since Sept. 2002 and currently have about 4200 miles on it.

NOT ONE PROBLEM..............

I had other choices ( as did everyone here ) and after research and test drives, COULD NOT find another vehicle that could match the PILOT in quality or value.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also agree

Our Pilot, now with 2100miles is flawless. Now I do hope Honda address some things like the ones mentioned here. I will add to them, memory seats (boy do we need that), sunroof (my first car w/o a sunroof :() and I want the navi thats on the 2003 Accord. If it wasn't because in Oklahoma my tags for the Pilot was about $1200.00 :mad: I would trade mine in for 2004 if these changes were made. But 2005 is not too far off..hehehe

·
Registered
41 Posts
It would be interesing to...

Start a thread where owners without problems only post comments to that effect. I've read about the scrunch, gas slosh, vibration @ 20mph etc... Sometimes I lose perspective and think those posts represent a larger percentage of owners than what there probably really is.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Let's see, there's only about 300 vins in the table. How many members on this board?

Thousands of Pilots produced and on the road. We are a very small, yet vocal minority.

This board is packed with great information, but remember to keep it in perspective.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 6000 miles, the only problem I have had is the window scrunch and for some weird reason my driver side floor mat did not get a hole punched in it to hook into the floor board. I think for a SUV this is a very solid vehicle, rode in my friends Trailblazer (not to flame it but I much preferred the Pilot) IMO.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Definitely wait if you can

I would definitely wait if I were you. There are a number of areas that could be improved in the 2004 Pilot and we are already 6 months in.

- larger tires
- non wrinkly seat leather
- better exterior colors
- better radio reception
- washer nozzles that don't dribble
- moonroof?
- better suspension without the dreaded rattle (I know most don't have it or hear it)
- side curtains?
- better fitting doors so window seals don't scrunch
- next generation transmission? (like the MDX)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts