Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in a new to me transmission with 50K miles on it and when I started it for the moment of truth I was only able to use Reverse, and in Drive it only used First and Second gears. I drove it to Honda to get it checked out to see if any sensors or anything needed replaced and they said it was the Transmission Position Sensor, or that is the first place to start. I had one from the old transmission and it shifted fine before I replaced the transmission, the clutch plates just slipped before. I replaced it with the used part and it shifted better, (maybe less stiff) but it still didn't go past 2nd gear. I was told to order a new part, so that is what I am doing tonight. Has anyone had this issue? I feel like I'm just throwing money at it now and would love some input. I'll put the brand new part in tonight and respond back to let you all know.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
Have you changed the fluid since it was rebuilt or replaced? Where did you have this work done and is there some sort of warranty?
It couldn’t hurt to replace the gear pressure switches (I think that’s what they are). People replace those and their problems go away. So do a few drain and fills to see if the fluid is in good condition. Because if it isn’t that means there’s internal damage possibly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For an update...I tried the new transmission position sensor and it didn't work either. Does anyone know if the little nob that the Transmission Position Sensor fits over should be able to turn, could that have turned when the transmission was being worked on to a position that didn't work?

Jack Vogt,
fluid is all new, I'm confident that is not the problem. No warranty, my mechanic neighbor did the work. I didn't think of the gear pressure switches. I'll do some research on that and see what I can find.

Are you saying to do a few drain and fills knowing that the fluid is good just to see if I find metal shavings or something like that?

Thanks for your input!!

James

Have you changed the fluid since it was rebuilt or replaced? Where did you have this work done and is there some sort of warranty?
It couldn’t hurt to replace the gear pressure switches (I think that’s what they are). People replace those and their problems go away. So do a few drain and fills to see if the fluid is in good condition. Because if it isn’t that means there’s internal damage possibly.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Are you saying to do a few drain and fills knowing that the fluid is good just to see if I find metal shavings or something like that?
The multi-flush procedure is to cycle most of the old ATF out of the trans as well as suspended contaminants.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
For an update...I tried the new transmission position sensor and it didn't work either. Does anyone know if the little nob that the Transmission Position Sensor fits over should be able to turn, could that have turned when the transmission was being worked on to a position that didn't work?

Jack Vogt,
fluid is all new, I'm confident that is not the problem. No warranty, my mechanic neighbor did the work. I didn't think of the gear pressure switches. I'll do some research on that and see what I can find.

Thanks for your input!!

James
Draining the fluid will help you put pieces of the puzzle together. Fluid condition of course can tell you a lot about the condition of the transmission.

Is the transmission slipping or is it just not shifting into 3rd? Almost like it’s in limp mode? I would check all of your electrical connections and grounds as well for the transmission.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree with Jack, check the connections.
Just to make make sure - nobody opened the new (used) transmission before it was installed, correct?
What year model pilot did the new transmission come out of?
Are the shift indicator lights showing the correct position relative to the shifter position?
When in Drive, is the D light solid or flashing when it will not shift into 3rd?
No check engine light, correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll check the connections over tonight
The transmission was not opened before it was installed so the drain and fill would be a good tell if there is a problem there.
it would have come from a 2004 I believe.
The shift indicator lights are not always showing up correct. So when I put it in reverse and back up right after the Park Neutral Safety Switch was installed (again) it acted fine, and then to Drive it acted fine. when it does not make it into 3rd the D indicator light begins to flash (what does that mean other than it isn't working)
Check engine light is on I think.

I agree with Jack, check the connections.
Just to make make sure - nobody opened the new (used) transmission before it was installed, correct?
What year model pilot did the new transmission come out of?
Are the shift indicator lights showing the correct position relative to the shifter position?
When in Drive, is the D light solid or flashing when it will not shift into 3rd?
No check engine light, correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not slipping at all, it is just not going past 2nd gear. it actually shifts much smoother into second than it did with the old transmission. I just need to find the other gears or the car might as well be used as a mail delivery vehicle.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Have you read the codes with a Honda specific scan tool? The flashing D indicates a tranny related fault.
As others have mentioned check all electrical connections at the tranny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it to Honda the other day and their scanner said to replace the Transmission Position Sensor or the Park Neutral Safety Switch. (which I did last evening) unfortunately it didn't fix it. My question is the little nob that the Transmission Position Sensor fits over can turn to other positions. Could it have gotten turned during transmission installation which would still tell the computer that something is wrong with that part? Any ideas on this would be great? Could I hurt my transmission if I just started putting that nob to different positions to see if another one worked? I'm planning on doing a drain and fill tonight to see what comes out. I'll also be going over all of the electrical connections to make sure they are all plugged in.

Have you read the codes with a Honda specific scan tool? The flashing D indicates a tranny related fault.
As others have mentioned check all electrical connections at the tranny.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can't comment about the transmission position/range sensor, but a few other questions to think about...

Are you positive the replacement worked before you installed it?

Can you manually shift through all the gears when stopped? Or is the problem only noticed under power/load while moving?

Is the ATF level low or too high? Either could affect shifting, and would cause more difficulty when using/shifting to higher gears.

Also - it kinda sounds like your Pilot has gone into Limp Mode, especially if the CEL is also lit. If the CEL is on you should be able to pull a different set of trouble codes. I mention this because the shifting problems might not even be an issue with the transmission, there are several engine problems that can trigger the car to go into limp mode and only give you low gears...

·
Registered
312 Posts
The flashing D indicates there are trouble codes.
If you pull the shift position sensor off you can turn the shaft coming out of the transmission. You need to make sure that the transmission and the shift sensor are in sync. The sensor is adjustable. You need to have the transmission shaft in neutral and the shift sensor in neutral. If you did not do that, I would go back and make sure that they are in sync. Here is the page from the manual. You can verify the position of the transmission by shifting it manually. When putting a transmission back together I usually put it in park and then count the clicks back to neutral. You could put it in neutral before you take it back apart and then count the clicks to verify it is in neutral.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car just had it's transmission changed that is the main thing and I'm sure I'm missing something small, but it does not seem to be limp mode because that generally limits the RPM (doesn't it) I don't seem to be limited on that spectrum, just limited to the first two gears. What is the CEL light is that the yellow triangle warning light? I don't think that one is on, but I'll check that as well.

The replacement was tested and worked before being installed.

I can shift through all of the gears on the shift lever fine, but it's not a manual transmission so when in Drive it only sees first gear until you start moving.

I'll check fluid and sensors today when I get home.

I can't comment about the transmission position/range sensor, but a few other questions to think about...

Are you positive the replacement worked before you installed it?

Can you manually shift through all the gears when stopped? Or is the problem only noticed under power/load while moving?

Is the ATF level low or too high? Either could affect shifting, and would cause more difficulty when using/shifting to higher gears.

Also - it kinda sounds like your Pilot has gone into Limp Mode, especially if the CEL is also lit. If the CEL is on you should be able to pull a different set of trouble codes. I mention this because the shifting problems might not even be an issue with the transmission, there are several engine problems that can trigger the car to go into limp mode and only give you low gears...

·
Registered
342 Posts
The CEL is the check engine - and looks like yellow engine. The triangle is most likely the VSA (*stability) or tire pressure (but I don't think a 2004 has a TPMS system).

I would follow the info and guidance that huntertn posted, I was thinking something similar but didn't have the diagrams or first-hand problems. Based on the schematics he posted, the sensor shouldn't turn in the plate - you may need to use the range sensor switch cover from your old tranny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome info huntertn, I'll check that out this evening as well. Does anyone know if I need to have the computer reprogramed or "FLASHED" the Honda shop just did a diagnostic test and told me it was probably the Transmission Position Sensor and to start there other than that they didn't do anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update... I just called one of the Import Transmission shops in my area and he said it sounds like the 3/4 clutch is out. He didn't see any other possibilities for it, he thinks I got a bad transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE!!!! I just talked to a mechanic from my church and he said I was asking the wrong question on here. So the replacement transmission I purchased was a JDM transmission that said it was for a 2003-2005 AWD Honda Pilot. From his research yesterday he found that the Pilot isn't in Japan just USA, so that transmission came out of another Honda of some sort. Everything bolts up fine, all of the sensors plug in to the right places it just does not work other than 1st and 2nd gear. When installing the transmission here are the strange things we noticed that I probably should have brought up on here, but I simply haven't done a transmission before so I wasn't sure. The torque converter bolts from the replacement clutch were different spacing from the engine. I purchased a new torque converter anyways so this wasn't an issue. the crankcase where it bolts to the driveshaft the holes were of different spacing, so I had to use my original crankcase. On the top of the transmission there was an intercooler installed which I removed and just put on the brackets and plugs and wiring that was on my old transmission. So... in essence I believe I did everything right, except maybe ask if anyone knew if the JDM transmission would be compatible with the USA Honda Pilot. So... a little after the fact, and sorry for the short novel above, but does it sound like the transmission that I put in, despite the fact that all of the fittings and spacing for the rest of the transmission were fine simply is incompatible? Is that possible?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would suggest that you find the serial number on your JDM transmission. Then you can determine just what kind of an animal you have. Try looking online for Honda transmission model codes. Have you talked with the transmission supplier about compatibility issues? You need to find a transmission professional who can help you figure this out.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,255 Posts
And as you know, the Pilot is neither made nor sold in Japan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where do I go about finding the serial number on the transmission, there are two numbers stamped into the block on the bottom of the transmission. Where would I look it up to see what it came out of and see if it would be compatible? I contacted the seller and let them know today and I'm waiting to hear back. I feel duped.

serial number on your JDM transmission. Then you can determine just what kind of an animal you have. Try looking online for Honda transmission model codes. Have you talked with the transmission supplier about compatibility issues? You need to find a transmission professional who can help you figure this out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts