Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The market is narrow for used transmissions for this type of Honda I found a trans the seller said was an 04 turns out it was an 05 vin numbers confirm.

I took it upon myself to swap part of the trans harness to make the connectors work. 2 of the top of trans solenoids are part of main harness not on the trans harness.
The fluid was nasty have changed fluid for the third time.
After test run got a rough shift 1 into 2 and a late shift into lock up. code PO740 appeared on my tester cleaned shift solenoid seemed to help code did not reset. after a short week of back n forth to work place less than 100 miles 10 to 15 minutes after starting the trans would not pull itself. after sitting overnight on cold restart the truck had to be reved up to go anywhere in reverse. but would go as soon as i shifted it into drive. fluid is full but has a weird burnt smell. i will read any and all comments or ideas for a solution for this problem.

Obviously since i have replaced this trans myself for my child there is a dollars and cents concept in play.

·
Registered
613 Posts
In the time I've been using this forum (which included replacing a transmission on my '03), there have been several consistent observations about this unit:

1. When you begin to lose reverse, it's bad. (I had the same experience you described.)
2. When fresh ATF smells burned on low mileage, it's bad.
3. When it works cold, but fails hot, it's bad.
4. When the solenoid screens foul quickly, it's bad. (Search for the recent thread by @andywatson)

I think it's most likely that the transmission you bought was already gone. I would not spend good money after bad trying to fix this one. If you've got any recourse with the seller, you've got a pretty solid case to stand on.

Sorry to be negative, but I don't think the tried-and-true MaxLife drain&fill is going to resurrect this one.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
No one likes to be the bearer of bad news, but if it prevents you from throwing good money after bad, as @Tacoma'03Pilot says, then please consider you are in fact being done a favor.

Pursue any recourse you may have against the seller, and if you do it over, get an '05 transmission this time, even if it's harder to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info & news although I did get an 05 trans by Vin tag. Seems I got a turd. I did however not only get a PO740 code but this time I got PO730 to make matters even more interesting. I'm having an awesome time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.