Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start my 04 pilot last night and took a few turns with no response before the engine would turn over. After an pulled it off the street into my driveway I noticed the starter motor was still spinning after removing the key and locking the door. The engine wasn’t turning over just the starter. Yanked the position terminal but very confused to what the issue is. I do have a broken ground wire but could that make the starter stay on but not engage the flywheel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to start my 04 pilot last night and took a few turns with no response before the engine would turn over. After an pulled it off the street into my driveway I noticed the starter motor was still spinning after removing the key and locking the door. The engine wasn’t turning over just the starter. Yanked the posit ion terminal but very confused to what the issue is. I do have a broken ground wire but could that make the starter stay on but not engage the flywheel?
I meant to say positive terminal because it was able to wiggle off.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Reconnect a new ground wire and see if that does it. These at Walmart are fine, easily obtainable and won't break the bank.

If that doesn't do it, it's probably time to swap out the starter. They do go bad on occasion.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
733 Posts
Reconnect a new ground wire and see if that does it. These at Walmart are fine, easily obtainable and won't break the bank.
View attachment 148902

If that doesn't do it, it's probably time to swap out the starter. They do go bad on occasion.
I could definitely use a new Ground- Those look Beautiful 😛

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 148902

Well I replaced the ground wires and the starter and it still has the problem. The starter doesn’t engage the flywheel and stays running after I remove the key. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
The starter doesn’t engage the flywheel and stays running after I remove the key. Any ideas?
1. Is it possible the starter isn't aligned correctly or has been moved out of position?
2. Starter cut relay? You can test it according to the procedure below, or just swap in a known good one of equal value. Kind of hard to get at, though, because it's located behind the inside driver's fuse box.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well I replaced the ground wires and the starter and it still has the problem. The starter doesn’t engage the flywheel and stays running after I remove the key. Any ideas?
Did you install a new starter? Or just reinstall the old one? Shorted contacts in the starter solenoid assembly (attached to the starter motor) could be your problem, but if you replaced the starter, then obviously not.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
Another possibility is if you have an aftermarket alarm system one of the wires which gets spliced is for the starter. Check the wiring under the steering wheel and near the emergency brake pedal for any anomalies. But likely if there is an issue with this connection, the starter would not even spin so this is probably not the cause. Just throwing it out there anyways.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you install a new starter? Or just reinstall the old one? Shorted contacts in the starter solenoid assembly (attached to the starter motor) could be your problem, but if you replaced the starter, then obviously not.
Yea new starter too. I am stumped

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
With new solenoid? Just checking.to be sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts