Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a strange noise from my fan under the dash on the passenger side. When the fan is on and when I brake, there is a sound like maybe the fan is rubbing on something because of the force of the car braking. It almost sounds like the fan maybe tilts a little and rubs on something and makes a squealing noise. The harder I brake, the louder the sound. When the fan is NOT ON, this sound is NOT heard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, when the car is braking, it sounds like water sloshing around below the floor. I'm assuming I've got 2 different things making noise. Also have the Blend door actuator making noise as well. I tried to remove it, but wasn't sure how to unhook the metal rod. It looks like it was pressed in, and I didn't want to go forcing it out and breaking something. Is there a trick to removing this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The squeak might be the blower motor. You can try to remove it and clean/lubricate it (do NOT use WD40 but some silicone spray), or you can just buy a new unit for about $120 online. There are a few DIY writeups on how to get at that blower unit.

(edited) Here is a nice Youtube clip of how to get at the blower...for the cabin air filter change, but you can see the blower to the right of the air filter when he's installing the new filter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWUy2w5_BEY

As for the sloshing, could it just be the fuel in the tank?

No idea how to help with the blend door actuator. Sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sloshing sound I hear sounds like it's coming just under the floorboard on the passenger side. I can't imagine what could be making this noise. I had my wife drive the Pilot last night while I had my head down low to the floor to listen to the fan squeal when I heard this sloshing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The sloshing sound I hear sounds like it's coming just under the floorboard on the passenger side. I can't imagine what could be making this noise. I had my wife drive the Pilot last night while I had my head down low to the floor to listen to the fan squeal when I heard this sloshing.
I think that is where you would hear the sloshing noise. The fuel tank is located under the floor forward of the rear axle, with the deep half on the driver side, and the shallow half on the passenger side. If your fuel is sloshing around, you'd hear it most likely from the shallow end on the passenger side.

The fuel tank is to the left and above the muffler in the picture below...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Pull up the carpet and check for wetness, rain water probably got in the passeger foot well. Read this http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/16859-2006-pilot-wet-passenger-footwell-7.html for potential fix or search the forum for more suggestions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water under carpet

O...M...G... I pulled up the carpet on the passenger side, and found water. That explains the sloshing sound when I was hitting the brakes while trying to listen to the fan making noise. Can't believe it, but it appears I have 3 separate issues going on. The blend door actuator motor making noise, the fan making noise while braking and now the water leak. I also pulled up the drivers side carpet and it was a little wet, but nothing like the passenger side. This is my wife's vehicle and she has been telling me she thought her Pilot has smelled musty for years. I have read the thread on water leaking in through the right side fender well, so I will look at sealing that. Hopes that takes care of the water issue. Now, I have to fix the other two things. Thanks for telling me to check for water, I would have never thought of that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, now knowing about that leak I might wan't to check my pilot too. I also have the sloshing sound but I have always assumed it was the gas in the tank.

I know that the HVAC system in my pilot also has a very loud hum when you have it turned all the way up, but that is just vibration from fans behind the glove box bringing the air into the cabin air filter box. Its probably a loose bolt that I have been to lazy to tighten.

·
Registered
39 Posts
WOW, I never thought of the water leak thing...glad you checked that. Definitely get it dried out properly. Audi has a similar issue, but either from a clogged drain under the battery, which lets water collect and pour into the cabin via the cabin air filter, clogged a/c evap drain, or poor installation of the windshield cowling. Either way, in the Audi there are so many control units under the carpet, so water is bad in there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm pretty sure the sound I was hearing was the water sloshing in a plastic air vent that runs under the carpet. I believe it blows air to the second row seats from the floor. It sounded like the water was inside this plastic vent. As far as the fan, I replaced the fan under the glove box and I'm still getting the squealing noise when I brake. Now that I have the console sides off as well as a bunch of other things, the sound appears to be coming from the fan that's mounted on the side of the console on the drivers side. When I'm going downhill the fan makes a similar noise as when I'm braking. I'll take a look at that this evening. I also need to do the fix to the inner fender well where the plastic piece allows water by. What a poor design by Honda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
noisey fan

I'm getting a strange noise from my fan under the dash on the passenger side. When the fan is on and when I brake, there is a sound like maybe the fan is rubbing on something because of the force of the car braking. It almost sounds like the fan maybe tilts a little and rubs on something and makes a squealing noise. The harder I brake, the louder the sound. When the fan is NOT ON, this sound is NOT heard.
look to remove cabin air filter under dash,need to remove glove box.See threads on this site. Noise could be just leaves crackling when fan is on and air is forcing them against filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update! All is fixed. The water was in the console area due to the drain being clogged. I squeezed the rubber nipple on the bottom side of the floor pan and a bunch of water went shooting out. I took the fan apart, lubed it and put it back and it no longer makes the squeal. I also read the thread about taking the A/C heater blend motor actuator apart and that fixed my problem with this unit making a bunch of rattling noises. In addition to pushing the retainer on the motor shaft, I had to bend up the prongs that push against the bottom side of the larger wheel to create more pressure, thus holding it in place so it wouldn't rattle. Thanks for everyone's help with my Pilot's issues, this is a great forum!! The vehicle is much more pleasant to drive, not to mention the money I saved in doing the repairs myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An old thread, I realize that, but since I found it in a search while trying to resolve my issue, I thought perhaps others might benefit from some follow-up here. I was getting a strange screeching from one of the fans, sometimes coming on when braking hard or accelerating, and other times doing it non-stop no matter what I did. In reading this thread I saw the complications with removing the blower motor. I was able to remove the blower motor directly and without much hassle, and without removing the cross bar and trim parts. Removed two #2 Philips screws, and three T-25 screws, and voila! What helped me get the back screw on the blower motor was one of my bicycle tools that is a ratcheted bit driver (#2 and T-25) to ToPeak. Took out the blower motor, was able to plug it back in and 'bench' test it on the floorboard by turning on the ignition, and at least rule out that as the culprit. Now onto the blend door actuator (or hopefully just some oak leaves stuck somewhere rattling away).

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
An old thread, I realize that, but since I found it in a search while trying to resolve my issue, I thought perhaps others might benefit from some follow-up here. I was getting a strange screeching from one of the fans, sometimes coming on when braking hard or accelerating, and other times doing it non-stop no matter what I did. In reading this thread I saw the complications with removing the blower motor. I was able to remove the blower motor directly and without much hassle, and without removing the cross bar and trim parts. Removed two #2 Philips screws, and three T-25 screws, and voila! What helped me get the back screw on the blower motor was one of my bicycle tools that is a ratcheted bit driver (#2 and T-25) to ToPeak. Took out the blower motor, was able to plug it back in and 'bench' test it on the floorboard by turning on the ignition, and at least rule out that as the culprit. Now onto the blend door actuator (or hopefully just some oak leaves stuck somewhere rattling away).
(y) Thanks for the follow-up here and here: 2007 Pilot A/C blowing warm air

1 - 14 of 14 Posts