Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2004 Pilot LX - Key cutting costs

7K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  Conradore 
#1 ·
First post, please be gentle. ;^)

I'm new to the Pilot and bought a 2004 with 150K 4 days ago but it only came with one ignition key and one valet key. These are the simple key with no buttons, just the key with the RFID chip built in. I want to two extra ignition keys and called our local dealer but they wanted $169 a key to cut them? Yikes!

I then called the local locksmith and they wanted a minimum of $150, possibly more depending on the programming. Are these keys really that expensive to cut & program? I've gotten a brand new Range Rover key with the milled keyways, integrated RFID, alarm remote'fob, programmed at the dealer for $275... and that came with "free" espresso and snacks. lol

Thanks,
Ron
Portland, OR

#3 ·
My local ACE Harware is a No go on getting the pilot keys cut, etc.

I just got 2 more blanks from AliExpress- takes weeks.- they have the chip too.

I found a local Honda that will but only for about $30 a key?
I also bought the chip programmer thingy that plugs into the OBD port from Ali express a few months ago.- I already misplaced the last key I made! LOL
To program the FOB buttons is also in the owners manual, etc.

Once I have the chip programmer- it's not THAT expensive to do a key. Time consuming though.

Good luck.

Our resident expert PlPlPl should chime in anytime

#7 ·
I just got 2 more blanks from AliExpress- takes weeks.- they have the chip too.
Some AliExpress vendors have recently added key cutting keys to the keys they sell. It's dirt cheap for the peace of mind that comes with having extra keys, and it's dirt cheap compared to the places I had to hunt down a couple of years ago. If I had to do it now, that's the way I'd go.

While you're at it, why not upgrade to a flip key that won't gouge you in the groin? :)

Don't forget you need a programmed immobilizer chip. If you're not digging out your original one, as I did, you can get an immobilizer chips and a programmer for a heck of a lot less than a local dealer or whoever would charge.

#4 ·
Thanks for the ideas, it is appreciated. :)

I just checked the Ace HW key services on the web and they say they can copy/clone my key, but only about the 30% of the stores in the area have the capability.
I'm assuming they are just cutting the physical key and then copy the current key's RFID GUID into the new key's transponder chip.

Look like I need to start calling around the dealership looking for a non-stealership. (sigh)

#6 ·
In my jeep I had a similar issue, i did some digging on this subject and this is what a few people recommended.

Have a key cut to match your existing honda key without an RFID or not programmed. You don't need anything expensive, you just want to be sure this works first.

Pop the RFID off one of your existing keys... and initially tape it near the ignition.

Use the non-RFID key and make sure the ignition turns on and the car starts.

Then play with where you are comfortable properly securing the RFID.

The recommendation if I remember correctly was to super glue it behind the dash near the ignition. Make sure you test the location prior to gluing.

Really you can put it wherever the censor still picks up the signal.

Yes, I know you could screw yourself if the RFID ever falls off so pick your glue wisely or maybe use a magnetic hide a key box or something like this for behind the dash.

Either way good luck.

I think I may have won the cheapskate trophy for the month with this post (Sorry NailGrease).

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

#8 ·
In my jeep I had a similar issue, i did some digging on this subject and this is what a few people recommended.

Have a key cut to match your existing honda key without an RFID or not programmed. You don't need anything expensive, you just want to be sure this works first.

Pop the RFID off one of your existing keys... and initially tape it near the ignition.

Use the non-RFID key and make sure the ignition turns on and the car starts.

Then play with where you are comfortable properly securing the RFID.

The recommendation if I remember correctly was to super glue it behind the dash near the ignition. Make sure you test the location prior to gluing.

Really you can put it wherever the censor still picks up the signal.

Yes, I know you could screw yourself if the RFID ever falls off so pick your glue wisely or maybe use a magnetic hide a key box or something like this for behind the dash.

Either way good luck.

I think I may have won the cheapskate trophy for the month with this post (Sorry NailGrease).

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
OK, you get the prize for being a smart, lazy and cheap person. Well done! :geek:

We are tidying up the vehicle and once I get all the irritating things fixed we will be shipping this to Hawaii to be our local vehicle. Since it could sit from 2-3 month at a time, I would rather make it harder to steal. So gluing the RFID chip to near the ignition, while a most creative solution, but I still want it part of the key. Call me paranoid. lol

Thanks,
Ron

#12 ·
Don't believe me. Again I was thinking of the 2006-2008. My apologies.

If your 2004 key looks like this, and you're sure you don't want to dig out and transfer the immobilizer chip from a key you already have, then here's what I'd get in your place:

1. Get the blank key and have them cut it... 1.98US $ 14% OFF|KEYYOU Replacement Uncut Blade Blank Case Remote Car Key Transponder Ignition Shell For Honda CR V XR V Accord Civic Jade|Car Key| - AliExpress
  2. Get an ID13 immobilizer chip... 1.84US $ 14% OFF|KEYYOU Car key Transponder Chip ID13 glass Immobiliser For Audi For Fiat For Honda Lancia Saab For VW (New / Blank / Not Coded)|Car Key| - AliExpress
  3. Get one of these chip programmers to program your chip... honda easy key maker - Buy honda easy key maker with free shipping on AliExpress

#13 ·
OK, I just purchased 5 keys with the cutting service, the ID13 transponder chips and the programmer. Now we wait for literally the slow boat from China to get them to me.

I did spend an addition $14 for the programmer to get from Ebay, plus their device is supposed to be a new version. Ebay beats AliE hands down for dispute resolution... so call me paranoid.

I'll post a concise but thorough step-by-step of how to make this work... provided that it does work. ;^)

#14 ·
Now we wait for literally the slow boat from China to get them to me.
I literally took that, many years ago.

I did spend an addition $14 for the programmer to get from Ebay, plus their device is supposed to be a new version. Ebay beats AliE hands down for dispute resolution... so call me paranoid.
You got that right.I usually always win on both, but I've lost about three or four disputes on AliExpress but only one on eBay (fake capacity USB flash drive that fills up a bit in the beginning before it hits its real, much smaller capacity, but by that time the scammer seller has absconded).

I'll post a concise but thorough step-by-step of how to make this work... provided that it does work. ;^)
Great, and I've got my fingers crossed for you.

#16 ·
Well I got the EasyKeyMaker gizmo two days ago from the ebay purchase, now just waiting for keys to arrive to begin the experiment.
Also, we had a "misplaced key" scare so I found the out local and exceptional Suburban Ace Hardware copies Honda keys for $69.95. I had that done just for piece of mind, took 5 mins and works perfectly.
Now one question about the standard honda key vs the gray valet key. Is the valet key just missing the transponder chip? That seems strange to me, since having the valet not be able to start the car seem counterproductive.

#17 ·
Now one question about the standard honda key vs the gray valet key. Is the valet key just missing the transponder chip? That seems strange to me, since having the valet not be able to start the car seem counterproductive.
I believe the gray valet key has the immobilizer chip embedded, so it can start the car, but lacks the fob for keyless entry. I think I recall reading it doesn't unlock the glove compartment, since I guess Honda engineers figured that's where most of us keep our Glocks when we go out for fine dining. :D

#18 ·
Thanks, and sorry for the slow response, been out of town. I talked with the dealer and the valet key is supposed to have the immobilize chip in it and should start the car, but evidently ours is messed up. Either the transponder got damaged or the keys were programmed without the valet key present.

Anyways, I just got all the keys and the transponder chips. However, I can't get the Easy Key Maker to do anything other then flash the leds. After researching the web, the switch (unmarked, of course :ROFLMAO:) need be towards the LED for the immobilizer. After many attempts, I can't get the darn thing to make a single beep. Maybe I got a defective one, but have a support question in the ebay seller.

The keys themselves are cut well enough to use the locks and ignition and they did it all from a mobile phone photo. The milling they did is deeper than the factory keys, but they still work.

#19 ·
#21 ·
If the seller doesn't respond in a timely and satisfactory manner, get your money back before the deadline. You can also communicate with these sellers and ask for clear instructions on how to get it to work, and if the one you have still doesn't work, buy one from the seller with the best response using your refund from the first one.

However, they all appear to be pretty much the same device. Other Piloteers have seemingly gotten it to work.

Otherwise, there's always the dealership. Just don't forget your fat wallet at home. :mad:

#22 ·
OK, I'm finally getting my refund from the seller, although Ebay had to step in. I spend the morning looking at aliexpress and have 3 options that all look the same, and was hoping someone had ordered something from one of them with a positive experience.

Door #1: 35.63US $ 20% OFF|OBD2 Diagnostic Tool EasyKeyMaker For Honda Key Programmer Supports For Honda/for Acura Including All Keys Lost Easy Key Maker|Auto Key Programmers| - AliExpress

Door #2: 34.99US $ 10% OFF|Key programmer for Honda Easy Key Maker Registering Key By OBDII Quick Key Register for Honda/Acura with Best price offer|Auto Key Programmers| - AliExpress

Door #3: 36.99US $ 10% OFF|Newest Easy Key Maker For Honda Auto Key Programmer Registering OBDⅡ Diagnostic Tools Including All Keys Lost Support Acura|Auto Key Programmers| - AliExpress

The prices are effectively the same, but I think getting a functional Easy Key Maker is more based on luck.

Any suggestions before I go "eeni meeni miini moh"?

#23 ·
#24 ·
An update to the saga. Both the the_todd and sailorwin responded to my requests and I purchased one directly off of aliexpress. The trouble was the Pilot was being shipped to Hawaii by the time the new EasyKeyMaker arrived. So I tried it on a friend 2002 Accord... and got the the same results. No beep. So I tried it on another friend's 04 Accord and got the same result. So I started a dispute with Aliexpress and supposedly I should be getting a refund sometime before I die.

So then I said screw it, and I purchased a $190 CK-100 programmer from Amazon with prime and full refund in time for our trip to Hawaii. Check youtube for videos, but I got the process CK-100 to work, kinda. The first step is erase all the keys (which is a pucker moment:oops: ) and then program all the keys. The max number of keys that can be programmed are 5 using the tool.

After 3 attempts... no joy. Only the original factory key took the programing and all the other key gave me the dashboard "green key flashes of disappointment". So I'm now believe that the CK-100 tool works but their is something wrong with transponder chips I have.

I just went to the Keyyou site and realized that the transponder keys I received were "blank" and even though I ordered the ID13 transponder, I got something with the T5 shape. So I looked like I need to confirm that the transponders keys are the correct frequency and have an ID programming in them.

If any one else who has done this on an older Pilot could share what the transponder looked like would be appreciated. The pics on Keyyou site has something the looks like a small glass capsule for ID13... but I received something that looks like a T5 shape (plastic sliver/wedge).

Stay tuned. I hope be successful by the end of the year. lol

#25 ·
Hang in there.

My immobilizer chip looks like this. I know because I extracted it and inserted it into my new flipkeys.

Automotive tire Font Auto part Circle Rim

Automotive lighting Camera accessory Font Automotive exterior Headlamp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.