Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, please be gentle. ;^)

I'm new to the Pilot and bought a 2004 with 150K 4 days ago but it only came with one ignition key and one valet key. These are the simple key with no buttons, just the key with the RFID chip built in. I want to two extra ignition keys and called our local dealer but they wanted $169 a key to cut them? Yikes!

I then called the local locksmith and they wanted a minimum of $150, possibly more depending on the programming. Are these keys really that expensive to cut & program? I've gotten a brand new Range Rover key with the milled keyways, integrated RFID, alarm remote'fob, programmed at the dealer for $275... and that came with "free" espresso and snacks. lol

Thanks,
Ron
Portland, OR

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a local hardware store that cuts and programs keys. They are a lot cheaper on most keys I have had them do.
This is a mom and pop place. They are actually really good for other odd ball keys too.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
My local ACE Harware is a No go on getting the pilot keys cut, etc.

I just got 2 more blanks from AliExpress- takes weeks.- they have the chip too.

I found a local Honda that will but only for about $30 a key?
I also bought the chip programmer thingy that plugs into the OBD port from Ali express a few months ago.- I already misplaced the last key I made! LOL
To program the FOB buttons is also in the owners manual, etc.

Once I have the chip programmer- it's not THAT expensive to do a key. Time consuming though.

Good luck.

Our resident expert PlPlPl should chime in anytime

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas, it is appreciated. :)

I just checked the Ace HW key services on the web and they say they can copy/clone my key, but only about the 30% of the stores in the area have the capability.
I'm assuming they are just cutting the physical key and then copy the current key's RFID GUID into the new key's transponder chip.

Look like I need to start calling around the dealership looking for a non-stealership. (sigh)

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
348 Posts
My local locksmith got two new keys cut, and programmed the immobilizer/ key fob for about $210 just last week.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
592 Posts
In my jeep I had a similar issue, i did some digging on this subject and this is what a few people recommended.

Have a key cut to match your existing honda key without an RFID or not programmed. You don't need anything expensive, you just want to be sure this works first.

Pop the RFID off one of your existing keys... and initially tape it near the ignition.

Use the non-RFID key and make sure the ignition turns on and the car starts.

Then play with where you are comfortable properly securing the RFID.

The recommendation if I remember correctly was to super glue it behind the dash near the ignition. Make sure you test the location prior to gluing.

Really you can put it wherever the censor still picks up the signal.

Yes, I know you could screw yourself if the RFID ever falls off so pick your glue wisely or maybe use a magnetic hide a key box or something like this for behind the dash.

Either way good luck.

I think I may have won the cheapskate trophy for the month with this post (Sorry NailGrease).

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,305 Posts
I just got 2 more blanks from AliExpress- takes weeks.- they have the chip too.
Some AliExpress vendors have recently added key cutting keys to the keys they sell. It's dirt cheap for the peace of mind that comes with having extra keys, and it's dirt cheap compared to the places I had to hunt down a couple of years ago. If I had to do it now, that's the way I'd go.

While you're at it, why not upgrade to a flip key that won't gouge you in the groin? :)

Don't forget you need a programmed immobilizer chip. If you're not digging out your original one, as I did, you can get an immobilizer chips and a programmer for a heck of a lot less than a local dealer or whoever would charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my jeep I had a similar issue, i did some digging on this subject and this is what a few people recommended.

Have a key cut to match your existing honda key without an RFID or not programmed. You don't need anything expensive, you just want to be sure this works first.

Pop the RFID off one of your existing keys... and initially tape it near the ignition.

Use the non-RFID key and make sure the ignition turns on and the car starts.

Then play with where you are comfortable properly securing the RFID.

The recommendation if I remember correctly was to super glue it behind the dash near the ignition. Make sure you test the location prior to gluing.

Really you can put it wherever the censor still picks up the signal.

Yes, I know you could screw yourself if the RFID ever falls off so pick your glue wisely or maybe use a magnetic hide a key box or something like this for behind the dash.

Either way good luck.

I think I may have won the cheapskate trophy for the month with this post (Sorry NailGrease).

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
OK, you get the prize for being a smart, lazy and cheap person. Well done! :geek:

We are tidying up the vehicle and once I get all the irritating things fixed we will be shipping this to Hawaii to be our local vehicle. Since it could sit from 2-3 month at a time, I would rather make it harder to steal. So gluing the RFID chip to near the ignition, while a most creative solution, but I still want it part of the key. Call me paranoid. lol

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some AliExpress vendors have recently added key cutting keys to the keys they sell. It's dirt cheap for the peace of mind that comes with having extra keys, and it's dirt cheap compared to the places I had to hunt down a couple of years ago. If I had to do it now, that's the way I'd go.

While you're at it, why not upgrade to a flip key that won't gouge you in the groin? :)

Don't forget you need a programmed immobilizer chip. If you're not digging out your original one, as I did, you can get an immobilizer chips and a programmer for a heck of a lot less than a local dealer or whoever would charge.

I like puzzles so the aboves sounds like fun. ;^)

We don't have keyless entry yet, I'm still searching for an KLE assembly harness off a wrecked LX (EX had a very different hardness with some of the features integrated). Get the actual wireless module is easy and I ordered that from HondaPartsCheap.com. HomePartsNow.com accepted my order for the harness assembly but cancelled it two days later saying it was discontinued. (sigh) Now I have to search junkyards for an 03-05 LX with KLE.

I'm looking for just the key with the RFID holder, no build in FOB. So I think I need to order this:
1.17US $ 15% OFF|KEYYOU New Uncut Replace remote car key Transponder Ignition for honda CR V XR V Accord Civic Jade No Chip|Car Key| - AliExpress
... and then use they their key cutting service.

Now I'm trying to puzzle out which RFID chip I need to purchase. From this website:
https://www.transpondery.com/transponder_catalog/honda_transponder_catalog.html it looks like I have:
HONDA PILOT - 2003-2005 Transponder Megamos13 / ID13 / Silca: 13 / JMA: TP05

So I'm looking for RFID chip with ID13, correct?

Thanks,
Ron
Portland, OR

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
We don't have keyless entry yet, I'm still searching for an KLE assembly harness off a wrecked LX (EX had a very different hardness with some of the features integrated). Get the actual wireless module is easy and I ordered that from HondaPartsCheap.com. HomePartsNow.com accepted my order for the harness assembly but cancelled it two days later saying it was discontinued. (sigh) Now I have to search junkyards for an 03-05 LX with KLE.

I'm looking for just the key with the RFID holder, no build in FOB. So I think I need to order this:
1.17US $ 15% OFF|KEYYOU New Uncut Replace remote car key Transponder Ignition for honda CR V XR V Accord Civic Jade No Chip|Car Key| - AliExpress
... and then use they their key cutting service.
Right. I keep forgetting some model years don't have fobs for keyless entry.

Now I'm trying to puzzle out which RFID chip I need to purchase.
From above, this ought to do ya, if you're not digging out your original immobilizer chip and transferring it. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
plplplpl--

Maybe I'm not understanding, but the chip listed above is ID20, I thought I needed ID13 for early Gen1? If you say it works, I'll believe you. ;^)

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
plplplpl--

Maybe I'm not understanding, but the chip listed above is ID20, I thought I needed ID13 for early Gen1? If you say it works, I'll believe you. ;^)

Thanks,
Ron
Don't believe me. Again I was thinking of the 2006-2008. My apologies.

If your 2004 key looks like this, and you're sure you don't want to dig out and transfer the immobilizer chip from a key you already have, then here's what I'd get in your place:

1. Get the blank key and have them cut it... 1.98US $ 14% OFF|KEYYOU Replacement Uncut Blade Blank Case Remote Car Key Transponder Ignition Shell For Honda CR V XR V Accord Civic Jade|Car Key| - AliExpress
  2. Get an ID13 immobilizer chip... 1.84US $ 14% OFF|KEYYOU Car key Transponder Chip ID13 glass Immobiliser For Audi For Fiat For Honda Lancia Saab For VW (New / Blank / Not Coded)|Car Key| - AliExpress
  3. Get one of these chip programmers to program your chip... honda easy key maker - Buy honda easy key maker with free shipping on AliExpress

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I just purchased 5 keys with the cutting service, the ID13 transponder chips and the programmer. Now we wait for literally the slow boat from China to get them to me.

I did spend an addition $14 for the programmer to get from Ebay, plus their device is supposed to be a new version. Ebay beats AliE hands down for dispute resolution... so call me paranoid.

I'll post a concise but thorough step-by-step of how to make this work... provided that it does work. ;^)

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Now we wait for literally the slow boat from China to get them to me.
I literally took that, many years ago.

I did spend an addition $14 for the programmer to get from Ebay, plus their device is supposed to be a new version. Ebay beats AliE hands down for dispute resolution... so call me paranoid.
You got that right.I usually always win on both, but I've lost about three or four disputes on AliExpress but only one on eBay (fake capacity USB flash drive that fills up a bit in the beginning before it hits its real, much smaller capacity, but by that time the scammer seller has absconded).

I'll post a concise but thorough step-by-step of how to make this work... provided that it does work. ;^)
Great, and I've got my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got the EasyKeyMaker gizmo two days ago from the ebay purchase, now just waiting for keys to arrive to begin the experiment.
Also, we had a "misplaced key" scare so I found the out local and exceptional Suburban Ace Hardware copies Honda keys for $69.95. I had that done just for piece of mind, took 5 mins and works perfectly.
Now one question about the standard honda key vs the gray valet key. Is the valet key just missing the transponder chip? That seems strange to me, since having the valet not be able to start the car seem counterproductive.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Now one question about the standard honda key vs the gray valet key. Is the valet key just missing the transponder chip? That seems strange to me, since having the valet not be able to start the car seem counterproductive.
I believe the gray valet key has the immobilizer chip embedded, so it can start the car, but lacks the fob for keyless entry. I think I recall reading it doesn't unlock the glove compartment, since I guess Honda engineers figured that's where most of us keep our Glocks when we go out for fine dining. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, and sorry for the slow response, been out of town. I talked with the dealer and the valet key is supposed to have the immobilize chip in it and should start the car, but evidently ours is messed up. Either the transponder got damaged or the keys were programmed without the valet key present.

Anyways, I just got all the keys and the transponder chips. However, I can't get the Easy Key Maker to do anything other then flash the leds. After researching the web, the switch (unmarked, of course :ROFLMAO:) need be towards the LED for the immobilizer. After many attempts, I can't get the darn thing to make a single beep. Maybe I got a defective one, but have a support question in the ebay seller.

The keys themselves are cut well enough to use the locks and ignition and they did it all from a mobile phone photo. The milling they did is deeper than the factory keys, but they still work.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Thanks, and sorry for the slow response, been out of town. I talked with the dealer and the valet key is supposed to have the immobilize chip in it and should start the car, but evidently ours is messed up. Either the transponder got damaged or the keys were programmed without the valet key present.

Anyways, I just got all the keys and the transponder chips. However, I can't get the Easy Key Maker to do anything other then flash the leds. After researching the web, the switch (unmarked, of course :ROFLMAO:) need be towards the LED for the immobilizer. After many attempts, I can't get the darn thing to make a single beep. Maybe I got a defective one, but have a support question in the ebay seller.

The keys themselves are cut well enough to use the locks and ignition and they did it all from a mobile phone photo. The milling they did is deeper than the factory keys, but they still work.
Which eBay seller? Post the link and let others know if it ends up working or not.

If not, you might try your luck with one of these.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts