Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 pilot gets bogged down and smells like sulfur one or 2 times a week it won't start. any help on a fix??

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Is the Check Engine Light on? If so, get the trouble codes. Auto parts store will help with this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
180,000 , clean oil every 2 months with air and oil filters, and new battery, with new wiring to + stater, - engine and frame i think its the cat converter its ruff boggy sounding then after i just about kill the batter it starts then runs fine. im baffled ??

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
534 Posts
first thing I do with any engine that's running rough is I verify that it has FRESH FUEL. then I dump in some seafoam and run the engine, whether it be a lawn mower, or trimmer or whatever. The engine needs to get up to operating temp to see if the issue persists or gets worse or better. how's the pressure of exhaust flow coming out the tailpipe when engine RPM is up?

·
Super Moderator
4,106 Posts
i think its the cat converter its ruff boggy sounding then after i just about kill the batter it starts then runs fine. im baffled ??
With the Pilot age and mileage the CAT could be suspect but there are other things to cross off the list like valve adjustment, spark plugs, egr, pcv etc. The pic will show you what a PIA it could be to replace an old CAT 🐱 legally.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX
185 Posts
With the Pilot age and mileage the CAT could be suspect but there are other things to cross off the list like valve adjustment, spark plugs, egr, pcv etc. The pic will show you what a PIA it could be to replace an old CAT 🐱 legally.
If it has to come off, Muttley'll come to help with this demon blade. And you and he can have the last laugh. 🤣
Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Logo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no codes show up
Is the Check Engine Light on? If so, get the trouble codes. Auto parts store will help with this.
no light at all just every week or so it won't start without giving off this burnt smell, and I have to
{turn her over} for a good 10 min to bring her back from the dead, kinda like my wife, she smells better.lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
first thing I do with any engine that's running rough is I verify that it has FRESH FUEL. then I dump in some seafoam and run the engine, whether it be a lawn mower, or trimmer or whatever. The engine needs to get up to operating temp to see if the issue persists or gets worse or better. how's the pressure of exhaust flow coming out the tailpipe when engine RPM is up?
pressure is ok most the time the smell is like a sulfur smell
no light at all just every week or so it won't start without giving off this burnt smell, and I have to
{turn her over} for a good 10 min to bring her back from the dead, kinda like my wife, she smells better.lol
now engine light on but no codes??

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts