Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interior lights will not turn on when driver door is opened but when all other doors are opened the lights turn on. I have checked that the door activated switch is to the on position so that’s not the issue. All interior lights work fine otherwise it is just a bit annoying.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,267 Posts
I have checked that the door activated switch is to the on position so that’s not the issue.
If you've wiggled it and jiggled it and still no joy...

it's most likely the microswitch up in your light. There's a good chance you can fix it yourself and save a bundle.

Dome light microswitch broken

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Button itself seems to work fine if you push it up for all the lights to be on its just the door activation for driver door only that doesn’t seem to make the lights come on.
If you've wiggled it and jiggled it and still no joy...

it's most likely the microswitch up in your light. There's a good chance you can fix it yourself and save a bundle.

Dome light microswitch broken

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
The Button itself seems to work fine if you push it up for all the lights to be on its just the door activation for driver door only that doesn’t seem to make the lights come on.
It happens a lot. I even bought a couple of those microswitches preemptively, and guess what, now I've got to change one myself. The threads I linked to show where to get that microswitch, where it's located and how to change it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Interior lights will not turn on when driver door is opened but when all other doors are opened the lights turn on. I have checked that the door activated switch is to the on position so that’s not the issue. All interior lights work fine otherwise it is just a bit annoying.
Just because the button switch goes in and out does not mean it is making electrical contact. The only way to know for sure is to test it with a multi meter, or spend the few dollars it costs to get a new one and replace it.

It could also be a broken wire for the switch in the flex housing that all the wires run through from the vehicle into the door. That is not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,839 Posts
My guess is the door switch internal contacts are bad or the switch isn’t making good contact with the chassis (on my Tacoma when I was doing a modification I noted the switch only has a single wire; chassis is the return path. I’m guessing Honda is the same.). I don’t suspect a broken wire since the switch is mounted on the B-pillar so the wire won’t be flexing.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
My guess is the door switch internal contacts are bad or the switch isn’t making good contact with the chassis (on my Tacoma when I was doing a modification I noted the switch only has a single wire; chassis is the return path. I’m guessing Honda is the same.). I don’t suspect a broken wire since the switch is mounted on the B-pillar so the wire won’t be flexing.
Good call, I forgot about it being on the door jam. Had a vehicle many years ago that had the switch on the front of the door body itself. It was also the only vehicle I ever owned that had a door switch go bad. Back then it was just a common pushbutton switch.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
How about a virtual 🍺 when it turns out to be the door jamb switch which fixes the💡issue.🙂

·
Registered
9,267 Posts

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
How about a virtual 🍺 when it turns out to be the door jamb switch which fixes the💡issue.🙂
Just reread and yeah, OP says all lights. So most likely door jamb switch or its wiring. I better stock up on virtual 🍺. Next round may be on me.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Just reread and yeah, OP says all lights. So most likely door jamb switch or its wiring. I better stock up on virtual 🍺. Next round may be on me.
Virtual my arse! All 12,700 of us here each expects a 6 pack of Moosehead Lager in the mail to each and every one of us pronto ya hoser. 😀 😆 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Virtual my arse! All 12,700 of us here each expects a 6 pack of Moosehead Lager in the mail to each and every one of us pronto ya hoser. 😀 😆 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Moosehead is a great lager. I’ve found it at BevMo from time to time.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Oh you betcha. I get it, my Kansan friend, and truly sympathize.

Why is Kansas beer like making whoopie in a canoe?

Because they're both fDo I really have to spell it out for you?ing close to water. 😀 😆 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :p

OP, please post back with what solved your problem.:)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I think we might have scared OP away. Too bad since I was looking forward to that virtual beer.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Pity. Hope OP comes back. But if not, I'll donate it all to a good cause: the slight dryness I'm feeling in the back of my throat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts