Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked toward my vehicle in the parking lot, and the door locks did not respond to the keyfob. Headlights & parking lights did not blink.

I have replaced the battery and checked inside of the keyfob for water damage or corrosion. There is none.

I did not take a multimeter to the the buttons.

Is there ANY suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it light up when you press any of the buttons?
If you mean the keyfob, mine is the type that is separated from the ignition key. I do not have a key for the doors (bought used). There are no lights on the keyfob.

A locksmith just got me open but now every time I open and close the doors, the horn alarm goes off.

I was going to try disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took out the horn relay. But headlights are blinking due to alarm going off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you mean the keyfob, mine is the type that is separated from the ignition key. I do not have a key for the doors (bought used). There are no lights on the keyfob.

A locksmith just got me open but now every time I open and close the doors, the horn alarm goes off.

I was going to try disconnecting the battery.
It should have a light at the top of it if it’s this style.

Peripheral Input device Grey Font Technology

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh... Thanks for the pic. Maybe I've seen it, maybe I haven't, but I didn't realize it was there during this whole ordeal.

For the record, it does not light. So it must be the key fob.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
Or the battery. It's easy to put a new one in upside-down without noticing. +/- vs. -/+

If that doesn't help, test the battery. Some have been on the shelf well beyond their shelf life, particularly from some less than reliable internet sources. Where did you get yours?

If your battery tests good (use a multimeter), then the next step is to get another fob (or two, especially if you only have the one). Fortunately, you can get them pretty cheap nowadays if you can wait for delivery from AliExpress.

10.84US $ 16% OFF|Keyecu for Honda Civic Pilot 2003 2004 2005 Remote Control Car Key Fob 433MHz NHVWB1U523 NHVWB1U521|Car Key| - AliExpress

12.99US $ 40% OFF|433Mhz Remote Control Keyless Key Fob NHVWB1U523 For Honda 2001 2005 Civic EX LX,2003 2004 PILOT,2003 2005 ELEMENT 3 Buttons|Car Key| - AliExpress

12.89US $ 25% OFF|2+1 Buttons Keyless Entry Remote Car Key 433Mhz For Honda Civic EX LX Pilot Element 2003 2004 NHVWB1U521 NHVWB1U523 Key|Car Key| - AliExpress

Or even treat yourself to an upgrade to an all-in-one flipkey. I did and would never go back to the stabber key regularly causing unseemly pain while in my pocket. :eek:

20.15US $ 12% OFF|KEYECU Upgraded Flip Remote Key With 3 1 4 Buttons 433MHz T5 Chip FOB for Honda Odyssey Pilot 2003 2004 2005 FCC ID: A269ZUA101|Car Key| - AliExpress

You can also pays yer money and takes yer chances on eBay, which if you're careful may be OK. You pay more but the shipping is nominally faster.

2004 honda pilot key fob | eBay

Finally, reprogram the fob(s) yourself. The attached PDF is how the 2006 Service Manual says to do it. Going from II to I is what did it for me.
Have all remotes for the vehicle on hand. Make sure all the doors and rear hatch/trunk are closed during programming. Only need to use 1remote to get into program mode but all remotes must be programmed during the same session. Each step must be completed within 5 seconds.​
1. Sit in the car with all doors/trunk tightly closed​
2. Turn the key to the ON position, marked by "II" on the ignition bezel so the dash lights come on, then within 5 seconds press the "Lock" button on the remote for 1 second or so and release the button.​
3. Turn the key to the OFF position, marked by "I" on the ignition bezel - dash lights go off.​
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 three more times (A total of 4 times) -- each step must be done within 5 seconds of the previous step.​
5. Upon the 4th turning of the key to "ON", press the lock button on one remote, the locks will make a cycling sound (clunk), locks will NOT lock or unlock at this point, they will just make a noise. The system is now in programming mode. Do not turn key off.​
6. Within 5 seconds of entering programming mode and within 5 seconds of each other, press the lock button ON EACH remote you are programming, for a second or so and release. This step needs to be completed within 10 seconds. Each time a remote button is pushed, the locks should cycle. Up to 3 remotes can be programmed.​
7. Turn ignition completely off and remove the key. Step out of car and close door. The remotes should be programmed and should work. If you have a trunk/hatch release, the button for this feature needs to be held for a few seconds before the trunk/hatch will "pop".​
Here's a video that might also help.​
Keep trying, it eventually does work, if your fobs are good. In the end, what finally worked for me when using the method that goes from II to 0 didn't work: Going from II to I is what did it for me.

The last step is to call the dealership, ask them what they would charge, laugh and thank them all the same, then use the amount you saved as the deciding factor for what kind of restaurant you take the little lady out to, a place with real linen tablecloths or what I went with to get my money's worth. :)

Water Shorts Human Organism Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could be bad fobs. Both my originals on my 03 died.

Just test batteries, if not there’s plenty of aftermarket ones for cheap. I bought two from Amazon that work just fine.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts